Trapshooters Forum banner

RAD-2 or GraCoil recoil reducers- which one?

2881 Views 17 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  bw374007
Thinking of having one installed....

Opinions and pro/cons requested?

Any issues with either? Ease of use and maintainence?

Paul in Virginia
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,584 Posts
I've had Gracoils in the past and currently have RADs on my TMS and XT. I don't find much difference in felt recoil between them but I like the RAD's ease of adjustment with one simple nut to loosen and tighten to make multiple adjustments or removing completely for servicing. Beats having to remove the recoil pad to make adjustments. If you go with the RAD do as they recommend and stick to the recommended recoil pad though or it will not work effectively for recoil absorption.

Camera accessory Wood Gadget Table Air gun
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood

· Registered
948 Posts
Another vote for the RAD2A for ease of adjustment and removal, as well as performance. Removes easily while maintaining your 'settings' which is nice, as I am unfortunately reminded of too much recently, to quickly pop the receiver off to thoroughly clean a rain soaked gun, replace firing pins etc.

· Registered
91 Posts
Thinking of having one installed....

Opinions and pro/cons requested?

Any issues with either? Ease of use and maintainence?

Paul in Virginia
Paul, I have a RAD2 on a Perazzi stock. I didn't like the way it felt as the stock slid along my face during recoil. If you have a Perazzi, I'll send you the entire stock/RAD2 setup so you can try it.

If so, send me a PM.

· Administrator
9,667 Posts
I have and had both on a number of shotguns. I feel that they both are good units.

1. RAD 2 is alittle easier to adjust LOP with although you have to be careful with the lock screws.

2.They are both very adjustable for how much or how little damping for the recoil.

3.Over the course of using both units I have found that you have to keep track all the securing screws on the RADS a bit more as they tend to loosen up, again this is just me but after having several of each the Gracoil stay a bit more secure over a lot o shooting.

4.I have a Gracoil on a Browning Universal Hi Post and it is working great and felt recoil is very minimal.

5.Have a qualified gunsmith install either unit and you will be happy.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Have never had a RAD but I did have a beretta S680 combo with a gracoil on it, very soft shooting, a bit of a pain when you wanted to make adjustments as you had to remove the recoil pad first, not really a big deal just a bit inconvenient.

Reactions: The Canuck

· Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I have installed many Gracoils on customers shotguns, no complaints so far. I also have quite a few on my own shotguns. I am not sure why a deciding factor should be the ease of making the length of pull adjustment. It only takes a few minutes to change the Gracoil LOP. I mean, how often do you halve to change it? Changing from summer to using a winter coat and back again in the summer, a couple of changes a year at most and it can be done in a couple of minutes. Installation on a Gracoil is also much easier, less cutting into the end of the stock. My two cents worth. Regards, Bob

· Registered
97 Posts
I've had a gracoil for about 2 years now and I like it pretty well. Set the adjustments up when I got it and has been rock solid ever since. You can remove the gracoil to access your stock/receiver without loosing your adjustments. Never have tried the Rad but I would say you would be happy with either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.