Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one should be easy I guess. It has two parts.
1-Loading on a PW for a while. Noticed what I think are too many wad incertion problems. Took guide apart and cleaned it thoroughly. It seems the wad fingers are too soft/limber. Watched closely at the process and the wad would push through before the unit came down to the hull top. Is this a soft/limber finger problem???
2-It appeard that the fingers are the same or nearly the same as MEC. PW parts are hard to come by here but MEC is available. Will they interchange??

Many Thanks

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Does the wad carrier assembly stick? I should always move down freely. If so, what you describe will happen.

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
Jim in my pinion I would not use MEC wad guide fingers. As far as getting them is concerned you can get them at the above web address. Nothing in this country can't be shipped to you in less than 6 days.

Bob Lawless

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr Lawless and BC THANKS for the info. Shipping time is not a great issue. It is just that I have many friends with MEC loaders that have parts. I will order some from Whiz.

·
Registered
685 Posts
jim is the man on ponsness and perazzi parts service repairs rebuilding very knowlegible .2 thumbs up for whiz have a great day howard

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Yep I have had issues and looked at wad guide ALL looked fine. Pulled out to install new and found it cracked. Only way to see it was broke was to remove it and examine. I load 15k per year and seems I have to replace it once a year or so.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used to use Hornady wad fingers in my PW and they worked fine until I tried the white ones. Started having trouble and thought the machine was out of time. Ordered the factory PW's from Whiz and problem went away.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody!! Have ordered from Whiz

Interesting comment about changing at about 15k. That is about what I have on these.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Jim, I have found a few hulls that the crimp did not open up much, most on very lite loads.If I open them up the loader works fine.I check them when I set them on the bench and if you dodn't have new fingers and open the crimp up you can sometimes still load ok until you get new ones.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
ANother thing that will prolong the life. ON the hulls with 8 plus trips on them the petals start to not open as much and get thin and ragged. I have noticed if I in-advertantly get one of these in the machine it has a bigger chance of screwing up at the wad station. PW has a "hull expander" that goes on the primer station. It will open up the hull mouths wider and is only 10 bux. If you can add that to your order it will help.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As always Whiz is on the job. Have five coming and will just wait till they arrive. Too blasted cold to do much else just now anyway.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
MAH66 see thread I bumped for you and you will understand the life of these hulls.

·
0 Posts
Another possibility is the screw that runs in your wad guide channel. Over time that can wear a little and cause problems like you describe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts