Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given approximately 300 older Remington Peters 20 gauge hulls and they are probably from the 1960's (see attached pictures). Some are once fired and some have been reloaded once. They have a plastic base and not a paper base and are ribbed. The gentleman that gave them to me said that the Winchester AA wad will not work in them because this wad is a little longer and that you have to use the older Remington "Power Piston" wads in them. Does anyone have experience loading these older Remington Peters hulls? Exactly what kind of Remington wad would I need for them? Any help is greatly appreciated.

DSC_0459.JPG

DSC_0461.JPG

·
Registered
155 Posts
depending on what powder you use you can use the Win AA or the Rem rxp 20 wads. have you tried 20/28 powder or longshot powder you should be able to get away with g the Win wads. I load the same hull with Unique powder in them with the Rem rxp20 wad with no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
What sort of load did you plan to use? The wad choice for 20 ga. is fairly narrow and the proper wad will depend on the density of the powder you plan to use. You only have 300 of them. Do you want to acquire components to load such a small number of hulls?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have a few of those in 20 ga and a couple hundred in 12ga. Im going to say if you can find a 1oz wad and even then you may have to drop 3/4oz to get proper stack height. The base wad is really high in those.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm still loading some of those . If I don't have the RXP 20 I'll use the Downrange DRV-20. I used 14 to 15grs of PB until that ran out. International or Universal Clays works good. Right now I'm going old school with Alliant Unique. Not as soft as PB but close. Good luck working a load for those old timers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Someone please tell me.Why would anyone want to load a hull thats 50 years old!!!
I'm still loading Red AA 20's along with the yellow one's as i get as good of loads out of them as i do my newer Rem STS 20's. I'm also loading old
Remington Brass washed 20 and 12 ga that i have had for 40 yrs as long as they are stored properly they last a long time.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
^^But, those hulls are not the same ones as in the pic in the OP.
On closer look, I believe you are correct. These are ribbed at the crimp end, but smooth at the base. They would date to the early 1980's

FWIW, they load the same recipe and shoot identically to current production Gun Club hulls

IMG_2014[1].JPG
IMG_2015[1].JPG

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
I'm still loading some of those . If I don't have the RXP 20 I'll use the Downrange DRV-20. I used 14 to 15grs of PB until that ran out. International or Universal Clays works good. Right now I'm going old school with Alliant Unique. Not as soft as PB but close. Good luck working a load for those old timers.
That's all fine and dandy, but no powder is softer than any other if the same loaded to the same speed and payload weight are equal.
Type of powder does not equate to softer recoil.
MG

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have a few of those in 20 ga and a couple hundred in 12ga. Im going to say if you can find a 1oz wad and even then you may have to drop 3/4oz to get proper stack height. The base wad is really high in those.
I see your pictures now, the ones I was referring to were "All American" hulls. The 20 ga were green (Rem) Blue )(Peters).
The ones in your pics are nice hulls.... Current wads and loads should work fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts