Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to try out a PW and bought two used older 800B's. I guess I wanted to give myself a headache as ive had nothing but issues.

The first loader I bought has been pretty good except I can not for the life of me get the primer seating perfect. I need to get the primer a touch deeper into the hull, If I turn the screw for the primer seating out any further I will not get the click when returning the handle without forcing it. I need just a touch more depth here as the shells will shoot just fine as is but it isnt perfect and i want it to be perfect.

The second loader has just been a mess, it will probably go on ebay for parts or i will just keep it for parts. Ive had it a week or two and im already sick of the dumb thing. Amongst other issues I've also had a primer depth issue with this one which i cant wrap my head around. If i load one shell at a time the primer will seat perfect. The moment i put a new shell into station one the primer seating gets way out of whack, like barely going into the hull bad. Ive moved the screws on both stations every which way imaginable 1/4 turn at a time and cant resolve the issue. Anyone have a clue what im missing here?

ill attach a few pictures on the next post

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s a picture of the primer seating on the first unit that runs well but I can’t get perfect. This is one of the worse looking shells. Most look much better than this. I’ll have to add more photos in the morning

here’s the issue I’m describing with loader #2

· Registered
2,877 Posts
I would guess the indexing pad at the rear of the machine is probably needing adjustment.
Then reset timing ,and primer depth.
It could just be ,if those are once fired hulls ,the primers are hitting some plastic. Try drilling out the plastic to clear the Euro primer

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
James, perhaps the primer post needs raising. There's a set screw inside from underneath that may need turning clockwise from the bottom. Have you had the primer assembly off to look it over yet? These machines are not simple and you will need significant study time to succeed. Look through the thumb drive I sent you with the one I sold you recently. There's a manual there.

Your being sick of this reminds me of carburetor problems i got fed up with in my other hobby of fixing small engines. I took a break and then went on a troubleshooting binge and finally started to succeed. I do believe you will succeed if you keep at it and set aside a reaction to each attempt. It may take some fails before you get it right. Ok, what you tried didn't work. Look elsewhere.

People will say some guys like em and some don't. That's a rationalization you can toss out the window. You have a troubleshooting challenge in front of you, doubly.

Joe

· Registered
673 Posts
Looks like Cheddite primers in a Nitro 27 hull. Any chance those hulls were previously primed with the oversized primers like Fiocchi, Rio or Noble Sport? If a primer has a loose fit, the machine can set it to the right depth but when the load is compressed in the crimping process, it can push the primer out like your picture. If you can pull the proud primer out of the hull with your fingers or small tweezers then it is likely this primer size issue. If they are tight, it is the machine adjustment as is likely the case here. Good luck.

· Registered
8,427 Posts
When using off brand primers in Remington hulls it will take a few reloading to get the primers to fit correctly.

A little
research in the archives will show that the Remington primers are just enough different in shape to cause this problem. After a few reloading the pocket will conform to the off brand primers. I wouldn't recommend changing brands of primers after the first reloading.

I've shot many shells with primers like your first picture.

· Registered
519 Posts
Remington primers and primer pockets have a larger radius to their profile then some primers like Federal 209A or Win 209. As a result when seating primer with a smaller/sharper radius it comes in contact with the radius of the primer pocket before it is fully seated. As suggested by a previous poster one solution is to drill out the primer pocket slightly with the appropiately sized drill bit. Because the way a PW works if you try to seat the primer deeper by adjusting the primer seating station by raising it you will eventually concave the head of the shell. Tom

· Premium Member
610 Posts
As Joe said review the thumb drive he sent you. Remember that with the upstroke of the handle you are setting both the new hull into the die along with seating the primer. If indexing problem when loading new hull and seating primer together I think you need to check the indexing pad gap as Dustydoo stated. Been there, done that!

· Registered
112 Posts
Like yourself I recently purchased a used 800B and had similar problems getting Cheddite primers to seat flush (I was using Remington Gun Club hulls that I previously resized in a Mec Supersizer). I also experienced the problem of the depth adjustment hindering the advancement if I tried to make the primer seat any deeper. I disassembled the primer assembly (careful and don’t lose the 2 small springs as they are obsolete at PW). Pull the vertical primer post out. On mine the post was stubborn to remove as it was slightly bent. I polished the post on my drill press to remove any burrs and got some improvement but still not enough adjustment. I finally ordered a new primer post from PW and that solved the problem for my 800B as the Cheddites are now loading flush. I was careful now that the primers were seating that I didn’t go overboard with the depth setting as you can over seat the primer and dent the hull and bend the primer rod.
Can’t guarantee that we have the same problem but we have similar symptoms.
Also - if you replace your primer rod you can also get a stouter primer rod from Whiz White at S &W Supply made with a stronger alloy. Good luck. It took me over 20 hours of tinkering and 2 parts shipments until I got my 800B loading consistently and I’ll stick to Remington hulls on this loader. I still have the primer assembly trying to pass 2 primers into the groove every 15 or so rounds or so but like any loader I’ve used I watch every primer drop to make sure it is in the cup correctly. I found that a magnetic tipped parts retrieval tool is very handy to pull out the errant primer.

· Registered
1,843 Posts
I had the same problem with once fired Remington Nitro and Sts. The primer just stuck out a tad but it didn't effect the reloading procedure of the machine and when I closed the breech on my gun that was all it took to seat it flush. This wasn't perfect like you are looking for but when you reload them the next time everything seats flush. This happened when using Cheddite primers. As stated above if you use Remington primers this won't happen. I still have 5 of those PW800B/C loaders and they have a learning curve for most people . If you plan on loading different loads keep a log book of how you adjust the loader so it makes it easier to switch back and forth. I have each one of mine set up for a specific load so I don't need to make any adjustments. They are are very solid machine and I had my share of headaches when I first started using them but I learned the in's and out's and no longer need any aspirin.

· Registered
519 Posts
On your second machine where you get the primer to seat correctly when you load one at a time and then does not seat all the way with a shell in the shell seating station your shell seating post may be set too high. Make one adjustment at a time! The shell needs to be seated flush with the bottom shell holder/resizing die and there should be no drag on the cylinder when it rotates. After you are sure the shell seating post is adjusted correctly adjust the primer seating assembly. Some primers will not seat correctly in Rem shells and all that you will get by trying to get them to seat flush by adjusting the primer seating assembly is a concave case head and/or a machine out of time. If as has been suggested you drill out a little plastic from the primer pocket or use Remington primers your problem will go away. Tom

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
James, perhaps the primer post needs raising. There's a set screw inside from underneath that may need turning clockwise from the bottom. Have you had the primer assembly off to look it over yet? These machines are not simple and you will need significant study time to succeed. Look through the thumb drive I sent you with the one I sold you recently. There's a manual there.

Your being sick of this reminds me of carburetor problems i got fed up with in my other hobby of fixing small engines. I took a break and then went on a troubleshooting binge and finally started to succeed. I do believe you will succeed if you keep at it and set aside a reaction to each attempt. It may take some fails before you get it right. Ok, what you tried didn't work. Look elsewhere.

People will say some guys like em and some don't. That's a rationalization you can toss out the window. You have a troubleshooting challenge in front of you, doubly.

Joe
Oh ill get it right eventually, im determined. Ive taken a few day break and wont get back to it for a few more.

ive moved the primer post and the post on station one all over the place 1/4 turn at a time trying to find the right spot and havent succeeded to this point. seems like theres something im missing

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had the same problem with once fired Remington Nitro and Sts. The primer just stuck out a tad but it didn't effect the reloading procedure of the machine and when I closed the breech on my gun that was all it took to seat it flush. This wasn't perfect like you are looking for but when you reload them the next time everything seats flush. This happened when using Cheddite primers. As stated above if you use Remington primers this won't happen. I still have 5 of those PW800B/C loaders and they have a learning curve for most people . If you plan on loading different loads keep a log book of how you adjust the loader so it makes it easier to switch back and forth. I have each one of mine set up for a specific load so I don't need to make any adjustments. They are are very solid machine and I had my share of headaches when I first started using them but I learned the in's and out's and no longer need any aspirin.
I can deal with what i have in the first picture, they shoot fine. Same deal with winchester primers in these hulls on this machine

we will see what happens with twice fired hulls

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.