Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if you don't mind sharing..most of you guys are grandparents so with Christmas coming and gift giving in mind...what are your and your immediate and slightly extended families attitudes towards guns as gifts...mainly I'm wondering about the young kids and toy guns..and real if that applies,..and how you handle "non-sporting" sons/daughters or son/daughter in laws ..a real serious and contentious issue in some families I'm sure..How you handle it?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Not a grandparent yet, but in our family, guns and gun-related stuff was always a good thing. My 27 year old son and 23 year old daughter still get a box of .22s in their stockings each year, and have since I don't remember when. I quit buying guns for them when their wages overtook my pension.

My extended family (brothers and sisters and their families) mostly think firearms are evil, and we mustn't let the kids know anything about them. I just shake my head and feel sorry for the little kids.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Guns are tools in my family. I was given BB guns, pellet guns and eventually real guns for Christmas.

I have not given my kids guns for Christmas, but they have had BB guns, an AR15 upper, ammo, cleaning supplies, hunting clothes, and targets.

There was a movement a few years ago to make Christmas "non-violent". Fah. There's nothing "violent" about a family who uses firearms in a non-criminal manner. It's just more unwelcome political correctness run amok.

As for grandkids, I'm still a few years away from that, and even more for when they might be able to handle firearms safely. It won't be a consideration until we come to that point in time. Knowing my kids, I doubt there will an issue.

·
Registered
12,447 Posts
Its like anything in life, TEACH them right from wrong at the very beginning.

My kids and grandkids all received firearms(toys and the real thing) early in their childhood(Christmas and birthdays), taught them that you don't point them at people even in play.

Unless they were playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians, who ever was the "bad" guys, those had to be "imaginary" and they could shoot at them!

It worked out just fine.

How you deal with family members who are afraid of firearms, take them to a Hunter Ed class!! Make them go to range day, they don't have to shoot just observe.

Some people just don't know better and have to be taught out of their fears.

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
When I was a kid we all had toy guns long and short. We all ran around the neighborhood shooting the crap out of each other with them. To this day non of us have used a gun unlawfully.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
How things have changed :( It would be wise not to do anything without the permission of whatever parental unit is around. This is, however, an opportunity to also educate and involve the parent in a "safe and fun recreational activity"

408166695.jpg.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts