Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Both are pretty new autos very good condition spolor is a few hundred more in price. Which one would you buy?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which one would you recommend? I personally have never owned either i currently reload on a mec. Sorry i wasn't more clear.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: I have not owned a Ponsness Warren but now own a Spolar with Hydro. I still own a Dillon SL900 as well. The Spolar is a faster machine and easier on the shoulder because of the hydro unit. The Dillon is a good machine as well but a little lighter made. I like the Dillon hull feeder a lot but I like the Spolar primer system more. From friends that have had MEC machines and gone to something else they would never go back to a MEC. I am sure some of the MEC machines are fine but I don't have personal experience with them. So I would get the Spolar then the Dillon. Thanks, Eric

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
614, I have had both PW 800+, Patriot and 2 Spolars, one hydraulic and one PW electric drive.

No question in my mind Spolar. PW is a good unit, but if you want great, it will be with a Spolar. Used or new, Dicksie and Carter will support you like your are family. Good news on that front, you won't need them very often, if ever.

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
614, I have had both PW 800+, Patriot and 2 Spolars, one hydraulic and one PW electric drive.

No question in my mind Spolar. PW is a good unit, but if you want great, it will be with a Spolar. Used or new, Dicksie and Carter will support you like your are family. Good news on that front, you won't need them very often, if ever.
Which did you prefer on the Spolar; hydro or electric?

·
Registered
915 Posts
+1 Didreckson,having had the Spolar for about 15-years now and the Spolar Power load hydraulic since 1991,I would never go back to manual reloading[except for new load set up's for safety reasons] it does save you arms and produces a consistent quality load.I have had a lot of different loaders[mainly PW] and have run lots of loads through them and they will produce a quality load also.The conversation arises fairly often, about the feel you get with a manual operated loader and the loss of such,with a powered device.My answer is yes, you do get a better feel manually,but you don't need to,once set up and tweaked, the machine will take care of the rest.
One thing that is almost never stated is that with a powered device, you will almost never get a light powder load and if you do it's almost always something else,causing it?You will get what you pay for?

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
msp, both are pretty slick. Hydraulic if your goal is to just load as fast as possible is the way to go. I like the electric drive, smooth, quiet, and I relax, check things, listen to Sirius and load probably half the rate I see folks stating here. Speed is not important to me. Shell quality and consistency is. Thus I have found the Spolar with the primer vibrator to deliver primers without fail, and it settles the powder where the charge is extremely consistent. I did not realize that was a benefit to the vibrator until I got the bright idea to turn it off. I suddenly found a variation in my powder drops. Turned it back on, consistency was back. I also polished my shot bushings to drop exact grains for 1 and 1-1/8 oz with 0000 steel wool.

If you go hydraulic, find an old dot matrix printer cabinet, big one with a fan built in. Mount the pump in it, (hoses will come through the paper slot) then any pump noise is pretty much erased.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Both Electric and hydro have their pros and cons,but the IMHO,the hydro stops and gives you an audible sound,when you have done a 180 degree half cycle, the auto drive does not,you have to watch the operation and make sure you are knowing where you are at,with the Spolar ,you just hit the foot pedal and the hydro automatically,stops at the 1/2 cycle,you then put another shell on the loading post and hit the foot pedal to go and it will auto stop, at the finish cycle.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Another plus for the hydro is you can vary the speed anytime by how much you depress the foot pedal.

Reactions: 614shooter

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
I have used the hydro and it works great. One time I experienced a leak from the power unit. Not sure why. So I was thinking for use indoors maybe the electric drive would be nice.

·
Banned
365 Posts
I have both a PW 1000 L/S & an 800 CVT and Spolars and have had 3 MEC 9000's. For my money, my time, my enjoyment, and great, consistent loads there is no question, buy a Spolar. Then buy the hydraulic unit a minute later!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: I would like to add if you buy just the Spolar without the Hydro unit you might as well buy the Dillon with the hull feeder. The Hydro unit makes the Spolar great! Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
893 Posts
Never have used a Spolar but here is what I learned after installing a hydro unit on a well used PW 800 cvt. You do loose the feel of the machine when compared to one manually stroked with the handle so you have to be certain that the machine timing is set and stays perfect. I'm talking about the relationship of the index pad to star gear, star gear to main drive gear, main drive gear to the turret full of resizing shell holders and lastly the shell holders to the dies. Make sure any set and locking screws stay tight. I have loaded approx. 20,000 shells in the last 3 years since my last adjustments of any kind and the machine works flawlessly. With the hydro unit the operator can break parts if the machine gets out of time. Incidentally , I couldn't get use to the foot pedal control and elected to mount the hydraulic valve under my loading bench on the right side and protrude a stubby handle from it thru the top of the bench. This enables the operator to operate the valve from bench top side with right hand, just a flick of the fingers for up and down.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have been using a spolar for the last three years with the hydro unit, and love it. I have had other loaders, but they don't compare to the speed and reliability of the Spolar.
Lorrie

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I've never had a Spolar but I sure do like my 800+ with a hydraulic unit. I guess it's a Cadillac vs Lincoln kind of thing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just listed a non-hydro Spolar for a friend. It is near Dayton, OH. May not be what you want since it comes with 3 gauges, 12/20/28. You can see it in For sale by Member.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

I have had both the PW 800+ with the electric drive and the Spolar with the Hydrolic drive. In my experience, the Spolar does everything that I had wished that the PW would do. My opinion is the Spolar is a much better machine.

John

1 - 20 of 35 Posts