Trapshooters Forum banner

Quickest way to wash home made lead

1493 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  badbaddog58
Well like everybody else I’m in a pinch and was short on lead .A guy at the club had six bags of shot for sale that he made with his own shot maker.I have already made a box or two and it’s fine for 16s practice no big deal but this stuff is really dusty and powdery to the point of I don’t even want to be in the same room when you pour the bag open into the loader. I’m not even using it anymore until I figure out how to get this dust out of the air when you use it so I’m looking for whatever I can do to wash it without buying a zillion dollars worth of mixing equipment- anybody has any tips I’m all ears. I was given some graphite. I’m not gonna buy any more but I need to get through this 150 pounds and get on with my life.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Well like everybody else I’m in a pinch and was short on lead .A guy at the club had six bags of shot for sale that he made with his own shot maker.I have already made a box or two and it’s fine for 16s practice no big deal but this stuff is really dusty and powdery to the point of I don’t even want to be in the same room when you pour the bag open into the loader. I’m not even using it anymore until I figure out how to get this dust out of the air when you use it so I’m looking for whatever I can do to wash it without buying a zillion dollars worth of mixing equipment- anybody has any tips I’m all ears. I was given some graphite. I’m not gonna buy any more but I need to get through this 150 pounds and get on with my life.
Window screen and a fan. Outside of course. Probably too much graphite already.

Reactions: recrowl

· Registered
36,918 Posts
When I made shot, I put it in a wire mesh waste basket, set it outside in the rain.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
When I made shot, I put it in a wire mesh waste basket, set it outside in the rain.
I’m wondering why shot dropped into coolant would be dusty/dirty when poured out of a bag. Only thing I can think of besides too much graphite would be that it is reclaimed instead of dropped.

Reactions: HSLDS

· Premium Member
15,955 Posts
If Flash is correct a cement mixer and some CLR... let run for an hour or so, then rinse well with clear water, dump it onto beach towels to dry in the sun.

· Registered
67 Posts

· Registered
36,918 Posts
I’m wondering why shot dropped into coolant would be dusty/dirty when poured out of a bag. Only thing I can think of besides too much graphite would be that it is reclaimed instead of dropped.
Good question, in my case, using soap, the shot was sticky so it would attract dust and particles if not washed throughly. Perhaps some people do not wash their shot enough? I think some people use too much graphite, I know I did in the beginning. It is surprising how far a little bit of graphite goes.

Reactions: templetk!!!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.