Trapshooters Forum banner

RAD Recoil System with Sliding Comb

2242 Views 16 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  BENCHREST
Hey guys, with all the wealth of knowledge of forum members , I bet someone can enlighten me regarding the RAD Recoil System with the sliding comb.

I have done my due diligence. I know about RAD #1 and RAD #2 and have viewed the website and viewed the diagrams. What I cannot seem to find is any information regarding the RAD #2 with the sliding comb option.

Can any of my fellow forum members point me in the right direction?

thanks,

Doc
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Well known trouble maker
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not yet called them as I am sure they are closed.

I will tomorrow.

I am not looking to purchase one. I acquired a gun that is equipped with one and want to learn about the device.

Just thought in the meantime I might find some answers from our knowledgeable members.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
I have been waiting patiently for the Bi Star Candy Company to open up! Some areas know the breakthrough chocolates as being chocolate covered raisins, I have an inside from the Hopper there may be a more wasteful ingredient to bring them to the top of the bowl!

· Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Doc , let me tell you a story about the experimental Rad-4 stock I had on a 682Gold E top single combo . Through a very good friend gunsmith & stock maker north of St.Joe Missouri who was a very good friend of the Rad people in Marysville Mo I was able to buy and try out one of the first couple Rad 4 stocks they made . It was their version of a PFS . It was a great stock and a very soft shooter . The cheek piece looked like the black plastic thin one on a PFS except the cheek side was shiny black metal flake . The bottom side resembled a plastic version of a basket weave belt or holster . Shot it a butt load for over 2 years until one day the cheek piece fell off . It was some special kind of epoxy around the edge of it that held it to the aluminum block underneath . That bead stayed in place so I was able to place it back in place then carefully cheek it to finish the event . I found out the hard way the next weekend that Super Glue is worthless on carbon fiber . Called the Rad people on Monday and they sent me their "New" style cheek piece free of charge . Come to find out their new one looked just like a hard wooden cheek piece and was about 3/4 of an inch thick . well needless to say going from something as thick as a quarter to something 3/4 of an inch thick was never going to work on a low rib top single gun with no up and down adjustment . They ended up refunding my money to me . They never put this stock into total production . I put the wood back on the gun and could not hit my ass with it . That is when my journey into the world of 90-T Rem`s began.... 6 guns total and the prototype " Lamby Special Signature Edition" still serves my needs . The Rad folks are really GREAT people and their products are top notch .

· Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I have been waiting patiently for the Bi Star Candy Company to open up! Some areas know the breakthrough chocolates as being chocolate covered raisins, I have an inside from the Hopper there may be a more wasteful ingredient to bring them to the top of the bowl!
Those are not chocolate covered Raisins . Those are the "Droppings" from under the Rabbit Hutches at the Bi-Star Petting Zoo that have been chocolate covered .

4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of the stock equipped with the RAD system with the sliding comb.

The existing comb was utilized and has the black leather (faux) covering.

From my research so far, I don't think this is the short lived RAD 4.

Still looking for info.

Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Material property

And now just for giggles and grins............

Those are not chocolate covered Raisins . Those are the "Droppings" from under the Rabbit Hutches at the Bi-Star Petting Zoo that have been chocolate covered .

Food Ingredient Font Cuisine Dish

4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What questions do you have? We have installed around 15 of those units many years ago

Thanks for responding Joe.

I want to adjust the LOP and understand how to do that via the instructions on the website and I have the wrench. What I do not know before I pull the unit is how it is connected to the comb and I do not want to mess that up.

I would call you and ask you these questions in person but I would need my New York Dialect interpreter and he is still being held for questioning after that unfortunate incident at the strip club last night. ;)

· Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for responding Joe.

I want to adjust the LOP and understand how to do that via the instructions on the website and I have the wrench. What I do not know before I pull the unit is how it is connected to the comb and I do not want to mess that up.

I would call you and ask you these questions in person but I would need my New York Dialect interpreter and he is still being held for questioning after that unfortunate incident at the strip club last night. ;)
I also installed several of those when I was in the stock alteration business. What you have is called the RAD3. It is basicall a RAD2a connected to a sliding comb mechanism.

To change the LOP use the folowing sequence EXACTLY: Remove the comb. With an 1/8" Allen wrench, loosen the machine screw in the center of the comb mechanism that is now visable ONLY 1/2 TURN - no more. On the RAD system, loosen the (2) set screws on the side of the mounting plate and adjust the LOP to the desired length as normal (if it doesn't move, there may exist some "keeper" set screws in those two threaded holes that you'll have to remove before getting to the actual set screws that hold the LOP). After adjusting your LOP, tighten the two LOP set screws on the RAD and THEN tighten the machine screw on the slider mechanism. Replace your comb and go shooting! It sounds more confusing than it actually is. Simple once you get the sequence down just right. Good luck!

4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also installed several of those when I was in the stock alteration business. What you have is called the RAD3. It is basicall a RAD2a connected to a sliding comb mechanism.

To change the LOP use the folowing sequence EXACTLY: Remove the comb. With an 1/8" Allen wrench, loosen the machine screw in the center of the comb mechanism that is now visable ONLY 1/2 TURN - no more. On the RAD system, loosen the (2) set screws on the side of the mounting plate and adjust the LOP to the desired length as normal (if it doesn't move, there may exist some "keeper" set screws in those two threaded holes that you'll have to remove before getting to the actual set screws that hold the LOP). After adjusting your LOP, tighten the two LOP set screws on the RAD and THEN tighten the machine screw on the slider mechanism. Replace your comb and go shooting! It sounds more confusing than it actually is. Simple once you get the sequence down just right. Good luck!
Thank you stockguy!

I knew someone here would have the answer.

Would you have any insight regarding adjustment of the recoil tension?

· Registered
293 Posts
Thank you stockguy!

I knew someone here would have the answer.

Would you have any insight regarding adjustment of the recoil tension?
The hydraulic resistance is adjusted by the numbered dial on the end of the hydraulic piston. David Hart, the manufacturer, changed hydraulic piston manufacturers in appox 2009. On the older pistons, setting -0- is the stiffest with -9- the lightest. On the newer pistons, it's the opposite. I much prefer stiffer over softer because you want to dissipate the recoil over the entire stroke. If you set it too light it will bottom out too easily and you get the rest of the recoil.

After you loosen the machine screw on the slider and loosen the LOP adjusting set screws, you can remove the system from the stock and make your tension adjustments. You'll have to guide the connecting rod back into the comb mechanism (you'll see what that is when you remove the system), then tighten the LOP set screws then the machine screw in the sliding mechanism in that order as I stated before.

I have a pdf schematic for the RAD 3 that will show you what "makes it tick". If I can figure out how to attach it to a thread reply, I'll be glad to attach it. Otherwise, you can PM me with your email address and I'll be glad to attach it and send it to you.

4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks stockguy, I sent you a PM with my email, love to have that pdf.

I also talked to a guy named Chris at Harts and he is looking for info to send me as well.

I really appreciate your help.

You now qualify for "Friends & Family" pricing for all Bi-Star Products!

4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The good folks at Hart Systems went back into the archives and sent me this wonderful information.

I would be curious to know if any other shooters out there have this system.

I especially want to thank stockguy and benchrest for helping me.

They both now qualify for "Friends & Family" discounts on all Bi-Star Products.

Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram Number

· Registered
2,175 Posts
Hey my friend, how u doin? I have hit the mattresses since Christmas and the covid paid me a visit, just getting over the pneumonia now. Then hopefully it's back to Jersey and the strip clubs. StockSuy answered your questions as good as I could have, the only drawback is the hydraulic cyllinder. It is a bit too long for some installations anď not as responsive as the spring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.