Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used 800B that I am using and slowing getting it back in operation. I was/am having an issue with the current primer feed assy not popping back up once the primer was seated into the shell. The next shell that comes along, since the primer feed didn't return the primer goes in crooked causing the shell to drive deeper into the die. This leads to an issue at the wad station as the shell doesn't clear the bottom of the wad guide. Once the shell makes it around to be ejected the primer is half in at an angle and the top of the shell is mangled.

I took out the primer feed assy and completely disassemble it, cleaned it and lubed it. I still have an issue as the primer doesn't feel like it is quiet lined up with the shell when you seat the primer. I have to lift up on the primer feed assy just before seating the primer to square it up. My friends 800plus is alot smoother in the primer seating function. The timing appears to be fine at all of the stations.

I am looking at replacing the brass primer feed assy, but at $150 (old stlye) and everything else I have bought for it I could have just about bought a new machine..........

Is that new primer feed assy worth it?

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
If the primer assembly is not returning (popping up) then the primer post is bent.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Jim is correct.

Roll the primer post on a flat surface to see where it is bent ... a few light taps with a hammer and it will be straight again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You might just consider taking Ahab's advice. My older 20 guage PW had the same issue. The slighest bow in the primer post will cause the feeder to hang. Remove it and squeeze it in a vice after you find the bow, or tap it with a hammer on a flat surface. Can save you some money and shipping. Mine is still lworking wonderfully in the older model after ordering another one, then deciding to see if I could fix it myself. I now have a couple extra posts just gathering dust. Hopefully I will never need them but I have them if I do!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip, the post was bent, I was able to straighten it out with the help of a little hammer work.

Now how do we set up the depth of the post in the assembly. I thought I had it, but the set screw backed out.

I had it set to where when I ran a single shell through the turret I didn't have any dishing of the base, but then when I ran the full turret, the primers weren't deep enough.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I noticed something similar but exactly opposite. When I specifically loaded a primer in manually it would seat fine but when I loaded up the turret I would get a noticeable dish in the base of the hull. I had to lower mine a time or two to get the exact height. I'm not the pro with these that Mr. Skeel above probably is but I just kept the turret loaded and wasted 6-7 Primer/hull combinations before I was satisfied.

If i remember correctly there is a set screw beneath Primer Post housing and then a seperate set screw on the primer assebly iteself. I had to tinker with only the Primer Post housing. I beleive I used my vice to compress the spring so the primer post wouls stay in place. Sorry if this is not much help. Been a while for me.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These things make you scratch your head. If I make an adjustment to the depth of the primer post that changes the depth of the assembly. I will give a call to PW tomorrow and see what they say about setting up the assy.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Go to ; www.swsupply.com

and look through Whizzers instructions.
I looked through his instructions, which are very good, but mine primer feed doesn't have the set screw in the bottom like he is suggesting. The top end of the primer post, rest on a machined shoulder inside the upper portion of the assembly and the bottom doesn't make it all the way down for any set screw. I tried to run a set screw up through the bottom, but it isn't threaded all the way. So......

I tried to get a tap in there to get the threads all the way so I can run a long set screw into the base from the bottom, but my tap is about a 1/2" too short to make it through. Once I get that done and new longer post that I can modify to the right length, I think I will have it fixed

Tinker tinker tinker. Love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts