Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Nora Ross is doing a clinic at a local club next September (hopefully, with all the shutdowns now, we will be able to be out shooting by then)

Currently I shoot a Remington 1100 sporting 12 and I really like it, but it has no adjustable features.

I know gun setup is a big part of a clinic, so my question is, without adjustment in the gun, is it still worth it to take the clinic?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have taken Nora's class twice, and it helped me a lot. She does have a fitting section usually after lunch the first day, and you do your mount and she looks down the barrel at your eye and makes suggestions for any adjustments you might need. Your cheek placement on the stock, if your eye is too far to one side or if your eye has to come up or down. She even makes sure your glasses are adjusted properly. If you have to bring your eye up you can add some moleskin to the stock area. I think you will get your money's worth by taking her clinic, and then continue with your gun and decide later if you want or need something with adjustments. You can always have an adjustable comb installed if needed. Nora is well worth taking!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Great class, great teacher, you'll learn something even if you can't adjust your gun.
What you may find out, is that if you're going to get better, you may need a new gun.:006:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well worth taking , regardless of the gun you are using. I shoot a different gun than the one I took the clinic with . Info from Nora was invaluable. Great clinic. I also shoot both eyes open and she was even able to help me with that ,a lot .

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If you don’t take something away from her clinic, regardless of your gun adjustability, the problem will be YOU not her. She is always on an even keel, never rude or condescending. Your time, money and effort will be well spent.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Go ahead and take the class. Regardless of whether you think the gun fits, you will learn a lot that will carry over to whatever gun you may own in the future.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would take the class. You should be seeing a figure 8 with the front bead and center bead. That spacing can be more open the then the figure 8 but not less. If it is less bring a wrap around comb to raise your comb. They sell different brands that you can buy online. Or if you have the time have a adjustable comb installed. Money well spent.

Steve

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Take the class. She will make suggestions about your gun, mount, LOP, etc, which are all very helpful. She had me increase my LOP by 1/2" but I have a tendency to crawl the stock.

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
Hello all,

Nora Ross is doing a clinic at a local club next September (hopefully, with all the shutdowns now, we will be able to be out shooting by then)

Currently I shoot a Remington 1100 sporting 12 and I really like it, but it has no adjustable features.

I know gun setup is a big part of a clinic, so my question is, without adjustment in the gun, is it still worth it to take the clinic?
I have spent a fair amount of time with Nora and she is a class act, her clinics do not involve a extreme amount of gun set up. Normally if she sees a fit or POI issue that is a serious detriment to your shooting development she will correct it.

There are some clinicians who will because they are teaching a specific style that involves a high POI try to set everyone's shotgun up to the same POI.

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
I took her class at El Reno, OK. many years ago, because I shoot one eyed like she does. Great lady, class act.

Reactions: Trapshooter1100

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Take her class when you can.

As far as gun fit goes. Mount your shotgun in front of a mirror. Get your figure 8 with the two beads and look into the mirror. If your eye's are level and your shoulders are level and you see a perfect figure 8 your good to go. If your eye is too far to the left or right? Or your eye is so low that you only see one bead because the end bead is behind the mid-bead? You need a adjustable comb. If you have to lower your head to the gun-stock and doing so tilt your head and eyes out of level doing so? You need a adjustable Butt Plate.

You have the ablility to buy a Jack West Stock that has both a adj. comb and a adj. butt plate built-in to the stock. If recoil is a problem you can get a recoil reducer added to the adj. comb and butt plate stock as well. You can check Jack West Stocks for current new prices. Of course since you have time you can look for a lightly used one too if like. Good luck to Ya. I"m sure you'll love Nora's classes. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,744 Posts
Ive taken Nora's class 3 times and always came away in awe of her ability to instruct and address your shooting abilities without judgement. She sees what you have to work with and helps you make the most of your ability and equipment. I really don't think I'd be where I am in this game without her instruction and insight.

·
Registered
775 Posts
0836E3E4-DB6F-4B1C-8FD6-7DF58EC814F3.jpeg
Nora modeling my gloves. Her hands were cold doing her clinic at Pine Belt in NJ.
My girlfriend took a clinic with Nora. I don't think she adjusted any ones gun. If people questioned where their gun shot, Nora put a target on the grass and had that person shoot it.
She did exactly that when I took her class to show the shooter if their gun shot high or low. Then the student knew where their gun shot for sure. Pretty simple good information. Her class was great and she was fantastic!

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the responses!

My gun seems to fit well. I get a figure 8 with a slight (maybe 1/16") gap between the beads. The beads are lined up perfect left to right and my eyes are level when I shoot. My eye is centered well on the rib left to right.

I'm trying to avoid any adjustable parts as I have a tendency to constantly fiddle with anything that has "adjustment".

I'm happy to hear she works with your style to improve and not force you to do it her way.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the clinic. I'm surprised she is coming to my area my area. The club she is coming to is a small two trap club in the hills outside of Albany, NY.

Hopefully by September we'll be past this virus and out shooting again!

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Nora will travel to almost any club in the US that has two traps and is able to provide 10 shooters in the class. She will intently watch you shoot and from that she can determine is your stock too long or too short and is your hand correctly on the pistol grip and trigger. If your shooting could benefit from an adjustment and she believes that you would break more targets with this change she will let you know. She will video your face on your gun and from that she will show you where your face is on your comb. This video will also show you how the fit of your shooting glasses impact your shot. She will have you fire at an upright target on the ground to determine where is your gun shooting. The singles class is a 1-day class and in it she packs a great amount of general information along with extensive individual instruction. Enjoy the class but sign up now. Classes that were supposed to happen in April did not and people will be scrambling. Lucky you to have this opportunity.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts