Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 2015 was our second year of shooting ATA, my son who is a sub junior won our state shoot for his special category, won one of the Handicap overall events, HOA for Subs and HAA... at the shoot we were asked if we were going to go for All American, we really did not know what that meant at the time... he did some more state shoots and got some more points, Grand, etc... So onto my question... What is the point of trying to make the All American team? So folks who I have asked told me stories about shooters getting sponsorship, shells, guns, etc. But???

I can see if he was older and we were working on a shooting resume, but at 13?

thanks!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Becoming an All American in any of the shooting sports should be considered a great accomplishment, but it's a personal decision for each shooter as to whether they want to try and make an All American Team.

·
Registered
411 Posts
When people apply for college, they get points for outside activities. Local awards are nice, state awards count more and national awards count the most. It will depend on the school to which he might apply. Southern and western schools like shooters, the liberal bastions, not so much. Yale has a skeet team and has had for a long time, so does Harvard.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
A-A is really for personal satisfaction and not much more.

If your son proves to be a VERY skilled shooter (top dozen or so in the country for his age), positions on A-A teams may help him get a scholarship to one of the very limited number of schools that offer them for shooting, if that's something he'd be interested in. Then again, the additional money you spend chasing that may eventually equal out to just paying for the school of his choice...

As far as sponsorship, at the sub junior and junior levels, no matter how good you are, they are non-existent. Even beyond that, they are very nearly non-existent anymore, unless you are one of a handful of the best shooters in the country in your given discipline.

·
Super Moderator
5,332 Posts
If "getting sponsorship, shells, guns, etc." is the motivation, I'd say forget it.

If you and your son want to see how good he can get, and be recognized for it, I'd say do it.

One of the things a lot of the young shooters gain is friendships with people from all over the country who have similar interests. That would be hard to accomplish any other way.

I think they also gain maturity. They're competing in a sport with people aged 10 to 90. There aren't many sports where you can say that.

And the two of you can compete together, another thing that is difficult to do in many other sports that your son could be involved in.

There will be some travel (as you've already noticed) and that also builds maturity and gives them experience in different situations.

The 2016 All American teams were just released. The last spot on the Sub Junior team was taken by a young lady from New Jersey with 514 points.

I'd suggest that you look her up on the Shooter Information Center and see what scores/shoots she shot to rack up 514 points. That will give you a rough idea of what you have to do to make the team.

There's no guarantee that 514 points will make the team next year, could be more, could be less.

You can read the All American team requirements here, if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
For the most part it's personal want to and recognition. Being All American will get him noticed it he wants to try for a Trapshooting scholarship (there are several schools that do have them) Also if he's in that bracket he might get a try out invite for the International teams. If he decides to go for it, it's a hard road and will take a lot of time, investment ,and dedication. Points are awarded not only for wins but, also the SIZE of the shoot attended For instance a State Shoot in a smaller state with fewer shooters will not have the points as a bigger one like Ohio, Penn etc.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
The above responses to your question are, in my opinion, well thought out, considered and expressed. As a Sr. Vet who's made several failed attempts, it's an honor, not to be taken lightly, but surely, a worthy level of attainment in this sport, acheevied by very few of the best competitive shooters who are willing to do the hard work and dedication to the goal. Good luck to the young man ...and to your family, because you're going to learn that it's a family effort in every respect. Along the way, generous servings of humble pie will be served.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Don't let any of this negativity discourage you and your son if this is a goal that you set for yourselves. If you are going to compete on a multi state level it's a worthy goal. If your son has the ability it's a worthy goal. Once obtained it's something nobody can take away and it's something that most never come close to obtaining. If you do it repeatedly there are rewards, shells, clothes, even limited gun deals. College scholarships are becoming more prevalent from partial to full rides. There are many nay sayers about AA points don't let them discourage you. Your son already qualified for a great event "The Champion of Champions" at the grand, where all state champions compete at the Grand.

I know parents who send their kids to camp after camp for football, basketball , all summer long and at considerable expense. The goal is to be one of the best and obtain a college scholarship.

You also get to spend a lot of time with your son, what' s that worth. Talk it over between the two you and if it's what you want go for it .

Many might make light of it, but they never have been there and never will be.

Have fun.

Don

·
Registered
22,911 Posts
On top of what Don said there is your Wife Unit's big deal in the SW Zone shoot. They both keep shooting like that next year and you will have a two AA family.

Reactions: Garyd

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Be prepared with plenty of cash-very prepared. It cost me around $20,000/year in the early 90's for one sub/junior shooter. Cost has certainly not gone down. Those who encourage you seek the honor should tell us how many kids/wives they personally financed.

After that, mine turned down a scholarship from a NJ university to be closer to his girlfriend at Pitt. Ultimately, p---y rules!!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Be prepared with plenty of cash-very prepared. It cost me around $20,000/year in the early 90's for one sub/junior shooter. Cost has certainly not gone down. Those who encourage you seek the honor should tell us how many kids/wives they personally financed.

After that, mine turned down a scholarship from a NJ university to be closer to his girlfriend at Pitt. Ultimately, p---y rules!!
Yeah, things like that are expensive as hell. One of my best friends spent $500 per weekend, for about 35 weekends per year, over a 5-year period so his daughter could play on a top-flight travel softball team in Southern California. She ended up getting a full-ride college scholarship.

I asked him if he'd banked all that money, wouldn't he have been able to send her to whichever college she chose? He said yeah, easily, but then she wouldn't have had all those cool experiences, and neither would he or his wife. He said it was entirely worth it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mike,

I think the "purpose of All-American" is an official recognition of those elite shooters that commited to competing against the best shooters in the world on a national level and proved to be one of them while meeting the criteria as set forth by those recognizing them. The list does not necessarily reflect ALL of the best shooters, or even place them in proper order, but it definitely includes those that made a HUGE commitment to the sport and won some major events. It is an honor to earn your way onto this list, but does not necessarily gain any special perks. For a competitor and those with an interest in the sport, it is a great way to keep track of who is shooting well and what kind of year they had. For most recreational shooters, it doesn't mean a thing and they don't recognize any of the names. Almost every single person on the All-American team stood in your shoes or your son's at some time in their life and they and a tremendous amount of supporters decided it was important to them to make the commitment and did it and had the talent and skill to earn the recognition they wanted. It's a personal decision to which there is no right or wrong answer, as it comes down to what is important to you and at what cost are you willing to sacrifice to pursue it? Many times in life it's the journey to the destination with the friends and memories made along the way that made the whole trip worthwhile.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Yeah, things like that are expensive as hell. One of my best friends spent $500 per weekend, for about 35 weekends per year, over a 5-year period so his daughter could play on a top-flight travel softball team in Southern California. She ended up getting a full-ride college scholarship.

I asked him if he'd banked all that money, wouldn't he have been able to send her to whichever college she chose? He said yeah, easily, but then she wouldn't have had all those cool experiences, and neither would he or his wife. He said it was entirely worth it.
My wife thoroughly agrees with that one. She earned a full scholarship to a Division 1 school playing Softball and it wasn't cheap for her parents either.

I told her to get ready for #2 son (the 8 yo) when he wants to qualify as most 40 hr. jobs just won't cut it. At least his monthly SS check will help some!!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
We had a daughter who ended up being recruited for a Div 1 university to play basketball on a full ride scholarship. It started in 5th grade with a local traveling team, she played at her jr high/high school and spent her summers on traveling teams and going to camps. She had the talent and the size that gave her an edge, but it took a huge amount of time/dedication/money to make it happen. I would not trade a minute that we spent supporting her efforts.
If shooting is your child's passion, share it, cherish the time together and if long the way All American recognition happens, enjoy that for the honor that it is.
Mrs. Leo Harrison III

·
Registered
399 Posts
I for one wear it like a badge of honor. If shooting registered targets is your game, only winning championships at the"big" shoots could trump it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Every minute you can spend with your child chasing the all american dream is one minute together that you will cherish forever. Also, I have seen very few busy kids get into trouble later on in their lives. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 2016 All American teams were just released. The last spot on the Sub Junior team was taken by a young lady from New Jersey with 514 points.

I'd suggest that you look her up on the Shooter Information Center and see what scores/shoots she shot to rack up 514 points. That will give you a rough idea of what you have to do to make the team.

There's no guarantee that 514 points will make the team next year, could be more, could be less.

You can read the All American team requirements here, if you haven't already done so.
Emily Malone is sub junior with 514 points you speak of. I have only been shooting a little over a year and have watched her and her Brother Justin, at the NJ,PA shoots...great kids who take this sport seriously and have the travel itinerary and registered targets to prove it. I have spoken with their Dad on numerous occasions , great guy BTW, and I believe his kids do it because they love the sport and the competition..you will spend 25k minimum to travel and shoot enough events to have a possibility for them to accumulate enough points, they still have to shoot lights out to win.
I am a newbie but the return on investment in this sport will never be Cash unless your Harlan , Nora , Marshall ect...it will be the fact that he or she set out to become the best , planned the work and then worked the plan to achieve it. They don't call it the Grand for nothing, it will cost you more than a few Grand to shoot it and you could spend a years worth of tuition just to try so even if you got a 15k shotgun from a sponsor you still have to feed it and so it begins. And in the interest of full disclosure Emily beat me in a shoot off for doubles class in the Northern Zone shoot a few weeks ago. You'll be seeing more of her and her brother Justin in the years to come I'm sure. Wish there were a lot more like them...its what this sport needs... Enjoy the journey and best of luck if you decide your kids are gonna make a run for it..time well spent win or lose IMHO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts