Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for anyone with a K-80 O/U and has patterned their gun.
How many have had your under barrel not pattern at the same POI as the over barrel?

I'd like to hear from you whether the answer is yes or no.
Also if you needed to change a hanger or not.

I know that Krieghoff sets them from the factory, though this does not always turn out to be true.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I don’t believe they do set them at the factory and it would be difficult to do so. I’m sure they would if you asked them but it would be a waste of time to do it on every barrel right from the get-go. Often they wouldn’t have the stock the ends up on that gun so they couldn’t regulate the barrels to the same POI. I also believe it’s fairly common for the importer and the dealers to swap receivers, stocks, barrels, etc to give the customer exactly the set-up they’d want. Plus you always have the option of asking the dealer to swap the hanger to something close to what you’d expect based on your preferred POI. I can’t imagine any decent dealer wouldn’t swap the hanger to give a customer their desired POI even after the sale.

The beauty of the K80 barrel is that you can adjust both barrels independently. POI is such a personal choice that I don’t even know why it would matter. If someone goes and buys a 12k+ gun and just takes whatever hanger that comes on it without asking the dealer to change it then shame on them.

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
The beauty of the Remington/Krieghoff split barrel system is the ability to change hangers in order to adjust impacts for virtually any need or shooting game.

·
Registered
424 Posts
From my understanding Krieghoff does attempt to regulate the barrels together, but that obviously would not be perfect for everyone. I have seen factory hangers be #3's to #6's, so it's all relative IMHO.

Far from an expert, as I have only ever seen a handful of new barrel sets, but that's what I've seen.

Chris

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I pattern all my K80 barrels. Most come both barrels to same POI. However, I have also run across a few where the bottom barrel shoots about 3" higher than the top barrel, so need to go up one number hanger o get them shooting to the same POI. On used barrels, I have seen them all over the place simply because different shooters want different registrations, so it's dealer's choice as to what you get on registration.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I bought both my K-80’s used, so I may be of little help here. My first one was a Trap Special Combo. The POI on the top and bottom barrel on the O/U were right on. I sold that gun because I couldn’t get used to the high rib on the unsingle. (I shot a KX-5 prior).
Recently I bought a standard Trap Combo with the lower rib. Top and bottom barrel on the O/U were spot on too. I purchased both of the guns from accomplished shooters. I’m sure they dialed them in before I owned them. Haven’t had to switch hangers either.
Good luck.

·
Banned
218 Posts
My previous K80 was a strictly skeet gun w/ sub gauge tubes. The barrels were NOT convergent. I patterned it at 21 yards and the spread between POI of the barrels was 8-9". I replaced the hangar dropping from a #6 to a # 3 eventually to get convergence. Cost was $25 after I sent the old hanger back to Krieghoff Int.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Here's what the Krieghoff website says about the K80 Trap Special.

"Shipped from the factory with a 70%/30% POI in all barrels"

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
First of all, talking of having barrels shoot to same point of impact
is only possible at one range. If the barrels shoot parallel, and they
are separated by one inch, then the point of impact is one inch
apart at all ranges. You might say that is perfect regulation,
and yet they shoot one inch apart, not to the same point of impact.
Very few guns do that, that I have ever checked.

It would be no big trick to test fire them at the factory and put
the hanger on that came the closest to that above. I would think
they would do that as expensive as the guns are. They could do
that in less than an hour. I built a number of sets of barrels for
some of my doubles and regulated them to exactly what I wanted.
For the individual this is a little harder. For a factory for someone
like Krieghoff it should be standard and easy because they got
all the various hangers right there to change out instantly. All
they have to do is test fire both barrels with their best guess for
which hanger to start with, and then see what the spread is.
Then they should know exactly how much the barrels have to be
coerced to fix it. They probably have it pretty good right there.
If not on yet, the next test fire should get them to the correct
hanger. They probably don't have infinite hangers, so even
after regulated they are probably only going to be very close,
not perfect. Some will be perfect though.

A gun that has a spread of 8-9 inches at 21 yards is terrible. I
would not ever put up with such a barrel. The good part is with
the Krieghoff you can fix it. With guns having center ribs
you own pretty much a piece of junk regulated like that.
Think about that spread, at 40 yards the spread is going to be
16-18 inches. At 60 yards the spread is about 24 or more inches.
They are barely shooting in the same county.

Some people may prefer the spread not to be that perfect one
inch. There are reasons to want the spread different, but
factory guns should try to get them parallel shooting for the
most part.

Also you have to know what range they are talking about
when they do shoot at the same point of impact. For example
if an over/under shoots both barrels to same poi at 20 yards,
then the bottom barrel is going to put poi about 2 inches higher
at 40 yards. If bottom barrel shoots about 2 inches low at
20 yards, then it is going to be about double that (4 inches low)
at 40 yards. So you have to know the range they are talking
about to know the full picture.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I used Neil’s 13 yard test on my K-80 and the barrels both shot right on top of each other. I was surprised how well they were set up from the factory. Don’t know if I got a lucky combo or if they do a good job on all their guns but I’m happy. Not sure what they consider 70/30 but I did raise the comb and adjust the rib to get a considerably higher set up. At 13 yards I’m looking at 4 to 4 1/2 inches.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have not bought a new K 80 in 8 years but even that one had a different POI from the over to the under barrel. That was a ACS barrel,flat shooting and you needed a wedge for the upper to change the POI .For the under barrel the barrel hangers did it

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
On a k 80 you need to get the top barrel on the over under shooting where you want it and then adjust the bottom barrel by changing front hangers. If it's a combo then you can adjust the single barrel to suit your desired point of impact.

·
Banned
848 Posts
I am surprised no one has mentioned distance when it comes to POI and more importantly barrel convergence. My barrels set to shoot at the same spot at about 35-38 yards - closer that that, the bottom barrel will be at slightly lower POI, farther than that it will be at slightly higher POI, in relation to the rib that is. Check out POI Calculator and note that variable C (distance) is a part of the equation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts