Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Yea got screwed with that program all last week trying to order from them.
That seems to be the case with pretty much all of the larger online sources that had reasonable or free shipping. It's annoying that Cabela's/Bass Pro don't just make the item out of stock and leave it at that. Many of the others are a lot more forthright in how they handle out of stock items on their websites.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Remington. I used to load AA but I found them to be just different enough from Remingtons that I had to make adjustments to my loader so I went to all Remington. It’s made my life a lot easier. I really like that they carry different lines of shells that all load the same. I have 4 different shells and 4 loads (3/4oz, 7/8oz, 1oz, 1-1/8oz). I can look at the shell and know what weight, shot size, and velocity it is.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Back from my shopping adventure, after 2 1/2 hours driving around town;

Walmart - Nada, zip, nothing
Sports Academy - Nada, zip, nothing
Cabela's - 5 boxes of Gun Club

Cabela's was the only place that had anything worth buying but nothing in any quantity. I'm done with this hunt and seek program of running around town will just order the STS online and play the wait game.

Reloading in in my future sooner than later.
Use brickseek.com, select walmart from the list of stores, type in the SKU for the shells you want, (you have some of the boxes yet, right?) , it'll tell you which store(s) have them, and how many.
I buy both AA's and STS/Nitros at Walmart, (but then I get a 10% discount-I work there.) Adjusting my MEC 600jr for the difference between the two is not hard, one tweak on the first shell (after some initial experimentation) and done.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Use brickseek.com, select walmart from the list of stores, type in the SKU for the shells you want, (you have some of the boxes yet, right?) , it'll tell you which store(s) have them, and how many.
To speed things up, here are some SKU's

All 12 gauge

STS Nitro Sporting Clays #8 16930640
STS Light Target #8 16930257
STS Light Target # 7 1/2 16930256
Nitro Handicap #8 16930639
Nitro Handicap # 7 1/2 16930258
STS Light Target #8 Full Flat 187018651
Nitro Handicap #8 Full Flat 105497505
STS Light Target 1 oz #8 Full Flat 105497505

Winchester AA Heavy Target Load #7 1/2 100154390
Winchester AA Heavy Target Load #8 133482307
Winchester AA Light Target Load #9 16817523
Winchester AA Light Target #8 Four Pack 265613183

Estate Super Sport
#7 1/2 Four Pack 830169678
#8 Full flat 103442897
#8 Individual box 113845993

Good luck!
Pete

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Plugged in every one of those numbers and came up with zip, says N/A on all of the above.

Nevermind, wasn't do it correct.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So when you use: Remington Arms Rem Sts 12ga Light #8 Full Case - Walmart Inventory Checker - BrickSeek and enter your zip code, it says "Out of Stock" for the stores nearest you? or it doesn't work at all?

For me, it shows the Wal-Mart in Rocklin, California was selling flats of STS Light Target #8's for $40, but that they're currently out of stock. $40? Bring it on.
I got it to work, found 6 boxes of STS 7.5 and 4 boxes of 8's. No flats to be had anywhere. Still paid $7.87 box.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Yes, but you found some without having to drive all over. I have a friend that I just text whenever we have the 4-packs in. (after I buy any I want...)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Go with either the Winchester AA's or Remington Gun Clubs. Excellent hulls that can be reloaded several times. Also there's a ton of reloading data for those hulls with many combinations of propellants, primers and wads.

At my club a lot of guys will willingly save their empties if you ask them nicely or make a point of buying a case of beer for the trap shack fridge.

KL

·
Registered
4 Posts
I reload many different hulls, I use the gold nitros for my 1 oz loads, federal top guns for 1 1/8 oz loads(with a Winchester wad and they perform great), and I use dark gray AA’s for my 1 1/4 oz loads. I also have some STS hulls but haven’t used them yet. I’ve also shot MANY gun club hulls and they actually do reload very well and last quite a long time, they’re just not as pretty as those gold hulls! There is NO right or wrong hull to use from what you’ve listed, just pick what you have or what you can get and roll with it. They’ll all perform well with the right recipe!

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I'd put AA's on a par with the Nitro and STS hulls - thicker, better quality plastic than the Gun Clubs and Top Guns and brass heads instead of plated steel.
That said, I get very good results reloading Gun Clubs until they crack along the folds at the crimp and the wad hangs up when you try to insert it. Shoot 'em one last time and toss them.
I have a bunch of Top Gun hulls, but have not figured out a good load for them with the components I have on hand - cannot get a decent stack height

·
Registered
858 Posts
JMHO, but all the Remingtons last the same amount of reloads, at least in my experience. The STS and Nitros look better but that's about all. The last I checked the Rem primers where over 200/5000. The Win where 135/5000, Cheddites 112/5000. I'm just curious where you're going to shoot - a gun club ? Can't you just pick up some empties over there and save on having to buy new ammo ? At my club the guys have to get the tractor with a bucket and empty 50 gallon barrels full of used shotgun shells. There aren't many premium shells, but plenty of usable ones like Gun Clubs. Just a thought. One other thing - I like your posting - that little picture above your name, what ever they call it, is nice to look at.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Reloading is in my future but in the mean time I need to buy shells for shooting and will reload them down the road.

The general consensus here for hulls to reload seems to be the following;
Winchester AA
Remington STS
Remington Nitro
Remington Gun Club
Federal Top Gun

When searching on the internet I see Gun Club and Top Gun in both steel and brass bases. Pretty sure I don't want steel. If I'm buying flats is there something on the box telling what shell I'm buying?

Guess where I'm going with this is if I have to step up and pay retail on flats I want to ensure I'm buying something worthy of reloading.

Dennis
Hi Dennis.....Been shooting and reloading most of my life. The winchester AA's can be reloaded 10-12 times! You can buy them on the net once fired for around $.05 each......or go to a shoot and pick them up off the ground like I do. After a while they get kind of blackened and develop holes in them and occasionally splits. this is when you get to 10-12 reloads on them. This in no way detracts from the functionability of the hull unless it will not slide into the chamber. The AA's are the best bang for the buck when reloading over and over. You tire of their bad looks before you will wear them out.

Bud

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks Bud

Last couple trips out to the base to shoot Trap I have dumpster dived the trash can on the way out and grabbed a few hundred WIN AA (smooth red hull), REM Gun Club, Fiocchi Spreader and FED Gold Metal Grand. I have a couple hundred WIN AA (gray) left over from my prior reloading days.

Long as I can keep a rolling stock of about 800 on hand I will be fine for now.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I was at the trap club one day and there was a guy on the field to my right shooting by himself from the 27 yard line. He shot four rounds and left and when I looked over, I was kind of disgusted to note that he'd left every single hull on the ground (the club protocol is to pick up your hulls) - there was a pile at every station. It looked like he'd bought a four-pack at Walmart.

I went over with an empty Claybuster wad bag and filled it up with 100 once-fired Nitro 27's, strictly out of dedication to public service and good sportsmanship, you understand.

I keep hoping he'll come back.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts