Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question About Sako

is there a Sako expert who would not mind answering a couple questions:
I have a vintage 1970 22-250 L579 Forester.
Why are the older (pre 1972 guns) more valuble?
What is the significance of the word Bofors (not sure of the spelling) being stamped on the gun? I'm told Bofors refers to the steel used in the barrel, may be the whole gun, just don't know.

thanks,
Deadeye45

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Here you go on the Bofors gun/steel line.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
I would imagine that there is a perception the older Sako's made when the company was under Finnish control are better than those made since the Beretta takeover. I know that the earlier guns, especially the deluxe models were beautifully finished and shot very well. The move to dull finishes and synthetic stocks has changed the whole look of the rifle business. The action on my only Sako is a single shot bench rest medium length. Beautifully built.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I will take a Forester or Finnbear rifle in a heart beat. They look better then the ones made today. They shoot better then the ones made today. The actions are smoother then the ones made today. Better all around gun then the newer ones.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
So glad I have a couple; they are beautiful...a Garcia era Forester in .243 and a late production (say 15 years ago) 30-06. Just stunning guns and accurate too!

·
Banned
145 Posts
I just had to jump onto this thread! Many years ago I bought a Sako varmint rifle at the local auto parts store for the sum of 125.00 dollars. It wasn't a pure sako as it had a douglas air gauge barrel chambered in 17/221 fireball. Because of the poor selection of 17 caiber bullets back then, I just couldn't get it to shoot with any respectability. This was pre PPC era so I decided to have it chambered in a 6mm version of the 222 mag, more specifically 6X47. I still shoot it today with the last of Glenn Hess's 62 grain flat base bullets and will shoot a .125 group when I do my part. I forgot to mention that it's a L461 sako action, Hart 1/14 twist 6MM stainless barrel and a Weaver K8 steel tube scope with AO. I think that its a Bishop English walnut stock but I'm not quite sure of that.

Good shooting to all, Regards Tony Generose

·
Registered
167 Posts
I rechambered my Win 243 Sako L57 to 6.5/284 and it will also take the eye
out of a Buck at 200 yds .I just Love this gun and caliber with a Dauglas
barrel and a 8 1/2" twist which makes it a far shooter .

Good Luck with yours !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Some years ago the Garcia Corp. took over the importation of the Sako line.
The perception of the Sako fans was that quality declined somewhat after Garcia
began importing them. The older guns were known as "pre Garcia Sakos" and
comanded higher prices. I believe the guns imported during the Garcia era were
marked with the Garcia name on the underside of the barrel just in front of
the fore arm.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gentlemen for all your input. My gun is for sale on Gun Broker and a perspective customer asked the Bofors question, and I did know how to answer him. What I understand from your replys is the age of the gun dictates the percieved value and not sure any of the guns you gentlemen have, have Bofors stamped on them. Saving going to the safe and digging it out, I'm sure it has Garcia stamped on the underside of the barrel.
thanks again,

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Yep your right, The pre Garcia models were nicer and will bring more $$$ to those who know Sako's

Garcia's "cost" cutting took a very well made and nice working firearm from a Great gun to a "express" gun!

Like taking a Rolex and turning it into a Timex and raising the price!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.