Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my press. Currently own a MEC 600 & 650 and they make a respectable round, but the grass is always greener....
I reload 12 and want to reload 410, and that limits my options. So I've been hunting the internet for honest, informational opinions about the Ponsness Warren 800Plus and there isn't much out there.
The few people that post about them really like them or really hate them.
I think it might fit the bill, but I like to know how they load 410 from people with actual experience. Do they do a good job? Do you ever scrap a shell because the machine isn't fit for the job?
Another member here bought a used Spolar set up for 410 and he only had 3 dished crimps on his first run. I think that's pretty damn good. I'd like to do that or better. Is the 800 capable of that or better? If you have a different head does it ever go out of adjustment? What're the ugly crimp ratio like?

Anyone have experience with the 375 Duo? I would like one of those, but prefer the progressive.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I load 410 on my 375. Winchester AAs work fine but have a problem sometimes with Remington STS hulls.
Not sure if some of hulls were fired in a loose chambers they are hard to eject.
I have had a 800B, but just got a 800plus so will be looking for a 410 kit soon. I have 4 grand children that all shoot 410!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Years ago I went from 4 MEC Grabbers to 4 900 PW's because the 410's wobbled too much in the Grabber. The 9000 wasn't out yet. I think they've updated the Grabbers since then but I love loading 410 on the PW. It'll load a good shell if you start with a good hull. With the 800+ you swap out the whole head to change gauges thereby preserving your settings. The only machine that possibly loads a better 410 is the Spolar. I say possibly because I haven't used one myself. It's also 2x's the price of a PW. If you can find a used Spolar in good condition I would buy it. You'll have to be patient because I don't see many of them for sale. If you don't want to wait for that then buy a PW.

·
Banned
899 Posts
I shoot with guys that have Spolars and PWs and I seem to have far fewer duds than they do. In fact I have hardly any. I don't care what loader you use, speed and consistent loads don't seem to go together when loading 410. That's why the Grabber works so well with the 410, I can watch and feel everything that happens at a slow consistent pace that insures good loads.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Even very experienced loading operators will have some issues loading .410, no matter what brand press they use. The problems get worse on a progressive machine , & it really gets interesting if you add a auto or hydro drive to the mix. They even have issues at the factory, and that`s why a box of name brand .410 costs between $10 to $13 a box. They need to run the line slower than they do with 12 & 20 gage. The small base diameter allows the hull to tip just enough to cause problems with wad & shot insertion, even on a PW or Spolar that holds the hull in a shell holder. Shot bridging can also be an issue.
I load .410 on a Spolar with a PW auto drive, but I need to go much slower than I do with 12 0r 20 gage. 28 gage can be interesting also, but not as bad as .410.
Back to your question, any machine you choose will have some type of issue if you expect it to load like 12 or 20 gage. If your experienced, go for a progressive machine. If not, stick with a single stage Mec until you get experience, (and frustration) behind you. Good luck...

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
I have had the best results with the MEC Sizemaster. My load nearly fills the hull, but the Sizemaster loads all the hulls I scrounge with the same settings, just need to change powder bushings for three different hull types, Fed-Eurotrash, Remmie, and AA-HS.

I use 300MP loaded to 1380-1400 fps, works great, short hull life (who cares?).

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have done on both and use a spolar - will cost you far more for the unit 2:1. That said both will work but I can do 500 an hour in 410 if I wanted- others I know can do more. Crimps look as good and sometimes better then the factory. Mine has a pump to drive it

410 is tough to beat with any other vs a spolar

·
Registered
486 Posts
Lofat said it a nut shell. My PW 800 turns out a really nice once fired and cycles great. It's the hulls that have a couple laps on them that start generating problems. If you go with the PW you will need to buy attachment that will bolt to your machine that will clean and lube your shell holders. I spray my with silicon spray and do it often to prevent the little bugger from sticking in the shell holder. Also get a shell popper, because even with lube you will have one swell the top in final crimp and it won't push out of the shell holder. When that happen your choices are pop it or cut the top off which is a mess.
Your .410 loader requires you to slow down. No way would I want a hydraulic on a .410 loader.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
My Brother uses the 800 plus and prefers his reloads to new factory shells. He shoots registered skeet. I have a Spolar with all the guages, but only load 12 gauge (no, the other gauges aren't for sale). A good friend has a Spolar and does load .410 with no complaints.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm new to reloading with my Spolars. I was using Mec 9000h's. The 9000's in 12, 20, and 410 made fine shell's in all. I too wanted better and ended up with 2 hydraulic Spolar's. The gauge change is so quick, I almost don't need my 2nd press, but got a sweet deal on it used, so it's a keeper.
I have about 1500 410 reloads on it so far and I made my first adjustment on it last weekend. I lowered my wad guide arm a bit, and now I don't get wads snagging on the hull mouth any more. I was getting one about every 75 hulls on my ratty hulls. Now, I loaded 500 almost used up hulls and no problems. I can load 410's as fast as 12 now.
I wouldn't think of loading without hydraulics.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to see a Spolar and a Ponsness side by side to see if the Spolar is worth the extra $$$.
How many times can a Spolar reload a 410/28 shell vs the Ponsness would be interesting to me.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm a high volume reloader of 12 ga. GM plastic trap loads on a old PW 800 convertible with hydraulics. Also a reloader of 12 GM papers for 1st shot of trap doubles, & 20ga., 28ga. and .410 non toxic for hunting with a even older PW 375 single stage. I have all 4 of the gauge die sets for the 375 mounted in 2 tool heads. For me it is pure joy (even though slow) to sit down and load the sub gauges with either once fired or new primed hulls. With once fired hulls in either plastic or the 12 ga. paper I lock the crimp starter die so it doesn't rotate and index the shell holder with a partially loaded hull @ the crimp starter to ensure that the starter exactly lines up with the crimp memory. Paper or plastic crimps are more consistent than factory crimps and there is zero set up adjustments to be made when changing the gauges and zero bad crimps ever. PM me if you would like to see photos of my 12 ga. paper, 20ga. once fired reloads and 28 & .410 new primed loads.

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
I'd like to see a Spolar and a Ponsness side by side to see if the Spolar is worth the extra $$$.
How many times can a Spolar reload a 410/28 shell vs the Ponsness would be interesting to me.
My guess is they will both load a shell the equal number of times . The number of times any hull can be reloaded until it wears out has little if anything to do with what kind of loader it was loaded in .

Reactions: mike-sid

·
Registered
808 Posts
of all the reloaders made in the world the P/W 375 C is the number one. It will make a reloader out of the most
illetirate of people. I have 3 800+'s plus a Patriot and a 375C. If you have to test some loads that is the loader I always go to. With this loader you just about can't screw up.
It loads as pretty a shell a any of my progressives. My deal is I was using P/W's since the 70's. By the way I had a Spolar and a 366 also.

Mac

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I had a P/W in 410 couldnt sell it fast enough. Powder then wad next was shot which would fold a petal over and spill shot them moved to the next station. Bought a Mec and was very happy. Powder wad and shot all at the same station.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I reload 410's on my MEC Grabber. It does a very good job. I have a PW 800+ with electric drive and have all 4 heads for it. I prefer the MEC to reload my 410's over the PW. Once fired hulls reloaded on the PW is great. Multi fired 410's on the PW is no good. The hulls sometimes collapse at the base. If it does not crimp good they stick in the die and jam up the indexing of the machine. Just no problems with the MEC on 410's. Everything else gets loaded on the PW. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
279 Posts
In response to a PM from a board member about my adjustment of lowering my wad guide arm on my Spolar, I went to the reloading room and reloaded 77 410's from tonight's shooting. My test for myself was to reload these hulls which are not awful, but have seen better days. The mouths were still closed 1/2 way after being shot, or partially folded over from the crimp folds being split. I also wanted to load them almost as fast as the machine would cycle, without me trying to over rush and make stupid mistakes. I'm really happy to report that my test was a total success. All loaded without incident. I'm really loving this press.

Sorry to steer off topic, but I guess the moral of my story is that many people have great success with their various presses. When you know how to run and adjust your reloader you should be able to produce good shells. My 9000h 410 was very capable of producing quantities of good shells. My reloading has risen to a higher level with my Spolar. I was also considering a PW 800. Some of my friends reload with them, and in 410 also. I'm sure a PW would have worked for me also, they look like great presses too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts