Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the Search Police show up yes I did a search on Rx shooting glasses and reviewed 5 pages of threads on the subject.

Couple of disclaimers;
1) I have to have Rx shooting glasses, not an option.
2) I don't like frames that wrap around the back of my ear.

I just got off the phone with L&M and we talked about the Pilla X6 and Randolph Edge.

1) I can get the Plilla X6 with 3 colors vice 4 and use the 4th color as my Rx lens so no up charge for Rx.
2) The Randolph Edge come with 2 colors and a up charge for Rx lens and I can add a 3rd color Rx lens.

The price difference between the two is about $430 so I'm leaning towards the Pilla X6 due to just having to buy a single RX lens insert when my prescription changes. From a down the road cost standpoint the Pilla is cheaper to service (Rx Lens) than the Randolph Edge.

For those out there that own the Pilla X6 with the Rx insert do you feel it does a good job, do you find yourself looking past the Rx lens insert onto the colored lens (if that make sense).

We also discussed the difference between the X6 and X6 Copa Mundial that is a $400 option, I guess it gives you the option to adjust in the forehead to cheek axis (kind of a up and down thing). Anyone have this and is it worth it or just a gimmick.

Unfortunately due to my location and lack of local options I'm forced to buy Rx shooting glasses sight unseen so I need to get this right so to speak. I guess I could find a cheap one color pair local but with Rx its still going to cost me $200-300 for shooting glasses.

Thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
I'm leaning towards the Pilla X6 due to just having to buy a single RX lens insert when my prescription changes.
You can buy Ranger glasses with a 3 regular lens set, and just one Rx insert lens as well. So that you only have to change the one set of lenses as apposed to buying 3 sets of lenses. The Rangers will be about half the price. The Pilla's glasses are very popular right now. If your just the average Joe who shoots clubs around his home once a week. The Pilla's are probably a waste of money. If your highly competitive and travel to high end shoots, and shoot 2 to 3 times a week. Then I would go with the Pilla's. Just my 2 cents worth. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I personally do not believe the Pilla with RX inserts would have worked for me because I would be looking through the corner of the inserts in order to mount my gun to shoot. I have used Decot frames and RX lenses for 50 years and I always demand that the optical centers be offset to the left so that I can shoot a shotgun.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,026 Posts
If you have your script, check out Zenni Optical online.
I just got a pair of glasses with a 80% fuchsia tint and I can actually see the targets better. Granted they don't sit any different on my face than my regular glasses but this is the first time I've tried shooting lenses that didn't distort the images of everything BUT the target. What's really nice is they're safety rated and don't give me a migraine like the others I've tried.
Mine were less than $100 delivered.
If I clip on my amber sunglasses, combined with the fuchsia tint, targets really pop.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I have had the Ranger XLW with prescription insert and have most of the colors of lens. The Ranger frame has wrap around ear pieces or straight, I have both and both are comfortable to me. Have had them about 6 years now and just have to change insert lens when my script changes little over $100 for them.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had the Ranger XLW with prescription insert and have most of the colors of lens. The Ranger frame has wrap around ear pieces or straight, I have both and both are comfortable to me. Have had them about 6 years now and just have to change insert lens when my script changes little over $100 for them.
Guess I missed the Ranger XLW with the straight ear piece, this could work as a starter set with one color lens. Would the HD Med lens be a good all around color?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can you tell me where to find the prescription inserts? I have been to the Ranger website and searched and tried everything I can think of to see them to no avail. I have the Ranger XLW glasses and
really like them but as I age I am getting closer to needing some adjustment at distance and don't want to buy multiple lenses ect.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Same here... have had the XLW for several years and only change out the RX in the insert...just had a ne RX done and got my new insert. I use Morgan Optical...great to deal with and has been helpful...had the XLW's for well over 10 years.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought prescription XLW’s from Morgan Optical about 6 years ago. They are great glasses.

I love the fact I can accumulate many different lens colors ( I have 6) and not worry about my prescription changing with age. I think I paid $400 with three colors when I bought them.

I really like the CMT lenses on sunny days with no clouds. Don’t like the CMT’s if the sun goes behind a cloud. It’s like shooting at dusk.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
There is a 3rd option: Randolph Engineering Ranger Sporters:

Sporter

One set of Rx lenses, clip-ons for the tints you want.

For those out there that own the Pilla X6 with the Rx insert do you feel it does a good job, do you find yourself looking past the Rx lens insert onto the colored lens (if that make sense).
I don't have Pilla x6's, but I am an optician. The answer to this lies in how far you 'crawl' the stock. A lot and you might ; head straighter up, you probably won't.

We also discussed the difference between the X6 and X6 Copa Mundial that is a $400 option, I guess it gives you the option to adjust in the forehead to cheek axis (kind of a up and down thing). Anyone have this and is it worth it or just a gimmick.
That is called pantoscopic tilt,(down) or retroscopic tilt (up) , and for a non-Rx or low Rx shooter, can be handy. For a high Rx shooter, it would be set and left where the shooter desired for use with the Rx insert, as it would cause unwanted prism if moved.

If you have your script, check out Zenni Optical online.
I just got a pair of glasses with a 80% fuchsia tint and I can actually see the targets better. Granted they don't sit any different on my face than my regular glasses but this is the first time I've tried shooting lenses that didn't distort the images of everything BUT the target. What's really nice is they're safety rated and don't give me a migraine like the others I've tried.
Mine were less than $100 delivered.
If I clip on my amber sunglasses, combined with the fuchsia tint, targets really pop.
You want the OC up where you are looking when you are shooting. If your Rx is high, like mine, yes, they will distort things lower in the lens. In my case to the tune of 8 Diopters. But, I can see the birds nice and clear when I'm shooting, and that's what's important. Zenni does not raise the OC past the datum line. (1/2 of the B measurement)
So if they aren't distorting the area below where you are aiming, they are distorting where you are aiming.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have Pilla X6 with prescription insert. It is very convenient in terms of changing to different color of lens according to different types of lighting. When I put on the glasses with Rx insert, I do not see the edge of insert at all. The design of Pilla X6 lens literally covers most of the your upper face. The insert is very close to the lens. I tried wearing my glasses with and without Rx, I don't see a big difference but I can see much better with Rx insert attached!

I also own both X6 and X6 Copa Mundial. I feel that Copa Mundial is better as you can adjust the angle of lens to fit your face better. The length of the fork is also adjustable. However, I did have some problem with it. The screws kept getting loose. I contacted Pilla and sent it back. They fixed it for me. It still gets loose sometimes.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great information as usual on the forum. I need to get my Rx updated and give L&M a call back. Looking at the Ranger XLW on the low end and the Pilla X6 on the high end.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wife and I both made the switch from Rangers to the Outlaw X6 with the inserts last December. She has been needing RX lenses for last few years I got to the point last year. The Rangers are very good glasses and had great service form Morgan.
Yes it was tough to pay that kind of money for glasses but they’ve been worth it. We spent better part of a day shooting a few targets trying out the different colors kind of overwhelming because Pilla has so many to choose from.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Can you tell me where to find the prescription inserts? I have been to the Ranger website and searched and tried everything I can think of to see them to no avail. I have the Ranger XLW glasses and
really like them but as I age I am getting closer to needing some adjustment at distance and don't want to buy multiple lenses ect.

Thanks for your help.
Trufan, I don't know where you are, but any optician that sells Randolph products can order the insert and install it for you. I think I paid $100 for the insert and $60 for each script lens. If you are in Mass/NH seacoast area I can recommend someone.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Guess I missed the Ranger XLW with the straight ear piece, this could work as a starter set with one color lens. Would the HD Med lens be a good all around color?
Mr. D, I mainly use HD Dark, HD light, and Med Yellow, but most of the clubs I shoot at have tree line background. Look ar Randolph Ranger website, and click on say XLW lens and it will give you all the colors and tell you how much light they let through and what background they are best for. Subscribe to their email updates, and you get good sales, They had a 60% off sale on some frames and the XLW frames are $200. and I bought extra pair for $80. My optician could not get that price. She ordered another insert for me and now I have a spare.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts