Trapshooters Forum banner

Questions regarding Nobel and Cheddite Primers

5591 Views 34 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  Rickster2020
I recently purchased some Nobel and Cheddite primers after using STS and AA primers for many years. I load STS and AA hulls exclusively. Do either of these primers stretch the primer cup so that the Remington and Winchester 209's won't fit anymore? Or once used, these hulls will be dedicated to Cheddite/Nobel primers?
Thanks
Charlie
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
15,248 Posts
After having loaded and primed a BUNCH of Remington, Winchester, and Federal hulls in the past month, I can tell you that Cheddites take more force to insert than Rem, Win or CCI primers, to the point that even after lowering the reprime tube on my MECs (which worked perfectly fine where I already had it set loading Winchester or CCI primers in any hull) I still had to send some hulls through a 2nd time to get the primers to sit flush.

· Registered
15,248 Posts
Here's some real numbers. I've loaded Win, Fed, & Cheddites in the same hulls interchangeably. No issues in my 366 or Spolar loaders.

View attachment 1761690
That data is over a decade old now though. I can say for certainty that the CCI primers, at least cosmetically, are not the same as they were when the sheet was made, and I don't believe Federals are either.

Using the most recent lots I purchased of each, I get a "C" measurement of .242 for Win and .243 for Cheddite, and .243 is indeed larger than .242. Whether or not that would cause fit issues going back to a Win primer I couldn't say as it's been ages since I last used Cheddites, and since recently (reluctantly) switching I haven't had any hulls I needed to go back with, but I can say with certainty that the Cheddites are harder to insert, so the are exerting more outward force against the plastic or base, couldn't say if it would be enough to "stretch" the pocket though or if it'd spring back a bit.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Here's some real numbers. I've loaded Win, Fed, & Cheddites in the same hulls interchangeably. No issues in my 366 or Spolar loaders.

View attachment 1761690
That chart is 13 years out of date. Cheddite measurements are wrong for current production primers.

· Registered
23 Posts
I recently purchased some Nobel and Cheddite primers after using STS and AA primers for many years. I load STS and AA hulls exclusively. Do either of these primers stretch the primer cup so that the Remington and Winchester 209's won't fit anymore? Or once used, these hulls will be dedicated to Cheddite/Nobel primers?
Thanks
Charlie
I was told by several people that Cheddite have issues with K80 or any K gun. They say that the firing pin goes through the primer. Not sure if this is true but a few guys just sold several thousand cheddite because they can't use them in their guns.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
As someone pointed out in many threads before, this yellow primer chart is way Out of date. My measurement of “C” data is .242 for my Win and .243 for my Cheddites. I’m using Nobel 688’s now and they measure .245. If I take my previously Nobel loaded/shot sheLLP of STS and Nitro, I can push in Cheddittes with my thumb. No something I would shoot. Once a Nobel hull - always a Nobel hull. BTW after thousands of Nobels they are a great primer contrary to some folks opinions on here.

· Premium Member
128 Posts
As someone pointed out in many threads before, this yellow primer chart is way Out of date. My measurement of “C” data is .242 for my Win and .243 for my Cheddites. I’m using Nobel 688’s now and they measure .245. If I take my previously Nobel loaded/shot sheLLP of STS and Nitro, I can push in Cheddittes with my thumb. No something I would shoot. Once a Nobel hull - always a Nobel hull. BTW after thousands of Nobels they are a great primer contrary to some folks opinions on here.
This has been my experience as well. Other than having to batch hulls previously loaded with Nobel primers, I have experienced no other issues.

· Premium Member
5,203 Posts
I have recently stated reloading with Cheddites in AACF Silvers on a MEC 9000H.

They load FAR smother for me than the W209s did and FAR less primer feed issues.
I will be going back to reloading AAHSs and will give a follow up report.
I noticed the same thing. With Cheddites I have less issues with the primer feed. Maybe Cheddites weigh a little more.

· Registered
547 Posts
After having loaded and primed a BUNCH of Remington, Winchester, and Federal hulls in the past month, I can tell you that Cheddites take more force to insert than Rem, Win or CCI primers, to the point that even after lowering the reprime tube on my MECs (which worked perfectly fine where I already had it set loading Winchester or CCI primers in any hull) I still had to send some hulls through a 2nd time to get the primers to sit flush.
Had the same issue with my Rem hulls 12 ga. 9000 Cheddite primers and automate. It has somewhere close to 200K rounds through it and couldn't get the reprime tube to stay locked down tight enough to seat flush every time.

Doing some searching found that @Curly N posted the solution at least a dozen years ago. Double clamp and replace the 1" bushing on top of the spring with a half inch bushing that MEC sells.

When I called MEC to order the parts they told me ALL 9000 presses leaving the factory since January of this year come this way. He cited 2 reasons. The increase in use of foreign primers and increase in use of steel base hulls.

It works perfectly now every time, that Curly N guy is way ahead of MEC LOL. I haven't had to do this with my 16 ga. or 20 ga. 9000's but if the time ever comes I know what to do now. The 16 ga. only use Cheddite hulls and Cheddite primers and the 20 only load old style AA CF hulls so may never have to.

· Premium Member
877 Posts
Had the same issue with my Rem hulls 12 ga. 9000 Cheddite primers and automate. It has somewhere close to 200K rounds through it and couldn't get the reprime tube to stay locked down tight enough to seat flush every time.

Doing some searching found that @Curly N posted the solution at least a dozen years ago. Double clamp and replace the 1" bushing on top of the spring with a half inch bushing that MEC sells.

When I called MEC to order the parts they told me ALL 9000 presses leaving the factory since January of this year come this way. He cited 2 reasons. The increase in use of foreign primers and increase in use of steel base hulls.

It works perfectly now every time, that Curly N guy is way ahead of MEC LOL. I haven't had to do this with my 16 ga. or 20 ga. 9000's but if the time ever comes I know what to do now. The 16 ga. only use Cheddite hulls and Cheddite primers and the 20 only load old style AA CF hulls so may never have to.
Mec was already doing this when I posted that info up, so I do not deserve any credit for anything other than making others aware of this change in what they do.

I do agree that that chart of primer sizes is quite outdated and no longer accurate for the most part.
While Nobel Sport 686 primers are safe in any WW209 recipe, do not expect to get WW209 performance from them.I cannot comment on the performance of the N-S 688 primers at all. Also you might expect to see primer piercing with those N-S and Cheddite primers in a wide variety of guns. Many folks have no clue what a pierced primer gives as an indication. Sometimes it simply looks like a pencil mark and sometimes the whole surface of the primer is black around the strike mark.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.