Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have 600+ members, how are your individual sport groups structured? For example, Do Shotgun, Trap , Skeet, Rifle, Pistol, etc have leadership in the form of a President, Skeet + Trap leader, Facilities, Events chairpersons, etc. ?

·
Banned
2,709 Posts
At the smaller club (approx. 750 members), it is seperated by pistol (no rifle) and shotgun. They only have trap and skeet. There are no leagues or registered due to a lack of interest. Handguns are the big focus there.

At the bigger club (1,600-ish memebers) there are a lot discipline commmitees etc. The practical pistol, rifle guys all organize their own shoots. Sporting clays is the 800 pound gorilla that pays the bills. We saw $26,000 in revenue for SC for May 2020 vs. $1500 for skeet and trap combined.

Both clubs have a BOD and President etc. If you wanted say a trap league or ATA shoots, both would be fine but you would have to organize it and find the help to do so.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We have 850 members.

We have a governing board President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, Financial Officer and five directors.

Each venue has a committee chairman, trap, skeet, SC, rifle,pistol, fishing, game preserve, and so on.

Some maintance issues like vehicles, electrical, have committee Chairman.

Large events like registered shoots and large gala parties have chairmen.

This is not a complete list but you get the idea. Club officers and chair people get 1/2 off their dues but trust me they do t do it for the money. Chair people submit a yearly budget.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
One of the clubs I belong to with over 2200 members has indoor/outdoor pistol, rifle, trap, skeet, 5 stand, archery. Each part of the club had a director and all the directors are part of the BOD. President, VP, treasurer, and secretary are officers. Even with that many members, you go over during the week and its like your own private club, even weekends are not too busy.

·
Banned
2,709 Posts
In my area I think I'm one of a handful that has an interest in Trap, I shoot by myself a lot.
Please note those numbers are double what they normally are. I am assuming because of the PA shutdown, we all had more time to kill and spent it at the range. At least speaking for myself.

Yes, when I shoot trap at my trap club, I usually have all 4 fields to myself.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
We’re slightly below the 600 member threshold.

The structure is: Board President, 1st Vice President, 2nd Vice President, Recording Secretary, Treasurer. Twenty-one in total sit on the Board.

We’ve tried and tried to have committee chairman for trap, skeet, 5-Stand, trophies, insurance finance. Generally ends poorly and there never seems to be a “real lead”. People with a specific skill or knowledge seem to transcend the committee structure and go where needed to keep things moving. They’ll report back at a meeting on what they’ve accomplished.

Any of the regular membership that offers up assistance are met (by me) with an enthusiastic “yes, we could use your help”. I suspect that is one place YMMV, and the control freak mentality turns many people away.

Pro Tip: Those that step up; and are subsequently rebuffed, WILL NEVER ASK AGAIN. Measure YOUR response!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.