Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He everyone I'm looking for a little help with my pw 2000. I'm having issues with a fresh empty hull seating all the way in the first sizing die. It then hangs up and wont index. If I give it more force then normal it will finally seat but then its hard on the primer seating and messes up my crimping stages as well. I'm using old style AA hulls some are once fires and some have been reloaded a few times. When everything goes smoothly man can it make some beautiful loads and is a joy to load on. As of right now not so much. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried sizing the hull on a MEC super sizer before loading. I know my PW takes everything after using the super sizer.
I have had others say to try this as well but is it worth the time and hassle? At that point wouldn't it be easier to just set up my old 366 and use only it? Hopeing there is something I'm just missing. Would a spray on case lube do the trick?

· Registered
2,877 Posts
I am more familiar with the 800b.
But I would guess indexing plate may be out of adjustment. This is the primary point of timing and where everything else is adjusted from on the 800B
If you haven't already, take the indexing plate completely out and apart. I will guess over time gunk has built up where is supposed to stop.

· Registered
697 Posts
I asked myself the same question. Then after using one I found that my 800+ ran a lot smoother and less effort. Yes, I say it is worth the time to size the shells. Also, not having to lube them is a plus, not that I did shotgun shells any how.
It is up to you. Find a friend with one, and try it out. Then make your decision. Some of my friends who shoot often use it in their reloading.

· Supporting Vendor
6,376 Posts
He everyone I'm looking for a little help with my pw 2000. I'm having issues with a fresh empty hull seating all the way in the first sizing die. It then hangs up and wont index. If I give it more force then normal it will finally seat but then its hard on the primer seating and messes up my crimping stages as well. I'm using old style AA hulls some are once fires and some have been reloaded a few times. When everything goes smoothly man can it make some beautiful loads and is a joy to load on. As of right now not so much. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
It sounds like you need to start over setting the press up. P/W's can get really screwed up if you just keep trying to fix a stage and the root cause is on another station. Just start with an empty loader and set up station 1, then station 2, etc. Make sure the hull is FULLY SEATED in station 1. The best way to accomplish this is to use a factory shell or a hull that has been resized in a MEC Super Sizer. Bring the operating handle down to the stop and adjust the seating post until you can feel tension on the shell holder (i.e. the shell holder will not wiggle).

Most P/W problems are rooted in stations 1 & 2. If you are fully seating the hull at the primer station (#2) you will experience problems that will cause you to chase your tail.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sounds like you need to start over setting the press up. P/W's can get really screwed up if you just keep trying to fix a stage and the root cause is on another station. Just start with an empty loader and set up station 1, then station 2, etc. Make sure the hull is FULLY SEATED in station 1. The best way to accomplish this is to use a factory shell or a hull that has been resized in a MEC Super Sizer. Bring the operating handle down to the stop and adjust the seating post until you can feel tension on the shell holder (i.e. the shell holder will not wiggle).

Most P/W problems are rooted in stations 1 & 2. If you are fully seating the hull at the primer station (#2) you will experience problems that will cause you to chase your tail.
Thanks for the info. I'm about 99% all my problems are at station 1 and hull not seating fully. I called a buddy and hes going to let me borrow his super sizer and then I'll go from there. I appreciate everyone's help and I'll keep you all posted. Thanks

· Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I had an 800B in 20ga. It would do just as you described. I started using my supersizer on them before running them through the PW. Problem solved. (I checked the timing, lube, etc., all ok) It should not be this way and this was the only machine I had that did this. I have three other PW's, 2 800B's and an 800+ with all for gauge heads. Regards, Bob

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Like many others, I've found out that using a MEC Super Sizer before putting in my reloader saves energy, makes it run smoother and really isn't that big of a deal in time. I use the time in the MEC Super Sizer to check my shot hulls to make a decision to trash when shot out, split or just ready to discard. For the $'s, and effort, it makes everything just run smoother in most machines. Now I know all you Spolar folks will guffaw this, but it has worked for me.

· Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Empty machine out reset #1 station with a premium factory load, not some steel brass washed promo load. Once set remove the factory shell a proceed to check the rest of your adjustments. Do you run the cleaner lube schwab on your press?

· Registered
3,828 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 800b, nicely tuned up by Joe Kuhn. The last inch of movement of the up stroke took a fair amount of effort. I kept the swab lubed with some TriFlow, and it helped some!
It looked to me that the rim was thinner before the resizing than after! All once fired AA grays. Joe suggested measuring the same hull before and after, but it's tough to get an accurate measurement.
Swaging the brass somewhat would account for the extra effort???

· Premium Member
181 Posts
As already said, start from scratch setting up the loader. Start with station 1 seating the shell. Proceed to 2 adjust primer seating, then to pre-crimp station then final crimp. Any adjustment on the seating station will affect the primer station and so on.

· Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I have always just used Rem oil on the schwab. Have to remember a lot of things happen in the last 2-3" of stroke. A lot of operators don't like the ball handle and go to the shovel or Ergo handle due to the force causing discomfort in the palm of their hand. Curious also how clean is the loader and your using PW recommended lube? Curious has this been ongoing or just happened recently? Feel free to PM me and we can compare some die measurements if you want?

'

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
I have raised it a bit but the problem is I have the auto case feed and if I raise it much more then it sits higher then the feed ram and have issues there.
I'd fix the sizer issue by raising the post the shell sits on and then fix the auto case feed by raising it as well or stop using the auto case feed altogether. The sizer issue has to be fixed and raising the post the hulls sit on seems simple enough.

Nice looking shell in your picture. Pics of both issues would help.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.