Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reloading is in my future but in the mean time I need to buy shells for shooting and will reload them down the road.

The general consensus here for hulls to reload seems to be the following;
Winchester AA
Remington STS
Remington Nitro
Remington Gun Club
Federal Top Gun

When searching on the internet I see Gun Club and Top Gun in both steel and brass bases. Pretty sure I don't want steel. If I'm buying flats is there something on the box telling what shell I'm buying?

Guess where I'm going with this is if I have to step up and pay retail on flats I want to ensure I'm buying something worthy of reloading.

Dennis

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Top gun and Gun club are steel not brass. Some Federals look brass but they are not. The only Brass Remington Hulls are STS/Nitro and maybe the Clay & Field. Steel base reloads fine...the Gun club hull loads as good as any of them imo.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
just stick with remington sts/ nitreo. they are identical all but color so load the same and then are a great new shell too, with current rebates on them you can't go wrong

·
Registered
33,675 Posts
Don’t limit yourself to just one shell brand. You can take advantage of the yearly rebates offered by both Winchester on AA’s and STS/Nitro’s.

Remington primers average 40 bucks a thousand, Winchester AA’s are about 35 dollars per thousand. When buying components such as wads and primers, there might be periods of scarcity. Maybe you cannot find Remington wads but see plenty of AA’s or vice versa. Where you live and if you have a good supply outlets close buy or you have to order on line can effect availability and cost.

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
The Win AA and the Rem STS/Nitro are the only all-brass based target hulls on the market. Rem has a $2/box rebate on the STS and the Win $2/box rebate on the AA recently expired. See the thread on the Cabelas sales/Rem rebate. See if you can make any use of it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We'll see what today produces, my bet is that there are no Rem STS or Nitros anywhere. I know that Cabela's doesn't have any, last time I was in Sports Academy their ammo shelf was empty. That leaves Walmart and local gun stores. The gun stores seem to be more focused on pistol and rifle ammo.

I think Cabela's had Remington Gun Club and Winchester AA. The AA were 89.99 a flat and Gun Club were 69.90.

·
Registered
33,675 Posts
We'll see what today produces, my bet is that there are no Rem STS or Nitros anywhere. I know that Cabela's doesn't have any, last time I was in Sports Academy their ammo shelf was empty. That leaves Walmart and local gun stores. The gun stores seem to be more focused on pistol and rifle ammo.

I think Cabela's had Remington Gun Club and Winchester AA. The AA were 89.99 a flat and Gun Club were 69.90.

DO NOT GO TO WALMART FOR STS SHEELS!!!!!!!

You will be considered a lowlife, not worth acknowledgement from other trapshooters. Your life will be over. Watch now as a dozen or so messages follow from people saying they would not be caught dead in a WalMart, seems they cannot tell us that enough.

You may have trouble finding STS shells for a while. Along with the panic buying now, the rebate program that just ended, it may take some time getting shells back in the pipeline. This stupid corona virus scam has half the country not working and supples of just about everything running low. Just noticed a run on canned tomato goods. Went to the store the other day for one 6 oz can of tomato paste and nothing not the shelves in the way of canned tomatoes or paste in the local Kroger Store. Soft drinks in cans are in short supply due to a shortage of aluminum to make the cans.

You have until December to use the rebate.

Reactions: entropy

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DO NOT GO TO WALMART FOR STS SHEELS!!!!!!!

You will be considered a lowlife, not worth acknowledgement from other trapshooters. Your life will be over. Watch now as a dozen or so messages follow from people saying they would not be caught dead in a WalMart, seems they cannot tell us that enough.
Well I'm really going for some coffee but while I'm there.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
33,675 Posts
Update.

Went to Safeway for tomato paste. They had it so I bought 5 cases. Thank God, I did not have to go to WalMart.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back from my shopping adventure, after 2 1/2 hours driving around town;

Walmart - Nada, zip, nothing
Sports Academy - Nada, zip, nothing
Cabela's - 5 boxes of Gun Club

Cabela's was the only place that had anything worth buying but nothing in any quantity. I'm done with this hunt and seek program of running around town will just order the STS online and play the wait game.

Reloading in in my future sooner than later.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Out of stock, not available for online purchase. Of course they don't tell you this until you have entered all of your information for them to harvest...
Yea got screwed with that program all last week trying to order from them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts