Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used 800. Having issues with the wad feeder. Fingers seem too short? Wads won't feed into my hulls without smashing them.
I pulled the screw from the wad feeder and now it seems out if time?
Also I can't seem to seat the primers flush?
Thank you in advance.
Gun club hulls.
Cb0175 wads.
Winchester priners.
15.5 grains of red dot.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Try taking the screw back out of the wad guide swing arm.
There is a plastic bushing that sometimes wears, and the residue ends up in the channel at the top .
Not allowing the swing arm to pivot over the hull properly. The groove is about 1/4 of an inch wide and curves at the top.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try taking the screw back out of the wad guide swing arm.
There is a plastic bushing that sometimes wears, and the residue ends up in the channel at the top .
Not allowing the swing arm to pivot over the hull properly. The groove is about 1/4 of an inch wide and curves at the top.
Ahh
Yes the plastic, I found it all crunched up!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
What Dustydoo said on the wad guide arm is correct. There is a hole in the plastic liner that the bolt must go through. If you screw the bolt out too far and you are not lined up with the hole you can punch through the liner, then the bolt may not be in deep enough to index properly. If your primer is not seating deep enough there is an adjustment that you can make on it. Best thing you can do is go to PW website and download a manual. Their address is: www.reloaders.com
Regards. Bob

·
Registered
385 Posts
Clean the track that the cam travels in to swing the wad carrier, Replace the plastic bushing (order from Wiz, or PW). Make sure the Wad carrier travels full swing as the handle is pulled and pushed. Billy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well
Thank you for the replies. Looks like I'm gonna shelve the PW for now.
Time to pull the MEC out

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
The timing for the wad guide can be off usually due to one of two things. If the rotating plate with the dies is off or the left post has come loose and is out of time. The pic from Steve 12 will time the powder and shot drop. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
847 Posts
your problem could be from a lot of things, anywhere from the star gear if it is out of time all the way to the wad guide cam you actually check the star dear and if there are worn flat spots on it that very well could be just the start of your problem, no one carries that star gear for the 800b, but you can usually find a few new ones floating around.

Mac

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The timing for the wad guide can be off usually due to one of two things. If the rotating plate with the dies is off or the left post has come loose and is out of time. The pic from Steve 12 will time the powder and shot drop. Regards, Bob
Yes
The left post is off time.

·
Registered
890 Posts
All the above is very good information. I will add this for the PW800 as it cycles thru the loading process. I am using the PW terminology as in their manuals. Pulling/pushing the handle (or hydraulic in my case) causes the cylinder to move up and down. As the cross head (with the cylinder) moves down a spring loaded pin pushes down on the index pad and causes it to move down and rotate. As it rotates the beveled edge of it engages one of the teeth on star gear which causes the main index gear to rotate. This main index gear is timed to the aluminum cylinder and secured with 2 sets of Allen set screws on either side of the cylinder. The deep screws lock the cylinder to the main gear and their shallow screws go in behind the deep screws and function more as lock screws. As the cylinder with all of the shell holders is indexed all of the shell holders (with or without hulls) must line up exactly with all of the tooling. 3 things that I have learned:
1. Periodically check all of the set/lock screws and keep tight (if securing of the main index gear to the cylinder slip timing can really get hosed up).
2. Periodically check the index pad function. I've found that a metal burr can develop inside the index pad base and affect it,
remove burr as required and keep it greased.
3. Wear can develop on the teeth of the star gear. It can be removed from its base and reversed as only one face of each
tooth mesh with the teeth on the main index gear.
4. If operating the reloader manually you should feel resistance via the handle when something is wrong. Running a electric
drive the drive clutch should slip and crosshead movement should stop. Running a hydraulic drive not so much and part(s)
can break. The star gear appears to possibly made out of magnesium and designed to be a sacrificial part.
--My PW is a 800 convertible and have loaded approx. 70 K rounds in the last 5 yrs. & have not required any adjustments.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts