Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When indexing my loader, the primer and the shell seat fine. However, when going to the next station the loader does not index fully until it reaches the top. The result of this, is the final punch out station is not centered. My perfectly good load is folding over on the right side and can't be knocked out of the shell die.

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
Try replacing the bushing that rides in the channel of the center post.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
First check that the turret rotates freely and the detents function. Remove all shells from the reloader. Lift up the Index Collar and check to see that the turret rotates freely and the detents center it at each station. Make sure there is nothing under the turret keeping it from rotating properly.

Does the machine index properly when it is empty?

I assume you have the "Grivory" turret. P/W has a lifetime warranty on the "Grivory" part. The indexing holes in the Grivory turret can wear and cause indexing problems. Contact P/W for a replacement part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,
Thanks for your reply. I am an idiot savant when it comes to PW terminology. I have taken the below photos to display what I have found.

I removed the Allen screw and the Half moon shape piece of plastic as shown below. At that point, I lifted the turret and the ball bearing and broken metal O-ring just fell out of the loader.

Please advise on how to proceed

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
I do not recognise the part that the steel ball is sitting on.

It appears that you need to replace the plastic "Grivory" turret (the part that holds the shell holders). Contact P/W and they will send you a new turret and instructions to replace it. You have to remove the tool head to get the turret off of the center shaft.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
It sure did not look like a P/W part!

I suggest you contact the factory and get a new "Grivory" turret.
The reason they have a lifetime warranty on the turret is because the seats for the detent ball wear.

The procedure to replace the turret is fairly straight forward. Just follow the factory instructions. The only tricky part is getting the detent ball back where it belongs. You need to put a dab of grease on one of the detent holes in the bottom of the turret then stick the detent ball to the turret and lower it directly over the seat with the spring in place. Then hold the turret down and install the keepers.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
Jim,
Thanks for your reply. I am an idiot savant when it comes to PW terminology. I have taken the below photos to display what I have found.

I removed the Allen screw and the Half moon shape piece of plastic as shown below. At that point, I lifted the turret and the ball bearing and broken metal O-ring just fell out of the loader.
Can you take a photo of the "broken metal O-ring"?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had to replace the Grivory turret on my Platinum 2000 due to wear too. It's not that difficult to do. If you follow the instructions P-W sends with the part you'll do fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The loader is already boxed up and is going back to the factory on Monday. My tolerance for screw with it ratio is very low.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Regards.

·
Registered
22,851 Posts
You caught me. That's the only reason I reload is to abuse and neglect the machine.
Touchy touchy touchy. Abuse is not necessarily purpose driven. It is often caused by ignorance. Don't know you are supposed to do routine/periodic clean and relube so it doesn't get done until something breaks or wears out.

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
The "broken metal 0-ring" the OP is referring to (shown on the magnet along with the detent ball) is what's left of the spacer roller bearing that rides in the slot in the press's center shaft. It belongs on the end of the index post that screws into the side of the indexing collar. The fact that it's split into 2 pieces probably points to the cause of the indexing problem. Since it "just fell out of the loader" points to a probable absence of grease in the slot and a history of the abuse and neglect this press has probably seen.
Yup, just like I said in post #2. :)

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
The broken 'O' ring is correctly ID'd by Unknown1. It is actually a small bushing.

If you sit in front of the machine and look at the central shaft you will see a track running in it - that track has a slight bend in it - that ring rides on a pin within that track and causes the rotation of the central plastic plate (Grivory Ring).

You might be able to just replace the ring and be OK, but if the unit has a lot of rounds through it that central shaft may need to be replaced - it is the major wear item in the 2000 loaders - lots of stress on it... (replacing the central shaft is a true pain - it needs to be indexed correctly or the unit will not work, but there are no indexing marks to guide you... In other words you need to know what you are doing).

Further, given that things have been running poorly the main Grivory ring might also need to be replaced - plastic after all (again, it is a warranty item).

Track down Whiz White... S & W Supply Co. - Jim 'Whiz' White - Ponsness-Warren, Perazzi Sales & Gunsmithing Services

I had a similar thing happen to mine and Whiz fixed it perfectly and quickly.

A side note, if the Grivory ring is shot (as was the case with mine) Whiz replaced it with a spare he had - asking only that I pay the shipping for the replacement he would get from P/W under warranty - can't get better service than that.

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
The broken 'O' ring is correctly ID'd by Unknown1. It is actually a small bushing.

If you sit in front of the machine and look at the central shaft you will see a track running in it - it has a slight bend in it - that ring rides on a pin within that track and causes the rotation of the central plastic plate (Grivory Ring).

You might be able to just replace the ring and be OK, but if the unit has a lot of rounds through it that central shaft may need to be replaced - it is the major wear item in the 2000 loaders - lots of stress on it... (replacing the central shaft is a true pain - it needs to be indexed correctly or the unit will not work, but there are no indexing marks to guide you... In other words you need to know what you are doing).

Further, given that things have been running poorly the main ring might also need to be replaced - plastic after all (again, it is a warranty item).

Track down Whiz White... S & W Supply Co. - Jim 'Whiz' White - Ponsness-Warren, Perazzi Sales & Gunsmithing Services

I had a similar thing happen to mine and Whiz fixed it perfectly and quickly.

A side note, if the Grivory ring is shot Whiz replaced it with a spare he had - asking only that I pay the shipping for the replacement he would get from P/W under warranty - can't get better service than that.
Post #2 :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts