Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the same at my club. Variety is the spice of life, and it seems trap don't have it. HMB

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Well, if we'd go back to faster 3 hole targets, I think it would then be challenging enough to bring in the younger shooters. Just a game for fat old men now. I mean, who wants to waddle out, stand in one spot, miss a target now and then because you blinked or dozed off. Where's the fun?

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
It's also about the excitement of shooting 100 various presentation targets, much the same as Action Pistol and SASS has changed bullseye shooting...

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I see folks of all ages and genders trapshooting around here. Of course trap is really the only game in town up here in the middle of nowhere, the closest skeet range I'm aware of is at least 150 miles away and I have NO IDEA where would be the closest sporting clays range?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am getting "vibes".....I may roll the dice????...and I just checked the "TEA LEAVES"... BUT IS THIS POSTER.....BIGdoggie..... THE NEW Dr.Longshot??????? "run'em"

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
yakimaman

That was funny!! Yepper's.. all we have to do is go back to 3 hole targets and the youth will be flocking to the trap fields!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
GOOD OL - BOYS ARE GREAT , THEY ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE BUILT AND KEPT THE CLUBS GOING FOR THE MOST PART . BUT DONT SCARE THE NEW GUYS OFF . BE NICE , HELP THEM , GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO MAKE THEM FEEL WELCOMED AT YOUR CLUB , ITS NICE TO HAVE NEW BLOOD , LOADING HOUSES , UNLOADING THE SEMI FULL OF TARGETS , DOING THE COMPUTER STUFF { YUCK},,,,,,, ITS THE BEST SPORT AROUND !!!!!!!!! Ed Goodian, Montana

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Them young guys just love to miss targets. That's why they shoot clays. There they can miss and still think they can win, at least until they read the score board. Then you will find them at the local bowling lanes with a beer in their hand.

jim brown

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
At a couple of the local clubs I attend a common discussion is "How do we build up attendance"? At one club the discussion centered around putting some dollars together, putting up a youth gun for a prize for young folks to shoot for. We knew there were youngsters wanting to shoot but realized they need an adult to bring them to the range. Seems there is a problem getting that to happen. We finally settled on basically giving the range to the local FFA Alumni to stage a shoot..... last year we had 125+ kids and adults at the shoot. Over the next 10 months we ended up with 4 or 5 kids and adults that shot somewhat regularly. We have already given them the range for a February shoot, they are going to visit with FFA in neighboring counties to see what they can make happen. The decline here has been gradual, I suspect the increase will be the same........ very slow but worth the effort....... Larry

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Even though I am one of the old, fat, blind guys, I really enjoy Sporting clays. Five stand is fun also.

Several years ago, I thought that wobble trap was going to breathe some more life back on the trap field, and it was a lot of fun. It seemed that the younger guys liked it, and the old guys didn't. Take a trap shooter that shoots a 97 or 98 every evening. For some reason, if the guy misses 6 the first round of wobble, he never wants to shoot it again, I guess no bragging rights. I cannot remember the last time I saw a wobble trap event posted.

Bullseye pistol has shrunk way down, and a lot of clubs closed the programs. Action pistol of several flavors is thriving, so shooters who like pistols are still growing in number. The shooters who like shotguns are not flocking to trap, but they are growing in other disciplines. If we are interested in adding to the number of trap shooters, maybe we should add something to the 25 in a row game we have now.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What is Nebraska doing to bring the kids out ??

I attended the kid shoot there the first weekend in May and they had to turn teams away because they didn't have enough traps or time for all of them to shoot.. Don't remember the exact number that did shoot.. but 2800 seems to stick in my mind!!

Not so shabby for a 3 day shoot .. Someone knows what their doing !!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Unlike two other threads started by this guy, he has yet to delete his original post. 45 here this morning. Jake

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Believe it or not sporting clays has the same problems. Sporting is very expensive compared to trap or skeet. Most shooters wont travel for less than a 200 bird event.

Registered is 65 to 100.00 per hundred. Practice is 35-50.00 per hundred.

The top AA and Master class makes up most of the entries.

Buster

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
I think Nebraska has trap events in their school system. Something that needs promoted in as many schools as possible. If no then our education system is going to take down all shooting sports. The liberals been running the schools for the last 30 years. Theirin lies the problem . If it don't start soon then shooting sports ill be gone. Conservation , Izaak Walton, and all clubs should dart working into the schools. Bill

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Get the youth involved through 4-h or scout troops with leaders that are favorable to promoting gun safety with reduced prices for the youths. Forget the liberal radical adult advisors...there is no known cure for them and concentrate on those favorable adults. The kids will talk to their friends about how much fun it is...be it trap, skeet or sporting clays. ed

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I don't know where it's going to be. But, I have a pretty good idea where I'm going to be - in which case, it will be someone else's problem.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am only a short distance from MTA here in Missouri, so I shoot there most every week and some times 2 or 3 times a week weather permitting. Most of the high schools around here have trap shooting programs. When there are multiple school shoots out there I have seen from 600 to 2000 kids blazing away and so many yellow busses it scares ya. Plus all the mom and dads who come to watch their kids shoot. It a PRETTY SIGHT....Terry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts