Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a Wenig semi-inlet stock that I bought at the Grand a number of years ago for my Browning XT. I've gotten to the point where I'm doing the final fitting of the stock to the receiver (probably should have done this first, but decided to get the stock shaped/sanded pretty close to final dimension before messing with the inletting). When I look at the factory stock, it's pretty clear that they paid a lot more attention to where the back of the receiver touches the stock (around the stock bolt hole, see picture below). It's glass bedded there, I assume because this is where the majority of the recoil is transferred to the stock. Wenig left quite a bit of "meat" in this area which makes sense if you're trying to fit the wood exactly to the receiver -- Browning just hogged out that area and filled it in with a big blob of bedding compound (like 1/4" thick). So, what's the preferred method? Fit the wood as close as possible, and use a thin layer of glass bedding to precisely fill gaps? Or is it better to do the Browning method and leave space for more bedding compound?

Thanks,
Dan

XT Stock inlet.png

·
Registered
506 Posts
Epoxy is inelegant but very effective. You might consider inletting until the fit is perfect and then removing most of the wood leaving only a few pillars to support the back of the receiver. Apply release agent to all metal and mask off the stock and apply a small gob of acraglas to the rear inletting area. Clean up the excess that squeezes out and let dry overnight. You will have achieved 100% contact on the area that takes the bulk of the recoil. Good luck!
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts