Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never attended and want to go but don't know what to expect-
Are there enough shooters that pre-squad necessary?
I take a atv to the Grand--should I do the same for the open?
I have not found a program-If it is a three day shoot, is it 300 day one, 200 day two and three?
Is there a program posted somewhere?
Will there be enough shooters to make hotel rooms scarce?
Is there anything I have missed and should prepare for?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
C U There
Jim

Like an OLD t.v. western---HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL (and I do have ammo)

· Registered
2,606 Posts
I don't see the US Open program listed yet but it is from June 2nd through June 6th. It is normally around 1300 targets. If you have been to the Grand in Sparta, then you will know what I am talking about when I say that they shoot almost all of the targets on the western fields (where the skeet houses are). It is normally 300 targets a day except the last day. You probably don't need to presquad. As for a motel, you probably should find one just to be safe. They should have the program out pretty quick.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Called Sparta yesterday. The nice lady there said they were finishing up the Open Program and would have it publishEd on the ATA site end of this week or first of next. IIRC, golf cart requirements are the same as for the grand. You can find those listed in the 2020 Grand program on the ATA home page. Free permit with proof of insurance and driver’s license.

· Perazzi MX10RS
2,093 Posts
Is it true at Sparta you can drive your vehicle to just about any bank? I haven't ever shot there. Just Linn Creek last year.
Parking is not an issue at Sparta. Yes, you will be able to park close to the bank you are shooting on and usually right behind it, even if you are on a bank in front of vendor row. The distance from the parking lot to the trap line is a little walk, but parking is a non-issue at that facility.

· Registered
332 Posts
Sparta is an amazing facility in the middle of nowhere. When you stand on trap 1 and look down the trap line, they go all the way to the horizon. All paved parking lots the entire length.

I wish they would have built it 20 miles North so it had better interstate and hotel access.

· Registered
2,606 Posts
If you have not been to Sparta, the parking lot is approximately 50 or 60 yards to the banks. The only place it may be further is if you are shooting in front of the vendor buildings and you have to walk around part of a building. If you can walk, there is no reason to have a cart unless you are camping there and have no other transportation from your camper. It can be a very good distance from the campers to where they shoot.

· Registered
2,487 Posts
If you have not been to Sparta, the parking lot is approximately 50 or 60 yards to the banks. The only place it may be further is if you are shooting in front of the vendor buildings and you have to walk around part of a building. If you can walk, there is no reason to have a cart unless you are camping there and have no other transportation from your camper. It can be a very good distance from the campers to where they shoot.
What , it has to be a mile from the west end traps to the east end camping lots?

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
120 traps spread over 3.5 miles length. Campgrounds are south of the east half of the trap line. Google maps satellite view gives you a good look at the overall layout. Pretty sure only the west half of the line will be used for the Open. If turnout warrants, then the east side traps closest to the event center will be used. I like to park my truck, then use a cart to run to vendors, event center and starting trap. ‘Specially now that my trick knee is trickier! Were I camping, a cart would be a must!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.