Trapshooters Forum banner

PW Primer Post Issue

715 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  EEB
The primer post on my PW 800+ started sticking, meaning on the upstroke the post hesitates causing the primer to jump out of the track. I removed the primer post mechanism via the set screw but I’m befuddled as to removing the post. I’ve heard the post can bend over time but I believe a good cleaning and lube will put it right. Thanks
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
You might not need to take it out. (what a pain) Visually inspect it and hit it with air, and blow the whole thing out. You don't even have to remove it from the machine. Remove the shell station and put machine in priming mode. Look and you can see the head of the ram extended up. Hit that with air and blow out the area around it. You will be surprised how much burnt powder and debris falls into that area. (Good luck) If you have to remove the ram/rod it is a pain to get to the allen set screw on the side. Just rotate the spring a little and this will allow you easier access. Hope this helps. The picture below shows the ram or post in the up position. The red is the nossle from a can of Dust off, which is what I use to blow off debris from my machine..

· Registered
700 Posts
Jim Whiz is the go to guy for this stuff, if he still has some left. I suggest also getting one of his bars/ram that carries the primer down to the primer pin/rod from your feed ramp. If your primer is too high when sitting on the pin, the bar will catch on it and either throw it out of the primer assembly or bend this bar. The slightest bend in that bar screws up the whole process. The bar from PW is pretty frail, and the one from Jim Whiz is much stronger. Just a FYI. Jim also gives you a discount if you order both at the same time. Don't ask me how I know? It is all a learning curve in this game.

· Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whiz is difficult to get a hold of on the weekend. I hit the post assembly with contact cleaner and blew it out, lubed as recommended. Works fine now. If it messes up again I’ll order the steel post. I’ve already received the steel primer ram from him

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.