Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Perazzi High Tech RS and am thinking of a recoil reduction system but do not want to get rid of the existing very nice stock. So, the Prosoft and StockLock are out. I am thinking about the RAD 2a or the SoftTouch. The big advantage of the SoftTouch would seem to be that the comb does not recoil so there is no friction on your face. Any comments and pros/cons on these would be appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Since you have put the money in a High Tech I would go with the best in my opinion which is a Prosoft. Unless he has changed he no longer uses a customers stock which would be what you want to do anyway. Phil can be hard to work with for some, not me, but for about 4k you will have a fitted stock to match your top end gun.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I cannot speak to the SoftTouch, I've never used one.

But I have been shooting a RAD 2A for the past 5 months and I am very happy with it. Well made, does its job well and looks good.
I haven't had an issue with the fact the comb moves with the stock rather than the butt plate. I believe that depends a lot on how an individual mounts and holds their gun.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I’ve had both, and I prefer the soft touch, nothing wrong with the rad, I just thinkThe soft touch is better looking, and you don’t have the comb sliding on your cheek, That said before you buy either I would urge you to shoot a gun equipped with these devices, I no longer use either one on any of my guns

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I've had softtouch, g- square, stock lock and now shooting a pro soft. If I didn't have the pro soft I'd still be using the soft touch. Shot a few guns that buddies had rads on and didn't care for the movement of the gun past my cheek. They on the other hand loved them. You pay your money and take your choices. After shooting the prosoft I won't be going back to the other systems. Last time I checked the soft touch with the mag lock was north of 1000 dollars. For the additional money for the prosoft was well worth it.

Phil can be hard to work with for some, not me,
I went to Phil's shop which was a 18 hour drive and couldn't have been treated any better. Met him at the shop in the morning, shot some patterns and took some measurements. Went back the next day and the stock was roughed out, on the gun and I shot it on the trap behind the shop. Things felt good and I shot it from may until the grand and gave it back to him there to finish. I was at the shop in April and got the stock back finished around the end of October. It looks great and I shoot it well. I wouldn't call that hard to deal with. He's always great to talk to at the shoots and went out of his way to make sure I was happy with the stock. I'll be talking to him soon about another one for my other k-80 this spring. I'm pretty tight and kind of a hard a$$ about things being right. Phil did great making me happy.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I’ve had both, and I prefer the soft touch, nothing wrong with the rad, I just thinkThe soft touch is better looking, and you don’t have the comb sliding on your cheek, That said before you buy either I would urge you to shoot a gun equipped with these devices, I no longer use either one on any of my guns
You make a good point. Some people cant get used to the gun movement, especially shooting doubles. Its definitely a good idea to try one first if you can.

·
Administrator
8,589 Posts
I have owned several shotguns with Rad 2's and a couple with the soft touch system.

I currently have a older ljutic mono with a soft touch and it is a very soft shooting reliable unit. Not as easy to change LOP but if you are not concerned with that then the soft touch will treat you right.

I currently own two Caesar G. summit trap models and bot of them have RAD2's on them, if you shoot in changing seasons and need to change LOP they are a great unit at a affordable price. From time to time you have to check your set screws as they will loosen up. The recoil reduction is fine and you can make adjustment easily.

As others have stated you will want to try shotguns with these units on them, also of note is that if you are wanting to keep your existing stock then the work by soft touch or a rad install will permanently alter them.

Sure a pro soft or a stock lok is more expensive but you are not altering your original stock if preserving it is important to you.
They are both excellent units and would serve you well.

My dad has a extremely nice stock on his CG invictus 1 and has a stock lok for it as he did not want to alter the original stock in any way.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree with the Soft Touch, have had a couple of them and they work great. I've also had Counter Coil on a few guns and while they work well the Soft Touch is much better in the face as others here have stated.

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
I can't comment on the soft touch, because I've never had the opportunity to shoot a gun that had one installed.
Judging by the comments here, it sounds awesome. I can comment on the RAD unit, because all three of my Trap Guns have them installed. One is over 10 years old and I shoot a lot. I've never had an issue with any of them and really like the ease of adjustability of the RAD unit.
Good Luck with your decision, I do not feel you can go wrong with either.
MG

·
Registered
632 Posts
I can’t speak to either of your options but I can speak to the comb moving. I bought a gun with a gracoil on it last year and at first thought I made a mistake. It felt really strange having the comb slide past my face. It didn’t take long to get used to it though, probably only 300-500 rounds and I don’t even notice it. I’m glad I didn’t have the opportunity to try one first because I would never have bought it and now I really like it.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I love my Rad IIa. I’ve had it since I bought my 682 about 8-9 years ago. That said, I can not see how the Soft Touch isn’t better simply because of the comb.

I’ll will add, the Rad IIa is stupid easy to adjust.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I needed more toe out after shoulder surgery --My Rad and Gracoil was a simple adjustments -Soft touch I needed a new plate --Still prefer the soft touch

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Very positive experience with a titanium soft touch with the magnet system. I am distracted when I feel a gun collapse.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Just a note to anyone looking for a Soft Touch system - they are backlogged 3-4 months so get on the waiting list!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a note to anyone looking for a Soft Touch system - they are backlogged 3-4 months so get on the waiting list!

Thanks. I am kind of leaning to the Soft Touch. We don't have our league shoots here in Arizona in the summer because of the heat. I was thinking about checking on it then. I guess I better call them in the next few days and see about getting on the list.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a soft touch. I love it. Rads don’t come close. One of the major installers admitted this to me.

A friend got one and he really wasn’t sure it was making much difference.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Something to think about, rad makes their own sliding comb hardware that works with the rad2, it’s called a rad 3 system. This gives you the fully adjustable comb, and moves in conjunction with your rad 2 unit so no friction/rubbing on your face. Everyone I’ve installed these for seems to like them including myself.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I would likely try a Falconstrike recoil reduction pad prior to equipping a beautiful gun with a recoil device.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts