Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if answered before but I didn't see an answer specific to Kolar. Does top lever position on Kolar guns indicate level of wear as it does on most o/u guns? See photo for example. On typical guns, this position would indicate the gun has some wear. I owned a Max T/A combo and it looked like it had minimal wear and had a similar lever position to this one in the photo.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
As to the kolar in the photo , lever is still right of center. Minimal wear at this point.

Jason in PA
I dont agree.. signuficant number of shells have been shot per that photo.

When I received a Kolar back after purchasing a new barrel the tip of the top lever was on the wood

·
Sky Buster
4,125 Posts
I dont agree.. signuficant number of shells have been shot per that photo.

When I received a Kolar back after purchasing a new barrel the tip of the top lever was on the wood
I was advised by Pat Laib of Laib's Gunsmithing to disregard the position
of the top lever. He said to grasp the barrel at the breach end and the receiver with the other
hand. If you can feel movement between the two, it's time for a new top lever. If there
is no movement, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was advised by Pat Laib of Laib's Gunsmithing to disregard the position
of the top lever. He said to grasp the barrel at the breach end and the receiver with the other
hand. If you can feel movement between the two, it's time for a new top lever. If there
is no movement, don't worry about it.
Sounds logical and I trust Laib's.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Sorry if answered before but I didn't see an answer specific to Kolar. Does top lever position on Kolar guns indicate level of wear as it does on most o/u guns? See photo for example.
The answer to the highlighted question is, YES!

My gun, bought new, got to about the position where that lever in the photo is, after about 7 years. I took it in to the gunsmiths at Kolar at the World shoot, and they said let it go for another year. The next year at the World shoot they changed it out for me. It isn't very expensive. For example, if the gun in the photo above was great in all other aspects, and the price was right, I wouldn't let worrying about the bolt stop me from buying it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
When my Kolar lever got to that position with my top single, if any grease was on the lugs or it rained, it would pop open on firing. Had it fixed in November and they also replaced the for end iron, redid the barrel lugs and the trigger cocking plate and of course the locking bolt. They didn't list what they did but it was like a new gun again, hard to open.

·
Banned
684 Posts
When my Kolar lever got to that position with my top single, if any grease was on the lugs or it rained, it would pop open on firing. Had it fixed in November and they also replaced the for end iron, redid the barrel lugs and the trigger cocking plate. They didn't list what they did but it was like a new gun again, hard to open.
Thanks Dave for the info I have four Kolars and I have never experienced either opening on firing but I am sure it could happen.I will say this one of my Kolars had a week top lever spring and when fired the lever would change position somewhat I replaced the spring and never had any further issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with others, that your gun shows wear. However, I’m not sure if it actually needs service yet. Send a couple of pictures to Cody at Kolar, he is the ‘repairs gunsmith’ and would be the one to work on your gun. I sent my gun to Racine at the very first of February and got it back a week before I left for the Spring Grand (attended the second week), but my top lever was more centered than yours - might have actually been just slightly left of center. After servicing, my top lever looks like the previous commenter’s photo, the lever is touching the wood. I also agree with Dave S, my gun is now hard to open. It’s easy to adjust a little of the tightness out. Plus, I have only fired about 800 shells through my gun since servicing and it is already getting easier to open. I was told it would.

Let me say this too. My gun is in an Americase and it was a genuine PITA to get it ready to ship. If you decide to send yours in, PM me and let me share a helpful tip I learned after it was too late to help me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts