Trapshooters Forum banner

PW Shell Feeder?

901 5
Doing the final dial in on my PW shell feeder. I noticed that the opening on the bottom of the shell drop tube is smaller than the width of the shell feed ram. The ram works fine with out the shell tube installed, but once I place shell drop tube on the ram it tends to raise up as the shell is inserted. So my question is this supposed to be a friction fit or can I open up the opening a little bit?

Also any tips on lubrication for it?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,527 Posts
Yes, I had to use some fine grit sandpaper to open up the tube. Make sure you read and follow the instructions on final fit and leaving a gap between the ram and the tube. Make sure you use the correct machine position when setting the gap or you can break the tube. Every once in awhile, I take the ram block out and sand it down to clean it up and make it work smoother. NO lube needed.

· Registered
613 Posts
Try to keep the chain as loose as possible. Just tight enough for the ram to deposit the shell otherwise you can shear the roller pin. Two washers one on top of the other placed between the RAM and the plastic tube will give you a good separation while you tighten everything down. Remove the washers when done.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
I have a P/W lower feed assembly mod'd for my Spolar,using a Dillon shell feeder,the original P/W shell feeder had a motor freeze up,so that ended that.The magnetic shell seating post is a must have,IMHO.I use homemade Delrin shell feed rams for all my ga's,12,20.28 and .410,they all work perfectly.The OEM,P/W plastic shell feed tube is quite thick,but it is very brittle,indeed! many folks have cracked them,including me,so I went and mod'd that tube with Home Depot 1& 5/8th's ID.I use the same shell seating post that came with the P/W shell feeder,but I installed neodynmium magnets in the post.I use the same 12,ga seating post,for all of the ga's,it works fine.I have found that using all brass based shells,are more of a problem,than steel based hulls,as there is only the anvil in the brass based shell,for the magnet to pick up on?

· Registered
613 Posts
One other thing, make sure all of the hulls don't have anything inside of them when you put them in the hopper. Awhile back I dumped a bunch of hulls into the hopper without checking. There was a spent primer inside a case which led to a loud crunch and the breaking of metal on the machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.