Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an extra barrel for a Remington 870. What is the best way to prevent rust and other damage when storing this extra barrel? Thanks to everyone in advance for your thoughts.

Dave

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
depends on where you live. I live in a real hi humidity state. I coat the entire barrel with motor oil. I wrap a rag around my finger and dip it oil and give the entire barrel/receiver too a nice coat. I have never got a spec of rust this way. It wipes off real easy with a rag. Then a light coat of rem oil and wipe with another rag and your good to shoot again. I've gotten spec's of rust with Rem Oil on long storage for just a few months. I have 870 barrels that I've stored 10 years now without ever recoating the barrel and still no rust. Try it You'll like it. Now not every state needs this level of protection, but I promise you it works and its cheap. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
There is a product called RIG which is an acronym for rust inhibiting grease. It is a product made specifically for you application.
My friend who live on the Oregon coast use it and swear by it

John

·
Registered
117 Posts
Another vote for RIG grease. I've used it for over 50 years and not a speck of rust on anything it was applied to.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with the grease. I use what they call "corn head grease" from the john deere dealer. Cheap and easy to coat with a patch down the barrel. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Brownells sells a long term storage sleeves/pouchs called bore stores. They come in different sizes and shapes. I have one for a pistol and one for a barrel. They are extremely thick and are treated to prevent rust.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are so many products on the market. Corrosion X is big here in PA. Basic REM OIL is ok but I think may want to examine it. I do anyway from time-to-time.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have sprayed with LPS #3 and vacumn packed in a long FOOD STORAGE bag. Opened one recently after 35yrs stored. Grease was thick but barrel is perfect.
Marc

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I use Ballistol multi-purpose oil it seems to stay put better than Rem oil and anything else i have used so far so good.It runs $10.00 a can and does a lot.I also use it to lube my break open trap guns and after 3+yrs. still tight as new.Grease does not have a lot of lubricant in it and hard to clean up.Gene

·
Banned
331 Posts
Used "Rig" for 30 years, good stuff. Keep a "Rig Rag" coated with Rig grease in shooting bag to wipe off gun after shooting.
I keep one in the safe so I don't forget to wipe every gun and barrel that I put in the safe. It's the only Gun Grease that I use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts