Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@EuroJoe asked me to take a look at his older 800B so I figured, why not give it a try?

1. (Picture below is of the assembly I did get working) Primers weren't feeding right with a new primer feed assembly. I tried all kinds of combinations of washers, cams, rollers, etc and finally put the original back on and got it working in no time. See the bearing roller instead of the new slotted roller! The bearing works great. Had to put a spacer on the bolt for the bearing to keep it from rubbing against the side of the assembly. My son sized that for me perfectly. The cam cannot get between the bearing and the assembly which is key.

Red arrow points to one washer that was needed to time the slider just right. Other washer below that is needed because the screw is a little long. Took the assembly completely apart and cleaned it to start with. Has not failed yet.

2. Shells weren't crimping correctly.

Turned out the pre-crimp die was missing. It's one of those snap on ones and I happen to have one in my Mec parts bin. Problem 2 solved.

3. Index movement wasn't always complete. Sometimes you had to finish the move by hand to get everything lined up. I lengthened the index pin

a little which worked with an empty loader, but not with shells in it. Best I could do was 15 out of 20 on this test run. The bad 5 are in front (second from left is empty of shot because it ran dry on me).

Then I discovered a nasty little chip on the index pad that is not in the picture from the manual as shown above. That's right at the end of the index movement, so I'm hoping a new pad will fix this problem as well.

Part is on it's way.

It's always something.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It looks like you have a missing or broken hold down bolt that holds the ram in place,I had that happen also on one of my
800b's that I had, you can drill and tap another hole about 1/4-3/8'' down to fix.There are some small differences,with parts from the older 800B's to the newer part's,so sometimes,you may need a
little mod to get it right?

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I used a match box piece for the primer feeder . Washer was too thick.
I got good loads with the one i got for free. The post are tired but the grease was dried on them and made it hard to finish the stroke.
They are a tough loader.
Steve

·
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like you have a missing or broken hold down bolt that holds the ram in place,I had that happen also on one of my
800b's that I had, you can drill and tap another hole about 1/4-3/8'' down to fix.There are some small differences,with parts from the older 800B's to the newer part's,so sometimes,you may need a
little mod to get it right?
By 'hold down bolt' do you mean the bolt missing to the left and up a little from the red arrow in my first picture? If so, that just holds the plate down and I don't believe it's absence is causing any problems - at least not that I'm aware of. Your thoughts?

·
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not challenge Johnny to weld up and re-profile the index pad??
Haha! We discussed that, but he declined citing our poor quality Chinese stick welder which would give us soft metal on a piece we believe needs to be pretty hard.

·
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...They are a tough loader.
Steve
Tough as in durable, or tough as in difficult to figure out at times? In the latter case, I agree. I slow way down and look and test a lot. I read Whiz's documentation and go back to testing some more. I call in my expert second set of eyes (my son) and keep at it... Good project after the KitchenAid mixer we just did.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yes the hold down bolt I'm refering to,is what you,have described in your response.You can get away for a while and maybe longer,but moding it back would solve the problem.The index pad could be welded and ground back,to where it would work,it depends upon the type rod and heat range applied and using a DC + setting on a welder [if you have one]
will make quick work of that part.In the past I have had both bolts break on one of the loaders that I had.Trying to drill out the older snapped bolt hole is probably,not going to fly?

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
By 'hold down bolt' do you mean the bolt missing to the left and up a little from the red arrow in my first picture? If so, that just holds the plate down and I don't believe it's absence is causing any problems - at least not that I'm aware of. Your thoughts?
Sorry the red arrow.
Steve

·
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've moved the screw from the other assembly so the one on the machine is complete now. Here you can see both side by side. I like the one with the bearing better than the one with the grey plastic slotted piece. The cam has to be perfectly aligned vertically for it to ride in that slot consistently.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I've moved the screw from the other assembly so the one on the machine is complete now. Here you can see both side by side. I like the one with the bearing better than the one with the grey plastic slotted piece. The cam has to be perfectly aligned vertically for it to ride in that slot consistently.
View attachment 1754843
Is it working better
Steve

·
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Is it working better
Steve
It's working fine Steve. The picture at the top of this thread is for the one I got working, not the one with the problem. It worked fine without the screw. Just thought I'd move the screw so the one being used is complete.

·
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PW's are like VW's you have to know how to work on them to own one. Glad you got it fixed.
It's fixed - mostly. Waiting for a new index pad from the mfr.

Am really glad for the feedback from this site as the knowledge & experience here is remarkable.

·
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The day before the new index pad was to arrive I thought to try JB Weld on it. Rather that hide this, I think I will present it as an option (using up some sainthood per EuroJoe) and try to test if fully, but I'm running low on test components. We'll see how far I can get in order to try to help others as BadDogDog58 alludes.

Here's a before picture:

Here's the after with the JB Weld hardened via 24 hours. Better, but not perfect because of a groove at the top, near side.

Seems to work ok in the machine, but will have to test with shells to be sure.

And here is the new one beside the old one.

The edge that broke on the old one is mighty thin on the new one as shown at red arrow below. I'm skeptical. Vee shall see.

·
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The JB Weld repair fixed the indexing - crunched crimp problem. No more crimp problems as you can see here in the 25 test shells:

However, the JB Weld isn't holding up as you can see at the red arrow which is exactly where the indexing star gear hits it.

This makes sense. JB Weld isn't as durable as metal, so will move on to the new indexing pad.

One other problem in this last test is I had 2 primers not seat completely. Will raise the primer lifting post a tad from below via the screw and lock nut to try to fix this separate issue.

It's starting to feel like a real machine. No indexing issues, no difficult handle pulls. Clink, clunk and there's a new shell on my bench.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts