Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am relativity new to trap, so I am still figuring out the basics.

Regarding the purchasing of shotguns, does barrel length really matter?

What's the notable differences between semi-auto and over under?

What's the best 12 gauge ammunition for clay targets?

Thanks for answering my questions.

·
Registered
446 Posts
All are my opinions.
1. Barrel length does matter- 30” or more for trap. Either fixed choke at Full or changeable chokes
2. Semi Auto less recoil. BUT you will be hated as they throw shells toward the next shooter. A shell catcher is a must. O/U is better
3. Best is a preference. For practice anything on sale 7 1/2 or 8 shot

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
If you include your location in your profile you may find that you're already shooting with people on this site.
welcome to a sport that can be as much or as little as you want it to be.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Welcome!
If you go for an O/U make sure it has at least 30" barrels. Going to 32" O/U's is a preference at that point. I wouldn't recommend a semi-auto unless you don't want to shoot doubles. You will definitely throw shells around and not to mention may have issues with it feeding the second shell. I typically shoot light 8's Winchester AA for singles and doubles and the Heavy 7-1/2 AA's from the 27. Shells are just preference, and starting out it really doesn't matter a whole lot. Remington & AA hulls are great for reloading if you decide to get into that too. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Do not buy a cheap O/U, just to have an O/U. They are not built to withstand the amount of shooting you do at a trap range. Trap shooting is an expensive sport, including shells and targets, as well as travel, club membership, and accessories. The cost of the gun will soon be bypassed by other costs. Try to borrow and shoot a number of different guns.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My Opinion:

1. Barrel length doesn't technically matter. Longer barrels are preferred by most shooters, but I doubt they can tell you exactly why. If you know you will be selling the gun in time, you'll want what's popular. If you intend to keep it forever, buy what you think feels best.

2. The biggest difference between an O/U and a semi-auto is reliability. There are more moving parts involved with loading the second shell in the semi-auto, and it takes some effort to keep them clean and mechanically correct. I love my Remington 1100, and it has never failed me, but I switched to a Browning Citori because it's just plain easier to maintain. Either one can serve you well, and both have a coolness factor all their own.

3. 1-1/8 ounce of #7.5 shot at 1145 fps. Honestly there are a lot of good 12 gauge loads for clay targets -- it's hard to go wrong.

--Dan

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
First off Welcome To TS.com. You will find some good info on here about shooting the Clay target Sports. We hope you Enjoy your Journey into your new hobby.

1) Barrel length will not change the pattern. That said. You want a 34 inch barrel for a single barrel trap gun. You want a 32 inch O/U barrel for trap and sporting clay's. You want a 30 inch barrel for skeet. A 30 inch barrel for trap and sporting clay's if you buy a gas operated automatic shotgun. If you buy a different length barrel for these games you better buy it real real cheap as you will have a hard time selling your shotgun with a short barrel today. Its also very hard to sell a shotgun today that has fixed chokes. Only a handful of Trap-shooter's want a fixed barrel shotgun today. Most shooters today want one shotgun that can shoot all 3 games. This requires the shotgun to have removable chokes tubes. Nobody wants a 30 inch O/U trap barrel today. Nobody wants a 32 inch single barrel trap gun as well. These guns always end up selling for hundreds less than the proper barrel for the game you want to shoot. A 32 inch barrel O/U is perfect for all 3 games. A 30 barrel is perfect for Trap,skeet,sporting clays as well. Some shooters are even moving to a 32 inch barrel for a Auto, and 34 inch O/U barrels for Sporting clay's. So you see how the trend is moving. Its headed for longer barrels today, not shorter.

2) While a gas operated auto does reduce recoil to the shooter, and toss the empty hulls at the shooter to your side. Its the clacking of the receiver going back and forth that irritates me so much. It actually shake's the gun backward and then forward quickly between shots. Making a clacking sound as it does so. So to get your reduced recoil, you have to pay a small price to get it. There is no sound in a O/U, its more reliable (to a point), and you get to shoot two different chokes at the same times, as opposed to having just one choke. This can make a huge difference in some of the games we play. Trap Doubles, and in Sporting Clay's mostly.

3) Buy the cheapest shells you can locally!!! These shells are the best. Buy #8 shot shells for your trap, skeet, and the closer sporting clay's to say 35 yards or so. Once you make it to the 23 yard line in Trap Handicap, we can talk about the shells you should start to buy just for handicap. Till then, buy what-ever is on sale. Over time you will develop your own favorite shells. You will also develop your own reasons for having your favorite shells. Enjoy your Journey and don't forget to break em all Jeff

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hello. I am relativity new to trap, so I am still figuring out the basics.

Regarding the purchasing of shotguns, does barrel length really matter?

What's the notable differences between semi-auto and over under?

What's the best 12 gauge ammunition for clay targets?

Thanks for answering my questions.
Shoot with whatever shell feels most comfortable. Many new shooters seem to get sold on heavier loads or game type loads that will recoil a bit more. A 1150fps or 2 3/4 dram should be a little more comfortable to start with. If you aren't recoil sensitive then disregard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts