Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an un-opened 12 lb keg of this stuff from a nice gentleman yesterday that was not going to use it.I have used it a long time ago and really liked it but I can't make up my mind as to load it or trade it for a more modern powder that it is still being made.What do you folks think?Is it worth keeping and loading or should I trade it for something that I shoot and can still buy?A Little help here,please.

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
PB is still shown as current offering on Hodgdon web site and they have all kinds of recipes for shotshell and handgun loadings.

Lyman's 5th Edition which is the current issue also has many load offering for PB powder. You should not have any problem getting rid of it if you want to.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Twelve pounds should last the average casual trapshooter quite a while. It's great powder so I would use it because by the time it's all gone, there might be something even better available than what we currently have to choose from. One of my local gun shops still has eight-pound jugs of it on hand, so it's not impossible to find. If I still shot trap, that shop wouldn't have that PB - it's all I used for many years.

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
My understanding is PB has been discontinued. PB is a low pressure powder and may be of increased value to those who shoot older side by side guns that need low pressure loads.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
The absolute Cadillac of powders IMHO. Can be used in everything from 1st shot doubles to 1250 hdcp.
It was a sad day when I heard the 'discontinued' word.

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
It may have been recently discontinued, but there is a lot of reloading info currently on Hodgdon website. I looked today and got 84 recipes using Federal hulls and 1-1/8 oz load. If anybody still has some hang onto your loading manuals, or pull some loads off website now.​

·
Administrator
8,649 Posts
I agree with Paladin on the Caddy of powders. I still have a decent supply that I will use to load my H-Cap registered shells with. I have loaded many a 8lb. keg of PB and really like it. I will be experimenting with Winchester Super Handi-cap powder for some of my reloading.Tonite I will be shooting my first boxes of experimental H-Cap with the Winchester Powder.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Great powder..!!
Load and shoot it up. If it was just a pound or two, I might feel different. 12 pounds of a truly great powder makes it worth working up a good load, and enjoying your good fortune.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys,I get the picture.I will load and shoot this stuff!How about 24.5 grs. PB,Fed premium hull,Jammer wad,and 11/8 of hard eights.I would welcome any favorite loads that you might want to share,and would really appreciate a Handi cap load using Fed Papers.I have a bunch.Thanks for the replys.

·
Administrator
8,649 Posts
I agree with Rick, 24.5 gr. is excessive. I have loaded a STS Hull--8 petal jammer wad--win primer--22 gr. to 22.5gr. PB I understand that a fed. paper load is alittle different but going up 2 gr. is a lot. I would start lower and chronograph my loads to see where Im at say vs. a factory shell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts