Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I shot last night in some light rain and hulls in my bag got a little damp. It won't hurt to put papers in the dryer on the shoe rack that goes inside of the drum? Thanks in advance Jason.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I never tried it. I am pretty sure that excessive temperature will be a problem as well as drying them too fast. I have just set them in front of a fan. They used to be waxy, I am not sure these days.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
We used to set them in an oven on a cookie sheet, on low for about 10 minutes. I have never tried the dryer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I put 25 in just to try and it seemed to work fine. My dryer has a rack you can put in for drying shoes so they weren't bouncing around inside the drum. I also put it on low heat for 20min. They loaded fine so ill see how they hold up

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Air dry in target boxes in garage attic. Summer months are best.

I only shot Federal Papers in the rain once. I was shooting reloaded papers.

This was at the Kentucky State Shoot 20 or so years ago. I had a tube separate from the base and migrate about 6 inches up the barrel. I knew it was in there because I only ejected the brass head. The tube was really difficult to remove so I finished the event with my back up gun (Both guns were 870's). I was able to remove the paper tube by placing a wad over a dowel rod and pushing/tapping the stuck tube back into the chamber area.

Since that time, I always shoot new Gold Medal plastics if there is rain.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I do the same as Ajax, but, with a twist. I learned this trick many years ago by an old duck hunting friend. I use a couple 2x6's cut about 18" long. I then nail in a bunch of 16 penny framing nails into the board. One board can easily take 100 nails. I then put my hull over the nails, slide the boards into the oven and let them dry on low for about 10 minutes. By putting the hulls over the nails, upside down, any wax that may be left in the hulls will migrate towards the mouth of the hull which makes the hull easier to crimp. Works every time... Lloyd (mission6222) is right: We do love our Federal papers and do everything we can to stretch them out for just one more load.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
We used to set them in an oven on a cookie sheet, on low for about 10 minutes. I have never tried the dryer.
Back years ago when I was a young Buck Sgt. in the Air force, money was tight. We shot a lot of paper hulls. My Buddy (who worked in the Base sheet Metal Shop) made a sheet that held several. He punch pressed holes in it that held the them by the brass ring . He dipped them in hot candle wax and dried them in the oven. It worked GREAT and they lasted a long time.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
upload_2015-11-27_16-38-6.png

This is how I dry and rewax papers. They work like a champ.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
grunt

I can't find any Manufactor's name on them. I do know they were sold by Herter's many years ago. I have the two mounted on one board, as in the picture, and when they are totally warmed up it only takes about 15-20 seconds per shell to get the wax back in the crimp area. The older Federal papers were thicker and had more wax in them. It still makes them crimp much nicer. I have 3 of the 12 Ga, 2 for 20 Ga, which at some point I will make a bigger aluminum top so they will do 12 Ga. I also have one for 410 bore. I found 4 of them on E-Bay and one was my Dad's.

·
Registered
414 Posts
We used to put them in an old pillow case. We also use to put windjammer wads in a pillow case they came out opened up with no petals folded.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When plastic shells were relatively new my father thought they should be washed following primer removal. Some paper cases in with the plastic cases resulted in his loss of access to the laundry facilities.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hey... look... you guys are over thinking all this.

A clothes dryer can be used for many things other than drying clothes... it's a machine...

Volunteer to do the laundry and any mis-steps you may make will be forgiven.

I wont't go into alternative uses for the oven... he...he...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts