Trapshooters Forum banner

QUESTIONS ABOUT STATE TRAP SHOOTING ASSOCIATIONS

2141 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  dblsrus
  • What does your state trapshooting association “do”?
  • What is its raison d’étre?
  • What is its mission relative to trap shooting in your state or province?
  • What authorities does it have beyond approving shoot dates and charging daily fees?
  • What are its duties and responsibilities?
  • Does it charge yearly dues and daily shoot fees?
  • How is it funded and what does it do with that funding?
  • Is it a legally incorporated entity?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
I’ll try to cover all the questions, but I might miss one...
The Michigan Trapshooting Association was first incorporated in the late 1950s. At present, it’s a 501(c)-3 nonprofit. It owns and operates the State home grounds where the State shoot has been held for more than 50 years, the Great Lakes Grand has been shot for more than 30 years and hosts other shoots such as the USA Clay Target League National High School Championship. This 43 Trap layout is the source of its funding. Dues are voluntary and $50.00 gets you a lifetime membership. It does change daily shoot fees.
It coordinates and promotes shooting at smaller clubs throughout Michigan by hosting a meeting where all clubs pick their shoot dates and then publishes a booklet with all the shoots in the state and the address of all the smaller clubs.
If I didn’t cover everything, please PM me.
JB

· Registered
1,189 Posts
JB gave a good outline of the MTA and state associations in general.

Some differences with the NJSTA vs MTA...

NJ owns no real property and does not have a home grounds. I know Delaware is the same and I am sure other states are as well. They fund themselves through fees attached to each registered target thrown in NJ and interest derived from cash and investments. No dues are required as there really is nothing to join. If you are an ATA member and live in NJ, you are considered part of the NJSTA.

· Premium Member
21,615 Posts
Texas has a great State Association. Not only do they run the state shoot, they promote the smaller clubs and make sure that shoots are run well. We also have a youth scholarship programs that helps and promotes the youth in our state. Don Rackley is our current president. Hail to the chief!!!!.

· Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might consider running for a directorship in your state association, most are always on the lookout good people. There is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes, they are the folks that make things happen. One word of warning - the hours are long and the pay is very, very low.
JEB
JEB - I tried to PM you but my message had too many characters so I sent you an email through the AZ website.

· Registered
732 Posts
Joe and I have exchanged some emails, and quite frankly I misunderstood where he was coming from. My apologies. He has more than paid his dues with many, many years of service to his state organization. It's guys like him that "make things happen." His concern was of a different nature, and I have done my best to give him the type of information that he was looking for.
JEB

· Registered
2,618 Posts
  • What does your state trapshooting association “do”?
  • What is its raison d’étre?
  • What is its mission relative to trap shooting in your state or province?
  • What authorities does it have beyond approving shoot dates and charging daily fees?
  • What are its duties and responsibilities?
  • Does it charge yearly dues and daily shoot fees?
  • How is it funded and what does it do with that funding?
  • Is it a legally incorporated entity?
  • Delaware Trapshooting Association is legally incorporated as a 501 C 7 (not for profit social org)
  • DTA is funded thru daily fees, ATA rebate, sale of advertisements in the State Shoot booklet, hat sales and 50/ 50 drawings at the State Shoot, and usually a drawing for a gun, and a small profit on targets thrown at the State Shoot.
  • No dues but there are daily shoot fees
  • the primary responsibility of the DTA is to manage the State Shoot as well as purchasing and awarding the Trophies for that shoot. DTA also sponsors the National Trapshooting Day shoot.
  • DTA duties/responsibilities/as well as authorities are contained in the Corporate By Laws and I no longer have a copy so this explanation is not complete. But generally they are tasked with managing and sponsoring the State Shoot. And of course there is the annual meeting (required by the ATA) and the election of association officers and Delegate(s) to the ATA BOD.
The reason for the existence of DTA has been covered above and what DTA does is also covered above

Reactions: higun and JEB

· Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe and I have exchanged some emails, and quite frankly I misunderstood where he was coming from. My apologies. He has more than paid his dues with many, many years of service to his state organization. It's guys like him that "make things happen." His concern was of a different nature, and I have done my best to give him the type of information that he was looking for.
JEB
Thank you John. I appreciate the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.