Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know generally speaking, the barrels on a perazzi need to be rust blued because of the lead solder on the ribs.

I would assume it would be OK to hot blue the receiver/iron/trigger group though, correct?

Would there be any finish matching issues in having a rust blued barrel and hot blued everything else?

Any issues hot bluing Perazzi receivers with the "gold" inlays, as seen above?

Are the inlays really gold?

On a set of barrels without side ribs (factory made), do the rust bluing rules still hold true?

·
Registered
685 Posts
hi skeet man i have re blued perazzi barrels single and over unders hot salt using salts from epi. i have no issues with barrels or recievers, the lettering is gold and any salts will not adhere to gold silver or platinam. hope this helps thnks howard ps i really dont think this is lead soldered rib.

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
I have had my 27 yard Perazzi reblued 3X by Glenrock Blue and nothing special was done, certainly not rust blued. Their locking lugs are silver soldered on and I have to guess the ribs are also. Side ribs on O/U barrels may be a different story.

Simon above is good and he has reblued many guns with expensive engraving so I would not be apprehensive using him. Not only that, but he is one super intelligent and thoroughly experienced retired (now hobby) machinist. His machining history is long and deep with Ford Motor Company - he was a honcho with them... and he's a heck of a nice guy.

Whiz

·
Registered
227 Posts
The gold is real and will stay in the receiver. Some over polish the metal so they become too glossy. Re: the barrels - the O/U side and top ribs are soft soldered on all Perazzi's. Hot blueing if not done with extreme caution will result in loose ribs and an expensive fix. Perazzi refuses to silver solder the side ribs over concerns on barrel regulation.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Doug brings up a good point. A brand new Perazzi has a certain amount of grain showing. The factory does not polish the metal too far and the finished product has a distinctive look. Reproducing this is something that IMO distinguishes a great bluer from a good bluer.

One thing I have noticed that Giacomo does is that he either masks or polishes the bluing off of the bare metal parts that should be bare metal from the factory. Meaning a clean ejector groove, clean lockwork, polished knuckles, etc.

Whiz, can you show any details from a Glenrock'ed Perazzi? I have heard such great things about them, but I have not been able to look at the details like I have with a Giacomo blue job.

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
I normally select their 400 or 600 finish. They use a 12 step process and absolutely DO NOT "round off" lettering in the buffing process.

I just had a Perazzi in here for an action block fitting and the "new" owner thought he'd picked up a pretty new Perazzi. Unfortunately the upper tang had been re-welded and the bluing there was purple. Obviously not a Glenrock job, and the barrel lettering had the rounding from poor buffing.

What is it you wish to see? You can't tell their reblue from a factory reblue if one select the standard factory finish. About the only thing you can try to see is if the lettering is blurred.

Whiz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts