Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently purchased a new (used) home on 4 acres on an East Tennessee mountain side. The property is about 3/4 acres of lawn and the rest neglected woods and meadow. The house had been vacent for over a year. Needless to say, there are lots of rocks and rough ground. We would like to clean up the property and eventually push the woods back. We brought our old Bolens riding mower with us and proceeded to trash the cutting deck on the rocks. We have been looking at the string trimmer mowers like the Husqvarna HUS625HWT, but have never seen anyone using one. Does anybody out there have any experience with these type machines?

·
Supporting Vendor
5,394 Posts
I have a DR self propelled string trimmer. It is a great machine. I would thing the self propelled feature would be valuable on hilly and rocky terrain. It has electric start.

DR just came out with a metal bladed cutting attachment for it. The metal blades are designed for tall weeds and light brush (up to 3/8"). Their heavy blue colored cord may be what you want with all the rocks.

Their website is at the top of this post.

Jim Skeel<BR>
P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Jim, I love the DR Trimmer. with the Beaver Tooth attachment it cuts 4 inch trees. The blade you describe is not quite as hairy but will work great on brush.

If you snub it too many times you smoke the belt, so keep a spare around. It's a standard V belt available at farm stores.

Normal usage won't hurt the belt, I just really hammer mine.

The neat part is you can put new whips in without tools.

I would reccoment this tool to anyone with a need for it.

HM

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the swisher string mower I works great but has it's problems.

the front ground contact pad is soft plastic that screws on to a steel shaft.

when the contact wheres away it exposes the shaft and wheres that away too.

I would not go with the swisher again.

Pete

·
Registered
208 Posts
We have five acres, lots of black berries. DR has the power, easy to use, just use the heaviest string. But is great. Tim

·
Supporting Vendor
5,394 Posts
Here is a photo of the self propelled model. They have upgraded it to 14" wheels (mine has 12" wheels). I recommend the self propelled model unless you are in your 20's.

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_030341.jpg

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Have 5.5 acres of brow lot on a mountain (also in East Tennessee). Have an older (10+ years old) DR that I trim the edges of the mowed yard with. Still runs fine after all these years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.