Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fitting a recoil pad for a youth shooter and saw these mentioned.
Microcell Ultra-Light Recoil Pad

Cervellati recoil pads

I see that they are listed in different thicknesses but not different sizes.
I'm installing it on a shortened length of pull semi auto with a stock dimension of 1.52 x 4.31
The recoil pad dimensions are 1.81" wide x 5.75" long

I'd have to trim it down 1.4" in overall length.
The pictures don't appear to show a hollow section, and I'm assuming they don't have a metal plate like Pachmayr Decelerators do.

Anyone have any experience with grinding down these recoil pads?
Can they be trimmed down that far?

Any opinions about these recoil pads?
Thanks

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,905 Posts
Should be fine.
No metal plate.
I’ve ground about a dozen or so microcell pads. Never a problem.
Attach the pad to the gun, use a mechanical pencil (ultra fine tip) to trace the stock onto the pad and have at it!
If I have to remove a lot, I’ll rough it out using my scroll saw then grind to fit, hand to finish.
Microcell is an excellent recoil pad.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
They could be fit to just about any stock that has enough room to hold both screws.

They are probably one of the easiest recoil pads to grind and take the least amount of effort to look nice. You will have an open cell foam texture on the exterior of the grind (you're not going to get a shiny polished surface out of it like a Kickeez), but it is what is since it's a cellular foam you're working with.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Sounds good. How do they compare to other pads for recoil reduction?
In my opinion the only thing that beats the microcell is the gooey pad, and it's a close race. The microcell is also much cheaper and should last considerably longer. I do miss the shape of the curved trap gooey pad, but it's not the end of of the world.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
If I remember correctly most of my guns have recoil pad screw spacing of 3 1/8". Will the extra 1/32" be difficult to overcome?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Posted it earlier -But proud to repeat it --you can't beat the price --bought two Microcell pads {winter and a summer pad} and a belt dic sander for the price my dealer wanted to mount one kick-eez pad -First time grinding a pad --No problems!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Easy to grind. I have a jig. Mine is perfect. I also use metal wood inserts(ez lok) and hex screws on every pad install.
That way I can remove and put pack any pad easily.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Should be fine.
No metal plate.
I’ve ground about a dozen or so microcell pads. Never a problem.
Attach the pad to the gun, use a mechanical pencil (ultra fine tip) to trace the stock onto the pad and have at it!
If I have to remove a lot, I’ll rough it out using my scroll saw then grind to fit, hand to finish.
Microcell is an excellent recoil pad.
I would like to buy a 6 or 8" grinding wheel to install on a bench grinder.
I sometimes need to fit a pad but am not sure where to purchase or the name of the wheel.
Henry

·
What squad am I on?
7,905 Posts
I would like to buy a 6 or 8" grinding wheel to install on a bench grinder.
I sometimes need to fit a pad but am not sure where to purchase or the name of the wheel.
Henry
Morning Henry:)
If I were you, I’d look into a bench top sander. I have a WEN and it was like $100 or something and is perfect for what I do. If you fit one pad it’s paid for itself.

69924851-5D94-4863-B386-A523DBF51701.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Thanks for the help.
Do I need to know the grit# of the sander or will a wide range of coarseness work ?
Henry

·
What squad am I on?
7,905 Posts
Thanks for the help.
Do I need to know the grit# of the sander or will a wide range of coarseness work ?
Henry
Depends on the pad, I have everything from 60-400. 180 is my most common.
What I find myself doing more often than not with microcell pads is removing the bulk with my scroll saw first. Makes for much faster installation without tons of grinding and cleanup.
Another tip: Get the brightest headlamp you can find. I find that even with excellent shop lighting, standing over the pad as you work casts shadows making fine lines hard to see. Wearing a headlamp allows me to clearly see my work. That way when the pad goes “Schruuummpp” I can clearly see its toast and time to start over.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
B38CFD4B-998B-42F2-AB0F-29641DF35C56.jpeg ,

Wad,
Your tip about lighting is right on the "button". This is a LED headlamp that I bought for walking to the duck blind before sunrise. Since then, I use it when grinding pads or doing woodwork. I hate to know how many $$$ of wood I have screwed up before I understood that shadows were truly my enemy.

The manufacturer name is nowhere to be found but I bought it on Amazon. If anyone Is interested, I bet they can find it by going to the Amazon site and doing a search for LED headlamps. I’ve had this particular headlamp for 3+ years and love it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts