Trapshooters Forum banner

Rabbit season

1705 28
My buddies and I have had about 5 rabbit hunts so far this year Sky Plant Plant community People in nature Natural landscape
Plant Sky Grass Shotgun Agriculture
. We are up to 43 so far. Many of the hunts on public land. Dogs are doing great and getting back in hunting shape.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,731 Posts
You bring back memories of a long time ago. I haven't seen more then 1 bunny in many years. I've got 140ac and 2 years ago we upgraded out water ways about 5ac total and put in a 20ac poster, put in a 50' grass field border around 2 sides that are fenced with a lot of trees and thorny things again about 3 or so acres. I've noticed at least 4 bunnies around the barns this year. I may harvest one for myself when the snow comes but will wait until next year to hunt do to upcoming knee replacements. I've also released 300 quail but only seen a couple on a ride around. Got a lot of dove this year but again letting everything just go for one more building year.

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We hunt in Maryland mostly-some Virginia and then in January to Missouri to hunt rabbits and coyotes. We do manage for small game. We trap fox, racoons ,coyotes, possums and skunks. We also leave fields fallow as well as hinge cut edges and pile brush up on top of wood pallets.

· Registered
1,607 Posts
Your rabbit hunting event reminded me of the last time I had Myself, 2 Buddies, and my 3 sons, all in an extended Chevy, 1995 pickup. Not sure what we I had for dinner prior? But gas was abundant!! Gas was flowing well from myself! I am a very sharing type guy! I locked all the truck doors after I filled it with morning aromas!
The Ass!

· Registered
1,695 Posts
My Dad would give me hell if I shot a rabbit. Last thing he wanted was for our bird dogs to start paying attention to them.
Not to mention rabbits are on the ground with the dogs - no one needs shot charges that close to the dogs. They have a habit of being where you don't think they are - we belled our dogs for that reason. We rarely took anyone hunting but when we did they got a 20 minute lecture about no rabbits.

· Premium Member
2,415 Posts
View attachment 1839097

That's awesome. I'm sure you're not hunting public land in NJ. Last time we went out, we saw exactly (1) ONE rabbit. Good thing we weren't real hungry.
Funny you should mention that. I hunted rabbits religiously in NJ for many years. I had some spectacular stuff to hunt (public). One year a guy started showing up in a van, I believe a Ford Aerostar. This was maybe 10 years ago, maybe more? He was of Eastern European decent (my guess). He had dogs and every time out he would have 3-4 different guys. There were two large properties close to each other that were crawling with bunnies. This guy wiped it out. He was there almost every day. Some local bow hunters I spoke with told me that they see him daily. He would have a different gang with him every day. He was likely getting paid. The on one property (the best one) the Sierra Club came in with hammer ax’s and mowed the place flat for song bird habitat. I was done with hunting Jersey at that point. It’s public hunting land, why is an anti hunting group working on state wma’s?

· Premium Member
5,179 Posts
You bring back memories of a long time ago. I haven't seen more then 1 bunny in many years. I've got 140ac and 2 years ago we upgraded out water ways about 5ac total and put in a 20ac poster, put in a 50' grass field border around 2 sides that are fenced with a lot of trees and thorny things again about 3 or so acres. I've noticed at least 4 bunnies around the barns this year. I may harvest one for myself when the snow comes but will wait until next year to hunt do to upcoming knee replacements. I've also released 300 quail but only seen a couple on a ride around. Got a lot of dove this year but again letting everything just go for one more building year.
Good luck with your project K-Hornet. You'll be shooting your limit before you know it.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
Hard to beat chasing bunnies with a pair of beagles. Been doing it for most of my life and at this point we don't even load our guns until the dogs have had a chance to chase 'em for a while.

Used to have some great hunts in southern Indiana. Once, we hunted with mutual friends that were all beaglers and amongst us all we had something like 15 or 16 dogs running all ove in little packs. That was good times

1 - 20 of 29 Posts