Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a BT-99 Micro for my 14 year old daughter. She has been shooting a Winchester SX3 but looking to start shooting more so we thought it was time for the BT that her brother's started with. She's fairly petite so I was thinking about a recoil reduction device. I have someone that can install it properly. So what's the opinions between the RAD and the Gracoil? Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not to throw a wrench into the mix. I have shot gracoil units on 2 of my guns. My wife shot a Carey Slide (now Slick Slide recoil systems). The fact that the Slick Slide does not brush against the face due to the back moving recoil of the gun is a HUGE. Neither of us have shot a RAD.

·
Registered
662 Posts
ky4some,

My wife is only slightly built 5 foot tall/short.
She absolutely loves her PFS (Precision Fit Stock) tames recoil exceptionally well.
I have a Rad 1A on my Perazzi and a Rad 2A on one of my Beretta 682, the 2A has length of pull adjustment as well as recoil reduction.
After 6 total shoulder replacements (2 left and 4 on right shooting shoulder) I need recoil reduction to keep me in the game.
I prefer the Rad 2A as I can reduce the length of pull for winter shooting with thick heavy clothing and extend it for the summer with thinner lighter clothing.
Undoubtedly your daughter will grow as she ages so the Rad 2A can be extended when she grows.
I have not had any experience with Gracoil but believe it to be a good reliable product.

All the best to you and your daughter & son, enjoy the experience of having them shoot with you.

Release Trigger.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The only one that I have used is the gracoil. I have one on my XT. I bought the gun off the internet from out of state so I didn’t get to try it before I bought it. At first I thought I had made a mistake because I didn’t like the pogo movement. Luckily I didn’t get to try before buy because I would have shot a round or two and not liked the gracoil. After 4-5 boxes of shells through it and a couple adjustments to make it fit me better I got used to it and love it now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don’t think you would go wrong with either unit. The Gracoil May be a little more budget friendly. As far as sliding comb systems RAD makes sliding comb hardware that integrates to the rad system. Couple the sliding comb rad unit with a soft comb and you have got a very soft shooting gun with all the adjustments!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
The RAD 2A and the GraCoil GC15LP both include LOP adjustment so that’s a plus for someone that will still be growing. I’ve shot the GraCoil and did like it. Noticeable recoil reduction was felt. However, I love the stock lock and some of the other products out there that don’t allow your face to move on the comb. It’s definitely much more expensive but it’s entirely worth it if she shoots a lot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I purchased 725 combo from Guns Unlimited a few years ago that had a GraCoil system installed on it. I was not a big fan of the system. I prefer a recoil system that does not slide against your face. I also have annex cheese with the slip slide system and preferred it over the GraCoil by far . I would recommend either the slick slide or soft touch. Have no experience with the rad system .

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I bought a gun several years ago that had a RAD 3 installed for the previous owner. It has the sliding comb that’s hooked up to the recoil system. Worked great and made the gun a pleasure to shoot. Having the LOP easily adjustable was another nice feature. If I were having something installed it’d be that RAD system for sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought a KX5 several years ago for my son to shoot when he was a sub jr. It had a Rad with adjustable lop installed not long before I bought it. My son is now 22 yrs old and other than adjusting lop is still shooting it with no problems at all. I can't think you could go wrong with a Rad but spend the extra for adjustable lop at least could save you money in the long run if your child doesn't outgrow!!!

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
ky4some,

My wife is only slightly built 5 foot tall/short.
She absolutely loves her PFS (Precision Fit Stock) tames recoil exceptionally well.
I have a Rad 1A on my Perazzi and a Rad 2A on one of my Beretta 682, the 2A has length of pull adjustment as well as recoil reduction.
After 6 total shoulder replacements (2 left and 4 on right shooting shoulder) I need recoil reduction to keep me in the game.
I prefer the Rad 2A as I can reduce the length of pull for winter shooting with thick heavy clothing and extend it for the summer with thinner lighter clothing.
Undoubtedly your daughter will grow as she ages so the Rad 2A can be extended when she grows.
I have not had any experience with Gracoil but believe it to be a good reliable product.

All the best to you and your daughter & son, enjoy the experience of having them shoot with you.

Release Trigger.
Winter? Come on Gary, is that supposed to be some kind of down under humor? Come spend a winter in Illinois and get back with me. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Question for the Very Experienced Shooters - Will a Properly Fitted Shotgun take away most of the recoil fatigue for 100 birds at the 16 yd line ..I guess I mean it will not hinder your abilility from the target load recoil

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Question for the Very Experienced Shooters - Will a Properly Fitted Shotgun take away most of the recoil fatigue for 100 birds at the 16 yd line ..I guess I mean it will not hinder your abilility from the target load recoil
A properly fitting stock will certainly minimize the recoil but gun weight and the load being used can have just as much effect. I’d suggest using a 1 oz load if recoil is a problem.

·
Registered
662 Posts
grntitan,

Matt a skinny little bloke like me would not survive your winters.
Once it drops below 50Degrees my knees start knocking.
Shot yesterday for the first time since 16th October last year, rusty to say the least.
Good to be back at it though.

All the best to you and the family from Down-under.

Release Trigger...............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts