Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.
Having taken your good advice, I will be joining a couple of clinics the Spring/Summer. I am currently shooting a BT-99 using 1 oz, #8 @1250 fps. I have been able to 'horde' some of this at the range. Currently seems to be working well for me.
My question has to do with the 'second' day of the clinics which involve 'doubles' shooting. Although it is unlikely that I will have an opportunity to shoot doubles (the public range does not offer and I cannot find a local club to join), I figure it might be fun to try it at the clinic. This brings me to my question.
I was 'gifted' a Benelli Montefeltro semi-automatic and plan to utilize in the doubles shoot. Are the 1 oz. shells appropriate for a semi auto or would you recommend I get something else?
I have used 1 1/8 oz, #7.5's with this gun and got hooked on trap which led me to the BT-99 purchase.
Thanks for your help.

· Premium Member
BT99
260 Posts
I'll chime in - stick with what you are shooting. I shoot the same 1250 fps load with 7.5's
Thinking you need 1 1/8 for the second bird now slows down your shot and creates different ballistics.
What's the matter? Can't reload the BT99 fast enough?
I do not shoot a lot of doubles but find I need a tad more lead on some, that's all that changes, but I tend to shoot my bird quickly anyway.
God for you for doing the clinic. Maybe you can answer your own question when you're done and let us all know.

· Registered
13,524 Posts
Your going to have trouble shooting doubles with a auto. You can't install a shell catcher while shooting doubles. Its considered very rude to hit the shooter to your side with your empty shells. You might be able to have a deflector/knockdown pin welded to the top of your receiver. This pin knocks the empty hull to the ground just two feet away from you. Thus not hitting the shooter to your side. Tron on here at Tronspace would be the guy to ask if it can be down. I don't know if its possible with a Benelli auto shotgun. I know it can be done with both the 1100 and all 3 beretta auto's. You can also ask the instructor of the clinic if he/she can place you where you will not interfere with another shooter for this clinic? Good Luck to you. break em all jeff

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. Didn't know that could be an issue.
Maybe makes sense to find out if the range that I use will rent a Citori to me for a couple of days. If yes, I can get a few games in for practice before going to the clinic.
That may be the best approach.

· Registered
1,167 Posts
What is the goal of learning to shoot doubles? If it is to have fun, Monti will work just fine and so will your shells.
If you want to get good at doubles that's a whole different answer. Doubles is the fastest way to an O/U. No other game gives you 50 shots that are best executed with two different chokes.
Shell selection is also related to choke selection. If you dive into shooting doubles, one ounce is great for the first shot using a more open choke. Less recoil to stay in the gun better and the extra 1/8 ounce is not going to help at the close range of the first target.
A little more shell and a little tighter choke for the second shot will break more targets more often.
Go have a great time at the class and enjoy doubles. The most fun target game I have shot.

· Premium Member
793 Posts
Well you can shoot doubles with a semi auto if you want to. You may get some dirty looks but there’s no rule against it. When you sign up for your squad, make a little notation next to your name that you shoot a semi auto, that way if people choose to avoid the post after you they can.
You’re right there is no rule against using a semi. But if you’re shooting a ATA or PITA event both organizations have rules regarding ejecting empty shells and impacting the shooter next to you.

· Registered
3,054 Posts
Note: dburke said MY field. If he owns the field, he makes the rules.

If not, he can refuse to shoot with someone with a semi-auto and re-squad.

Jason

Edit: Got distracted from the original question.
You should be ok with what you have for the first shot of doubles. If shooting your sem-auto, I suggest an IM choke, 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 @ 1200 f/s for the 2nd.

I like to shoot 1 oz #8.5 @ 1200 f/s for the first shot and 1 1/8 oz # 7 1/2 @ 1200 f/s for the 2nd. I choke IM/IC, just to be clear: IC bottom barrel 1st shot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.