Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a thread from 2013 on 800B sizing shells, but just want to share. I load Federal Top Guns and it seems the newer shells steel base have been giving my 800+ a fit. I have not loaded the Federal Grands with the high brass colored steel but was told they were hard to size in the machine. I bought a MEC Supersizer and have been running my shells through before loading them on the 800+. I wish I did this a long time ago, my PW runs so smooth now! It's a reloading factory now.
I did read that steel base hulls (which is most now) should be sized before loading, but I figured with the electric motor, I don't need no stinking sizer! BUT IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I always resize my steel hulls before I run them through my PW900. On the last station I can push the shell out with my finger with very little pressure, can't do that if the PW sizes the case. Much smoother and faster loading with pre sized hulls.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been super sizing for a couple years now. I don't reload steel bases but the friend that gives me his once fired STS and Nitro 27s has a gun with pretty large chambers. Hull inspection happens when I pick the hull up to resize.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks to "grizquad" for sharing his observation regarding the steel-based hulls in the sizing dies of a PW press. I had similar experience with recent Remington hulls in my 800+ and went back to Federal Gold Medals to avoid the extra sizing step with a MEC Case Conditioner. Reloading went well until my supply of old hulls was exhausted and a batch of new GMs was used. The 800+ would size the steel-based hulls, but operated roughly (even with the PW autodrive) because of the forces needed to press an empty hull into a sizing die and to eject a loaded shell. The hulls were wedged into the sizing dies so tightly that a hammer was needed to force those that had to be removed from the dies to correct loading problems (as opposed to palm pressure on the knockout dowel for older, brass-based hulls). So, the base does make a difference and not just for the Top Guns. My guess is that this issue affects all presses with sizing dies similar to those of a PW, not just the 800+ - Will start using the Case Conditioner for all hulls since my supply of older, brass-based hulls is just about gone.

Thanks,
Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts