Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a chance to buy some relaimed shot. its a mixture of 9 -8 and 7.5. is this stuff ok for 16 yd and handicap. its been cleaned- polished and graphited. its $26.00 a bag plus tax. any input guys. thanks rich

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Buy it that's a good price, last I bought was $28.00, (best price I've seen on new stuff was $41.00 per 25#s) been using it for a couple years now. Good back to the 23-- have even tried it from the 27 but given that I only load 7\8 I don't know as I would recommend it that far back. I know that they use a magnetic separator, but run a magnet through it again, as I do find some steel shot mixed in, not much but I just don't want any scratches in my bbl. just pour a few #s at a time in an old pie --cake tin and run a good strong magnet through, better safe than sorry. I'm pretty sure you'll like it. Ross Puls

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Rich... I recently ran 200 straight singles targets at the Labor Day shoot in Medford, Oregon with reclaimed. What's not to like? I shoot it for singles and doubles, and new shot for handicap... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I use 7/8 ounce reclaim for practice. I accidentally brought two boxes to a registered shoot by mistake. I didn't have any other shells so I went ahead and used it. Bagged a 49/50 with it so I guess it works ok. I normally use 1 ounce 8 1/2 though when shooting competition. I will shoot more of it for practice and skeet and probably use it for 16's when I run out of new shot.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok guys thanks for the responses. ill buy 5 bags and go from there. merry chistmas to all of you. thanks rich

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would caution you shooting it for handicap. I shoot 26 yards for my handicap and when I shot it on the pattern board I noticed holes in the pattern compared to new shot. I only shoot it for singles and doubles all the time and it works great.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Run some patterns with it. For singles and the first shot in doubles you can almost throw gravel at them. Around the 23 to 24 yard line I've found the patterns start to deteriorate with reclaim.

BTW-Good shooting Dan!

Ajax

·
Registered
839 Posts
This brings up a question. Does a few stel shot hurt a barrel when the wad should keep it from touching the barrel???

Bill

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
willing: I don't know but don't want to find out the hard way, since I shoot an older M31 TC Rem. Parts for these old girls are getting scarce, especially the TC ribbed bbls. Guess I'm just a big coward. Ross Puls

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If you don't know who mined and processed it, and if you care about your bores, then make sure it was run under some strong magnets before being sold to you.

Mike

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I fail to understand the concern about the barrel being messed up as everything I've read the shot does not leave the wad till it is out of the barrel. I've been using reclaimed for a long time and no damage. I didn't see any holes in my patterns at 60 yards but I only tested 10 shells. Jackie B.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.