Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PW 950 Elite is not indexing reliably in spite of installing a new detent ball and spring and re-lubricating the press. The ball and spring improved the indexing, but it still does not index fully 100% of the time and this causes big problems. What else I can do to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My PW 950 Elite is not indexing reliably in spite of installing a new detent ball and spring and re-lubricating the press. The ball and spring improved the indexing, but it still does not index fully 100% of the time and this causes big problems. What else I can do to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.
There's a good chance that in a press this old the spacer that rides in the slot that runs up the center shaft has worn away and there is a considerable amount of rotational play in the cylinder. The cylinder doesn't always rotate far enough for the ball to seat in the pockets in the underside of the cylinder.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that you have described the issue. I am looking at the manual and do not see part #88 or #89 on my press. Not sure if this is what you are referring to or not? I have an early serial number press.
upload_2020-3-9_22-57-18.png

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think that you have described the issue. I am looking at the manual and do not see part #88 or #89 on my press. Not sure if this is what you are referring to or not? I have an early serial number press.
View attachment 1659667
To access the parts, index collar #81 has to be freed from the turret (shell cylinder) by removing screws #87. When the collar is lifted upward on the center shaft a spring #82 and the index collar #78 are exposed. The spring may be either a large spring washer or a large conical coil spring. You'll need to find a way to secure parts #81 and #82 up and out of the way so you can work with #78. In the edge of the index collar #78 is a Allen screw #88 that carries the spacer/roller that may be bad. Slide the collar about halfway up the shaft and put a dab of grease into the index slot below it in the center post with a cotton swab. This grease keep metal bits from sliding down the slot out of reach. Removing screw #88 will release the roller #91 or what's left of it. I've found them reduced to a pile of shavings and shards of metal. Clean the slot well to remove old grease and debris. Now the tricky part: grease the slot with a thin coating of light grease like PW's STOS, coat the roller/spacer with the same to hold it in position in the indexing slot and put it into the slot. Now you need to raise/lower the index collar to cover the roller/spacer and, looking into the screw hole, align the hole with the hole in roller/spacer so that when the screw is tightened, the plain end of the screw captures the roller/spacer and carries it up and down the center shaft. Once this is done, tighten the screw, properly mate the pin in the underside of the index collar with one of the corresponding holes in the shell cylinder, lower the other parts into position and fasten collar #81 . I like to remove excess grease from the center shaft indexing slot with a swab leaving only enough to provide lubrication for the sliding parts. Keep the slot lightly lubed and clear of debris.

The roller/spacer is a wear part and needs to be replaced periodically as it's subject to rough duty in the press. It's important to keep the cam (dog leg) in the slot at the bottom of the post clean and adequately lubed. Wear of the slot in the center post is a primary cause of indexing woes and can be addressed only by having the factory replace the post and index it properly. Whiz White @ S & W Supply in South Dakota sells hardened rollers that resist impact while the factory rollers are softer to reduce wear on the center post index slot. Your choice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
PW Bushing & Screw.jpg

Here is the bushing and screw removed from the press. There is little play between the bushing and the slot, but a good bit of play between the screw and the bushing ID. No real residue in the slot, but I do keep it cleaned and lubed. Do you think that replacing these parts will resolve the problem? I can measure the parts to get some numbers on the amount of free play.

Also, thank you very much for your detailed instruction. I had a bit of a mind block last night!

Update:
Shaft diameter .185
Bushing OD .246-.249
Bushing ID .193-.198
Avg Shaft-Bushing Gap .010

·
Registered
831 Posts
...Do you think that replacing these parts will resolve the problem? I can measure the parts to get some numbers on the amount of free play...
My doctor tells me that he can't diagnose over the phone, and that's where I am now. The index parts were my first shot because they are commonly the cause of what you described but if they aren't excessively worn (which, by your numbers they don't appear to be) than I would have to put my hands on the press and feel how it moves and operates to get you closer to the cause of your problem. It's possible something is bent and binding but I won't guess at what it might be. It even possible that even though the index parts are not badly worn that they're still not moving freely. Wish I could be of more help...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just spit balling here, but if you call Ponsness Warren you could ask if your parts are worn too much. They will have a drawing of each of those parts with a tolerance indicated for manufacturing. They may not tell you those numbers but if you measurements show 10 thou wear they should be able to give you an idea if you should replace the parts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The press moves very smoothly overall except for the last few radial degrees, and it does index, but not 100% of the time. I am going to forward a message to PW with the details. I did this last week with my parts order and they were very responsive.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sprayed some of the press down with Break Free CLP and cleaned the rotating plate and the surface that the shells ride on as well as the shell holders. The rest of the press was already cleaned and lubed. I then installed the roller bearing assembly, and remembered that when I removed the hex bolt that it was not tight, it's tight now. Then I started loading shells, loaded about 400 various Remington and Winchester hulls of varying age and condition without a hitch. The indexing snaps into position as it should. Fingers still crossed awaiting response from PW.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Good job!

Sometimes all stubborn mechanical things need is a little love! :top:

·
Registered
105 Posts
One of my 900 presses did this a few weeks ago , I removed the pin and roller that is shown in one of the posts above and found the pin was fine but the little roller had a flat spot. I also found the groove it rides in was gritty I think a piece of shot had gone down there and with the autodrive I never relized it . After cleaning and lubing the groove with stos and installing a new roller it indexes perfectly again . When the problem
happened on my press the binding was only at the very bottom and you could see a little chatter in the index ring and a slight manual down pressure would finish it indexing . The only other thing is that when you install a new roller make sure it goes together properly as the roller is installed in the groove and then the pin goes in, at least on my 900 the roller cant be put on the pin when installing because it dosent fit through the threaded hole. I put a glob of grease in the groove to hold the roller and just needed to get the pin just right I did miss the first time , but could tell right away because of the side play .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts