Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a quail hunter in southeast Illinois I always get excited seeing and hearing quail while out and about in my area. In mid June I saw a covey of young birds (about 15) just barely able to fly. Two weeks ago in the same field I seen a hen with about a dozen running through a bean field. This is more young birds than I have seen in years. What are you seeing in your area?

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Had a mated pair come to our garden but only heard the one bob white calling this year.
Have not seen any little ones.
Quail in my area are few and far in between these days, too many varmits and lack of food and cover.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The quail population is way up around here. We have had three years in a row of decent rain in the spring so there is plenty of cover for them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
30 years ago, you could drive less than an hour away from here and shoot your limit before lunch using a couple of dogs. Now, you hardly ever find a single covey. Landowners and non-profits are trying to bring them back, but without much success.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I live in Mississippi and I've seen one (1) wild quail. My dad tells stories about walking for 30 minutes and shooting a limit. There are a ton of theories (fire ants; pesticides/herbicides; loss of habitat; etc.), but, whatever it is, they just aren't here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oregon here. We've been noticing the same here with our quail population. This years Californian Valley quails are everywhere, more so than in years past all over our flower and strawberry fields.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
never see any quail here in jersey and the season has been closed for a few years only certain areas can be hunted that they stock birds at

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Central Kommiefornia report as follows --- Valley quail population is good------ Mountain quail = Extinct !!! I have talked to my logger buddies that are up in the high country and they report zero for mountain quail. Just like last year. I am sure that there are a few but I won't hunt them for fear of extinction. Will have to hunt down low for the valley quail..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Central Kommiefornia report as follows --- Valley quail population is good------ Mountain quail = Extinct !!! I have talked to my logger buddies that are up in the high country and they report zero for mountain quail. Just like last year. I am sure that there are a few but I won't hunt them for fear of extinction. Will have to hunt down low for the valley quail..
Be Careful you don't run over any as you road hunt ! Also #6's in steel will do a fine job once you get out of the truck as they are everywhere down Low !

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Quail were everywhere around here, in vast numbers, but this year I've seen very few coveys. Going from my house out to the main road I used to see 3 or 4 coveys of about 15 - 18 birds each, but this year only one covey of about a dozen. Feral cats are probably the reason why.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quail were everywhere around here, in vast numbers, but this year I've seen very few coveys. Going from my house out to the main road I used to see 3 or 4 coveys of about 15 - 18 birds each, but this year only one covey of about a dozen. Feral cats are probably the reason why.
As I managed a hunting club for 10 years I traveled along its 15 1/2 mile corridor , it took me a year and a half to thin the cat population down so the Quail had a chance of survival .
I talking about 1 70 cats lost their hunting grounds but I'm sure their Happy Hunting Grounds is much better , I know ours is !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my area there are several reasons the quail population is struggling. Habitat loss is one of the easiest to see and relate to because we see it gradually declining but we can mitigate it some by putting in buffer strips for nesting and planting proper escape cover and winter food sources . Some of the less noticeable and most difficult to address is the increase in populations of deer, racoons, turkeys, opposums, and bobcats. These species are on the increase around us due to societies desire to do no harm. They all compete daily for the food and the quail are losing this battle. We all have our favorite hunting and while mine is quail it seems everything I attempt ends up helping the competition. While I don't like depopulation sometimes it is needed to keep a healthy balance.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
John Jr. Don't know where abouts you are but my grandfather owns property in Wayne city. He has had quail strips on every fence row/timber line butting up to his crops since as long as I can remember. We drive by the farm every summer (besides this year because of covid) and there is always quail running. It's great to see. I'd love to get down this year and hunt them!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John Jr. Don't know where abouts you are but my grandfather owns property in Wayne city. He has had quail strips on every fence row/timber line butting up to his crops since as long as I can remember. We drive by the farm every summer (besides this year because of covid) and there is always quail running. It's great to see. I'd love to get down this year and hunt them!
I am from Edwards county. Yes there are some great places in Wayne county. Strips along field edges work. In the past I have placed Johnny houses in these strips and believe you can reestablish quail this way. Proper plant species and predator control helps with success. Don't let covid keep you away for the most part we don't live in fear around hear. Your welcome to come shoot at the gun club North of Albion any Monday night.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I'm currently planning a trip November 7th to come down and quail hunt dono if it will work out but if it does I'll be there through that Monday and would love to get a hold of you and shoot some trap while we're down there. Makes things difficult being from northern parts of the state to get down on a Monday. We will make it happen John!

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I’ve seen loads of quail near Tucson this year. Counted more than 40 in one covey.
"SH" we don't want to be over run by out of staters.

That said opening day of dove I flushed one huge covey. Then not a five minute walk I was into another group of quail. My front yard has 5 or 6 or 7 coveys that have a couple hundred birds in them. but those are safe my wife is practicing her rifle skills for anyone that touches those.

Al

Reactions: John Jr

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm currently planning a trip November 7th to come down and quail hunt dono if it will work out but if it does I'll be there through that Monday and would love to get a hold of you and shoot some trap while we're down there. Makes things difficult being from northern parts of the state to get down on a Monday. We will make it happen John!
Sounds good I might know someone with a key if Mondays don't work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts