Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Put Whiz's new primer ram and post into my PW 900 and it works fine for STS hulls, but not so for AAs.

See the ripple on the bottom of the shell on the left? I ran a test AA with spent primers in my 900 and that's what happened. The shell on the right is from the same bin of once fired, but has not gone through the 900.

To be sure it was the primer insertion station, I ran one shell all the way through skipping the primer insertion step and did not get the problem. It's definitely the primer insertion step. I thought it might be the initial resizing step, but it's not.

I guess I'm going to have to try lowering the new post, but I'm anticipating trouble as putting that new post in was a real bear.

Suggestions?

·
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I believe the set screw at #5 needs to be lowered. The problem is the set screw at #1 needs to be loosened to make a difference in the height of #6, and when you do that the spring at 2 sends part #3 flying. Heh.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Hey Joe, with my 366 I have to adjust my primer ram when I switch from Remington hulls to Winchesters. The newer Winchesters must be a little thicker at the base than the Remingtons, and the older compression formed AAs are even thicker yet...
If I get a AACF mixed in with newer AAs I find it right away, as soon as it gets to the primer station. The machine won't cam over...

·
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Joe, with my 366 I have to adjust my primer ram when I switch from Remington hulls to Winchesters. The newer Winchesters must be a little thicker at the base than the Remingtons, and the older compression formed AAs are even thicker yet...
If I get a AACF mixed in with newer AAs I find it right away, as soon as it gets to the primer station. The machine won't cam over...
How do you adjust it for the higher base wads?

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
On my 366 all I have to do is screw the primer seating ram up or down.
I never counted the threads either way but I'm guessing it takes 3 or more full turns to go from Remington hulls to AACFs.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have always had good results when only loading one style of hull. Seem to always have problems when I mix different ones! Is this problem happening with depriming?

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Now Joe, this is with my Hornady press. I don't have a P/W 900 but when I read your posts I thought it might be of value to you...

·
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now Joe, this is with my Hornady press. I don't have a P/W 900 but when I read your posts I thought it might be of value to you...
It does help because it confirms it's related to base wad height. I've noticed the AAs do have slightly thicker base wads. Must be related to that.

·
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have always had good results when only loading one style of hull. Seem to always have problems when I mix different ones! Is this problem happening with depriming?
I'm trying to get this machine to work for STS, AA and Federal hulls without having to do any adjustments. I'm getting close with just AAs to go. Yes, this is on the deprime/prime station.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
You'll never get most presses to load different hulls interchangeably, so probably shouldn't be concerned about a little ripple. It's paper thin brass and supported by the breachface when you fire the shell, so there's no issue with safety or performance. For the sake of simplicity, I only load STS/Nitro hulls. Using Winchester primers in them offers enough of a challenge, and compounding it by mixing other types of hulls, simply seems to be asking for unwanted difficulty.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am loading on am 800+ now but ran a 900 for years. I can run AA and STS together. Just adjust the crimp for AAhs and have a little swirl in STS. I have seen the brass on an AA look like you pictured occasionally don't know what causes it.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Primer is stuck in the hull more than usual. When the primer punch tries to punch it out it pushes the brass out like that.

P/W presses don't support the bottom of the hull when depriming like other presses do.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Remington cases' primer pocket are made for Remington primers which have a different profile then Win or Fed primers. Remington primers have more radius and Win and Fed are more square so when you seat a Win or Fed primer in a Rem primer pocket it comes in contact with the radius of the primer pocket before it is fully seated. Like a previous poster stated PW doesn't support the case head and the result is what you see in the picture. Tom

·
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remington cases' primer pocket are made for Remington primers which have a different profile then Win or Fed primers. Remington primers have more radius and Win and Fed are more square so when you seat a Win or Fed primer in a Rem primer pocket it comes in contact with the radius of the primer pocket before it is fully seated. Like a previous poster stated PW doesn't support the case head and the result is what you see in the picture. Tom
Tom, my test in the picture is with Winchester 209 primers in Winchester hulls.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Doesn't matter what primer you used the reason is the primer didn't want to come out and it distorted the base of the hull!

Reactions: joe kuhn

·
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't matter what primer you used the reason is the primer didn't want to come out and it distorted the base of the hull!
Gotcha. Will punch out a primer on my Mec and run it through the 900 to confirm. (Sorry, I have to see it.)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Joe, I need to improve my reading comprehension. Sorry about that. On the downstroke do you feel undo resistance to the primer coming out or the new primer seating on the upstroke? Also do you have the adjustable primer seating assembly with the knurled ring to adjust the height?

·
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Joe, I need to improve my reading comprehension. Sorry about that. On the downstroke do you feel undo resistance to the primer coming out or the new primer seating on the upstroke? Also do you have the adjustable primer seating assembly with the knurled ring to adjust the height?
I do have the knurled ring and tried adjusting that, but then the primers didn't get inserted all the way in and the base of the shell was still rippled.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Did you call Whiz and get his input? This is like buying a part for your chevy and going to 2 Ford mechanics to get help on installing and adjustment when it doesn't work. There are like 3 true experts on PW and one no longer resides here. We used to refer to a PW as a remanufacturing machine is it 100% perfect? No it isn't but the factory isn't either, they have QC until recent years you never saw bad crimps, bulged hulls, or had fail to fires now if you get a bad flat you can find it a couple of times in one flat
In your case the only true constant should be the new primer, unless those tolerances now vary sightly. Everything else is a variable, how hard the fired primer pushed out, condition of primer pocket, even the speed of the up and down stroke are variable. I found mounting the loader to a steel plate and going hydraulic stopped that variable. I would guess reject rate is less than 1 per 100

·
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Did you call Whiz and get his input? This is like buying a part for your chevy and going to 2 Ford mechanics to get help on installing and adjustment when it doesn't work. There are like 3 true experts on PW and one no longer resides here. We used to refer to a PW as a remanufacturing machine is it 100% perfect? No it isn't but the factory isn't either, they have QC until recent years you never saw bad crimps, bulged hulls, or had fail to fires now if you get a bad flat you can find it a couple of times in one flat
In your case the only true constant should be the new primer, unless those tolerances now vary sightly. Everything else is a variable, how hard the fired primer pushed out, condition of primer pocket, even the speed of the up and down stroke are variable. I found mounting the loader to a steel plate and going hydraulic stopped that variable. I would guess reject rate is less than 1 per 100
Yes I have checked with Whiz this morning and he suggested I lower the primer post pin and/or the entire primer assembly. I have yet to do that, but will post my results.

So who are the 3 experts on PW reloaders?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts