QUESTION ON WADS FOR OLDER REMINGTON 20 GAUGE HULLS.... | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

QUESTION ON WADS FOR OLDER REMINGTON 20 GAUGE HULLS....

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by yukon_870, Jun 28, 2020.

1. yukon_870

yukon_870 Active Member

I was given approximately 300 older Remington Peters 20 gauge hulls and they are probably from the 1960's (see attached pictures). Some are once fired and some have been reloaded once. They have a plastic base and not a paper base and are ribbed. The gentleman that gave them to me said that the Winchester AA wad will not work in them because this wad is a little longer and that you have to use the older Remington "Power Piston" wads in them. Does anyone have experience loading these older Remington Peters hulls? Exactly what kind of Remington wad would I need for them? Any help is greatly appreciated.

DSC_0459.JPG

DSC_0461.JPG

2. john h ashcraft

john h ashcraft Member

depending on what powder you use you can use the Win AA or the Rem rxp 20 wads. have you tried 20/28 powder or longshot powder you should be able to get away with g the Win wads. I load the same hull with Unique powder in them with the Rem rxp20 wad with no problem.

mg1polo and yukon_870 thanked this.
  3. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

What sort of load did you plan to use? The wad choice for 20 ga. is fairly narrow and the proper wad will depend on the density of the powder you plan to use. You only have 300 of them. Do you want to acquire components to load such a small number of hulls?

4. rosies dad

rosies dad Active Member

I have a few of those in 20 ga and a couple hundred in 12ga. Im going to say if you can find a 1oz wad and even then you may have to drop 3/4oz to get proper stack height. The base wad is really high in those.

5. 2skeet

2skeet Well-Known Member

I'm still loading some of those . If I don't have the RXP 20 I'll use the Downrange DRV-20. I used 14 to 15grs of PB until that ran out. International or Universal Clays works good. Right now I'm going old school with Alliant Unique. Not as soft as PB but close. Good luck working a load for those old timers.

yukon_870 thanked this.
  6. pudgie

pudgie Member

Someone please tell me.Why would anyone want to load a hull thats 50 years old!!!

mg1polo thanked this.
  7. john h ashcraft

john h ashcraft Member

I'm still loading Red AA 20's along with the yellow one's as i get as good of loads out of them as i do my newer Rem STS 20's. I'm also loading old
    Remington Brass washed 20 and 12 ga that i have had for 40 yrs as long as they are stored properly they last a long time.

yukon_870 thanked this.
  8. Boxo53

Boxo53 Well-Known Member

0C2647DF-5FB8-468C-A4FB-79B8B9110645.jpeg 6591FBF2-BB99-4EB7-82EE-FA01E4651C38.jpeg 33B14B8D-FFA2-44B9-9FF7-BEDFE92C11DA.jpeg I still use the recipe on the box

yukon_870 thanked this.
  9. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

^^But, those hulls are not the same ones as in the pic in the OP.

10. Boxo53

Boxo53 Well-Known Member

On closer look, I believe you are correct. These are ribbed at the crimp end, but smooth at the base. They would date to the early 1980's

FWIW, they load the same recipe and shoot identically to current production Gun Club hulls

IMG_2014[1].JPG IMG_2015[1].JPG

yukon_870 thanked this.
  11. mg1polo

mg1polo TS Supporters TS Supporters

That's all fine and dandy, but no powder is softer than any other if the same loaded to the same speed and payload weight are equal.
    Type of powder does not equate to softer recoil.
    MG

pbansen, templetk!!! and john h ashcraft thanked this.
  12. rosies dad

rosies dad Active Member

I see your pictures now, the ones I was referring to were "All American" hulls. The 20 ga were green (Rem) Blue )(Peters).
    The ones in your pics are nice hulls.... Current wads and loads should work fine.

yukon_870 thanked this.