·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5AD4C2D2-20A3-4242-BF0A-E94CC748745E.jpeg
17AB2A5A-3615-4ED3-BD8B-A813A13E2339.jpeg
AF5F2792-0177-4DA5-ACD3-BECD020A47E0.jpeg
Guys,
What in the world would be causing this?? Only happened twice in about 5k loads but still an issue. Thank god for a PVC cutter cause it works perfect to get the hull out.

·
Banned
962 Posts
I think that stray pellet ( some times a sheared pellet ) or if your machine has excessive rock like on a wobbly table has allowed the hull die to tilt when presented to the knock out. The imprint of the knockout ram on your shell ( only visible because of the jam ) is off center and would also account for the slanted rim on the side view.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Is the timing set sot everything is in the center?

It doesn't look like the machine indexed far enough. Not sure where a stray pellet could be to cause that as there is a trough along the center of where the machine rotates.

Mine will do that on a rare occasion if a wad pedal rolled over and gets below the shot.

Did you take it apart to see if everything is OK?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,
I cut the hull rim off to get it out and then used the knock out tool after dumping shot. The wad was perfect in the hull.... I was thinking timing, but why only 2 in 5K rounds? I will call PW on Monday and see what they think, it is really odd.

·
Banned
962 Posts
Thinking more like a sheared pellet, my first thought looking at pictures without reading what archer wrote was the timing but it only happens about every 5000 so I was ruling that out

·
Banned
962 Posts
archer if you rock the die in the die holder might see how possibly might have happened, I guess your table is rock solid or the machine does not rock to much from the autodrive. anyway keep us posted what you find out.

·
Banned
962 Posts
I think your machine will be fine. If the timing was off some ugly things would have happened in other stations, when you run the autodrive with machine empty if the autodrive is set optimally there should be almost no rock at all, hope that is the case.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,396 Posts
Replace the spring on the last station (shell ejector). If the spring gets weak it will ride up and let the ejector mash the end of the shell. You might also try lubing the shell holders with some CLP Breakfree.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
when you mention tear down, dont unbolt the die carrier, I was told that is an ordeal to put back together. You can sweep under with sheet of printer paper.
I haven't had any trouble but I marked everything so I could put it back together in the same locations I took it apart from including the die carrier. You would be surprised haw much stuff accumulates under it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have had this problem with old 410 shell after they have been reloaded about 7 times.Put in newer shells and it’s fine.I think it’s the shot not filling up the shell.So I keep the shot full.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This was one of each, a new Remington STS Premier and the other was a Older Brass gun club.... I cleaned the machine very thoroughly and have ran about 2K rounds so far with no crushing, hope it was a sheared shot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had same thing occasionally happen on my 800+ hydraulic. Cause was found that occasionally it was not indexing completely, corrected by adjusting the index pad.

·
Banned
962 Posts
Thanks for the follow up, my thought is what ever it was it was temporary and isolated to the one station no damaged wad fingers etc, and if the knock out got bent from the jam you would have noticed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts