Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kolar Owners,

What sold you on Kolar? Other than Kolar making a fantastic gun, having excellent service, and being close geographically speaking (I'm from WI), what made Kolar stand out from the rest? What was one feature, customer service experience, etc. that made you choose Kolar over another company?

Thanks in advance,

Nate

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Great people at Kolar. My story.

At the Wisconsin State shoot this year my Simmons unsingle for my Remington 3200 separated from the mono block for the second time this year.This was on Tuesday ,day 1. So I was done for the rest of the shoot. I took the unsingle barrel to Kolar to show them the quality of workmanship from Simmons. Jeff Mainland asked me what I will be shooting the rest of the week. I told him that I did not bring a back up so I was done. Well Jeff went to the demo rack and set up a MAX TA unsingle for me. We went to the practice trap ran 25. He asked me if everything felt right, which it did and the he told me to return it at the end of the shoot, which was 6 day from then. Now that's more than nice. So now I own one. I didn't buy new as the price was more than I wanted to part with but I managed to get a used one this fall. I know the barrel will not separate on this one.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Purchased my first Kolar used and Jeff and the guys at the Factory treated me like I was Leo Harrison. I eventually sold that gun and custom built a Max T/A from scratch and again, they could not be more helpful. Custom fitted stock by Jeff, Keith always there to answer any questions or to install release triggers. ALL GOOD!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
If your anywhere in Wisconsin you have to own a Kolar if your going to buy a new gun! What got me to buy one is the fact that if anything ever happens to the gun, I can get it fixed this week. If you own any other brand and need parts or have to ship it in, you may not see it back for weeks. I love my kolar, I bought it used and they treat me like I bought it brand new. So unless your always at shoots that have gun smiths on hand, your better off with a Kolar! Plus if you look on here there are lots of other gun brands for sale but very few Kolars and if they are, they are sold right away. You won't be disappointed! Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
There are many qualities and features. In no particular order, because I like all of them; The adjustability is a huge factor. From butt stocks to combs to ribs to barrel hangers. Service is second to none. If you have both release and pull hammers, any combination thereof is available in a few minutes.

Finally, unlike a few of the other gun brands, Kolar's are not known to let loose if an overcharge is unknowingly used. Thin chamber wall shotguns have been detrimental to shotgun sports. Damb, I hate them, and the controversy and turmoil they have caused innocent victims.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I went to my second Grand American in 1999. One of my missions was to look at all of the premium trap guns with the intention to someday buy one. The only place that I went into that had time to talk to me were the folks in the Kolar booth. The rest left me standing around for 30 or 45 minutes. They adjusted a stock to fit me and even asked what choke I preferred to shoot. After shooting the gun upon my return to the booth, they asked me what I thought and actually listened to what I had to say. I've never been disappointed by the folks at Kolar. Problems arise from time to time with any manufactured product, but I've always been looked after and the gun shoots way better than I do. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
433 Posts
http://www.tarheeltrap.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=666

The above article by nick sisley speaks volumes about how well the Kolar shotguns were designed with ease of maintenance in mind. I am on my second combo now. i have owned K80's and P guns and they are great guns but the Kolar being 3 days away from factory is the clincher. jim w.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I bought my TC as a used gun but one of the things that swayed me was that the guns hold their value which tells me they are durable. I also think it is a very nice looking gun and even though that doesn't in itself break targets, it does add to the experience.

I did send the gun back to Kolar for a PM and was very pleased with the work they did as well as the turn around time and reasonable charges - the insurance for the shipping was more than the shop charges.

The one thing I hear on the minus side about Kolars is that they are heavy guns (Perazzi owners mention this the most). I don't find the weight to be a problem and it does make the gun a real soft shooter that swings very smoothly.

I would advise that you try one out and make your own conclusions but be fore warned that the odds are you will probably want to buy one after the test drive.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
While at the indiana gun club this last week end I looked over there whole selection of kolars. I picked up 3 unsingles that to me felt like they were flat wore out. They were sloppy on opening, the lever was center or left of center, and the finish was wore off of all of them.

Despite these guns being what I call "wore out" they locked up like a bank vault. They all had satisfying "thud" apon closing that to me means solid like a chunk of steel. I had absolutly no problem taking those guns out and trying them.

The same could not be said for the perazzi and kreighoff I looked at. Both were rickety as an old bridge. I couldn't bring myself to try those guns.

I left there with 1 of the wore out kolars. Reason being I got a great deal on it and after speaking to kolars service department got a great deal on completely rebuilding the gun. I spoke with Cody Calhoun and he sounded like a top notch knowledgeable guy.

If I can shoot this gun as well as my Zoli, ill be a kolar shooter for the rest of my life. Maybe even change my sign on name to Kolar Young Gun. BYG

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I do not own a Kolar. I do however own a 90-t. Both kolar but mostley Doug Baker have serviced my gun for years. When I do buy a combo it will be a Kolar.The quality of all the Kolar's I have tried is second to none.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

If your were to buy a Kolar specifically for Singles and Handicap (no Doubles)...

Would you buy their single barrel trap gun (T/S) or their double (T/A) with a single barrel ?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Keith Sprangers, who designed the 90-T and all the Kolar guns, describes the T/S as a 90-T on steroids. The T/S gun is the way to go, if you don't plan to shoot any doubles, ever. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
382 Posts
The feature that impresses me the most with the Kolar's is the 3 small inserts(one in the forearm iron, one on each side of the monoblock) to absorb the wear. Should the gun get a little loose these small inserts can be replaced quickly and inexpensively to retighten the action. Most other makes have to be welded and remachined to correct this condition.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have two Remington 90-T's (Kolar built them) so I tried a friend's TA MAX Combo and decided I wanted to have one. Had it made with the A4 Twisted Sister stock as I like a lot of cast off. Kolar offers their shotguns with at least 4 and up to 6 types of stock dimensions as a choice. The Kolar is also very heavy and this mitigates felt recoil. They open, close and function with great ease.

I have my TA O/U barrel set for Skeet and or Doubles Trap. Thus one gun can do all my target needs.

So far I have never had one single issue with the 90T's or my Kolar TA Max and the 90T's are getting on in age. It is a quality product that Kolar makes. Quite beautiful and everything just works. I have removed the white bead front sight in favor of a Hi-Viz with interchangeable lite tubes. This helps me out in various backgrounds and shade conditions. The Kolar woodwork is top notch as you would expect.

Nice.

Art

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nate, a lot of the other posts have noted the world-class quality and customer service at Kolar and my experiences have been similar. What I have not seen a lot of the responses address is the shootability. The Kolar is not for everyone, but if it suits your style you won't find a smoother shooting gun.

I am 6'4" and weigh 250 (which makes me a lightweight in clay shooting....). I have two 32" Kolars that I shoot in Skeet, Sporting Clays (and eventually trap doubles) and I shoot a 34" TM-1 in singles - I bought the Perazzi because it was a fantastic deal and it had very heavy laminated wood that made it feel like my Kolars. In the past I have had a number of 680 series Berettas and I hunt birds with a 20 ga Guerini (also a 32").

If your have enough mass to swing it, the beefy construction of the Kolar makes it *very smooth. It's not going to stop easily and the low recoil has been noted by others. However, if you are slight of build or have a shooting style that requires a lot of quick adjustments/ corrections you might have more success with a lighter framed gun. When I shoot a few rounds with the Guerini or one of my semi-autos I find that I can get away with more mistakes (cheating in too close on hold points, letting the bird get past and then catching up, arm swinging, etc....) but it is also is easy to get bad habits going and my shooting gradually gets sloppy. The weight of the Kolar makes me execute my fundamentals, but as a result shooting it makes me much more consistent and overall a better shooter.

Good shooting,
John

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
What everybody else just said......plus my pal Keith drinks my brand of Vodka.

Kolar owner since 2004.

·
Registered
405 Posts
http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=330516

See link above for more great Kolar experience and notes. Still shooting mine well and thinking of a single barrel now - we will see.

Game Warden

1 - 20 of 24 Posts