Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shooting a Beretta 682 Gold E. Shooting registered targets for a year with decent results..singles 94 average and handicap 92 average from the 20.

I have decided to purchase a Perazzi MX2000RS combo with the following specs..
Barrel length - Unsingle 34" and double 31.5" (my current unsingle is 34")
Chokes - Tube #10 0.040-F, #8 0.032" LF, #6 0.024" IM (currently use IM tube)
Bore - 18.4 - .725" (Perazzi standard and typical American 12 guage bore)
Rib - 4 notch adjustable
Trigger - Removable with a flat/leaf spring
Stock - will get a custom stock from either Wenig or DeVault

I am asking for suggestions because I cant screw up this purchase ($$). I am not a guy that gets into a guns spec's, I just love to shoot them and be sometimes successful. I read a lot of info on the site and get either confused or bored with the specifics.

Any thoughts on what I have picked out good or bad, red flags, concerns?

Thanks.

·
Vendor
2,101 Posts
That's a very nice gun with popular barrel lengths. No red flags at all.

The only additional advice I would make is:
1. You can order the gun with stock dimensions for you if you know what to ask for (LOP, cast, dimensions at toe, heel, grip length, etc.).
2. Ask several of the dealers what their prices are and go from there.

Several dealers will likely have this gun in stock.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The 18.4 bore is an older gun...no worries but there are those that would tell you they like the performance of the newer bigger bore 18.7 & 18.8 guns. Note that I used to be one of these guys but since have seen many Model 12's with a .722 bore break birds good at considerable distance so i am less concerned about this fact these days than I used to be.

You need to inspect the gun to make sure it is in good working order. The only other item is ....how does the gun feel. Some say that a screw choked gun can feel alittle barrel heavy.....Some say no way! The real question is how does it feel in your hands?

Also I have no experience with adjustable ribs. Theoretically they sound like a good idea but I can imagine some folks just messing with these to no end till it eventually screws them up....JMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
If you haven't shot an unsingle, I suggest you shoot one before you buy one. Might not be a problem for you, but know individuals who bought the unsingle and could not shoot it as sight picture was a problem for them. Better to find out up front then after you lay down good moeny for a gun.

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
Find a really nice used one and you can save a ton of money, my personal experience ... Don't buy something thats an altered mess, there are a lot of them out there also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Be very careful on this purchase if you never shot an unsingle before....I wish you all the luck & success in the world if you do buy it....I purchased a GA#1, MT-6 & a DB 81, shot them all poorly & I sold them for a loss after 4-5 thousand rounds of ammo. Then several years later I bought an MX-10 & my scores shot up first day I bought it......You should try to shoot one before you buy it.....Good Luck.............Pete

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Are you planning to order this gun new, or buy one that a dealer currently has in stock? You should also look at the barrel weights, as this will have a major impact on the handling of the gun.

It sounds like you may not have bought a Perazzi before. You might want to talk to Ray Stafford to walk you thru the process. He is a dealer and is very good at explaining the specs and features of the gun. He is also the RS in the 2000RS. When you spend over $10k on a gun you want to be sure you are getting what you paid for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do yourself a favor, either go to Italy like someone had already mentioned or visit Chris Batha in South Carolina.

After your visit these dims will get sent directly to Perazzi to make a custom stock. Remeber the custom stock is still in the price of your new Perazzi.

Sure you can purchase a new std stock production, but there is nothing like a perfect fit and it costs the same.

Call Perazzi USA - talk to Al ...he will point you in the right direction.

Just went thru this for my 14 year old.

·
0 Posts
click the link for a beautiful MX2005 short rib

Looks like a decent price and good savings off new

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
HI 1011 HOUND,

I had the identical situation about a year ago. I had been shooting a Beretta 682 Gold E combo successfully for two years but wanted to move to an upscale gun and, after trying several brands, settled on the Perazzi. I picked the MX2000RS and ask Dan Lokker/Giacomo to put one together for me. Primarily I was interested in a doubles gun so initially I purchased only the O/U barrel. After shooting it for several months, I loved it and purchased an unsingle from Dan. I continued to "learn" the gun but decided I was not getting the maximum it offered so I flew up to Canton, Ohio and had Dennis DeVault make a stock for me. This made a significant difference in my performance but I was inconsistent. There is a learning curve when changing guns but moving to a radical stock design like a DeVault stock compounds the process; however, it is well worth it. The first time I shot it with the new stock was at the 2013 Alabama State Tournament and I ran 98 in the first 100 of the 200 singles event. I followed that with a 94(?)shooting the second 100. The rest of the tournament was about the same--I lacked consistency. It takes some getting use to but when it works it is astounding; it is almost too easy.

To draw this dissertation to a conclusion, I am very pleased with the gun and stock. I suggest you start with the DeVault stock and skip learning to shoot the gun with the standard Perazzi stock. This will prevent grinding through two learning curves which creates unwarranted doubt and aggravation...

Hope this helps,

Doc

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ray Collins / Doc

I would really like to know the specs of your newly purchased MX2000RS. I listed what I think I am going to purchase, but am open to opinions...and with your story so close/exact to mine, I would really like to know if you can share. Thanks.

Hound

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hound,

The O/U is a 31.5" fixed choke; the bottom barrel is .020 and the top barrel is 0.030. The bore is 18.4 mm. It is also ported--it came that way.

The unsingle is 34" barrel with a fixed 0.028 choke and an 18.7 mm bore .

The trigger is a pull/pull.

Both barrels have four notch adjustable ribs which is standard on the MX2000RS.

I had Dan re-coat the receiver in silver for durability since I shoot about 45,000 rounds per year. This was a very good decision since it still looks fresh with no apparent wear.

A note on bore diameters: the difference in bore diameters does not affect the performance; however, since I intend to have Tom Wilkinson choke my barrels I need the bores to match so the chokes will be interchangeable between all barrels. I went over this with Tom this summer and he is adamant that the factory bores must be the same to retain barrel integrity; otherwise too much material would be removed on the 18.4 mm bore. Because of this I intend to purchase/swap/sell my O/U barrels for an O/U set with 18.7 bores. Matching bores are only necessary if you want fixed barrels choked and want interchangeability.

A note on porting: the porting was there when I purchased the O/U barrels. I know there are mixed feelings on porting; however, I detect a difference in lessened barrel hop which makes it easier to retain my mount after the first shot in doubles. I can not say I would have it done but I can say that it does not undermind the function of the barrels. Sure hope I don't start a "fire fight" with my comments...

A last comment on reliability is in order. I replaced the bottom hammer spring three months ago and it was a very simple process--three minutes. Also I replaced a firing pin and spring for a friend on his MX2000 two weeks ago which also was a very simple, quick process. Do not let the reliability criticism bother you--almost every failure is field addressable by design.

Cheers,

Doc

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
1011Hound, here is my two cents. I also went from a Gold E combo 24/32 to a Perazzi 35/31.5. There are a few things you have to consider.

First, your Beretta combo, if it was set up the way Beretta says it should, is designed to have all three barrels throw a different POI. Their intention is to "help" shooters. T e U barrel shoots higher than the O barrel because it is supposed to help with the rapidly rising first shot at doubles. The O barrel shoots flat for the level or dropping second bird. The top single shot even higher to help with handicap.

Perazzi ar a big step above your Beretta, and they are designed to shoot all barrels to the same POI. You may have some adjusting to do. Also, if you are the type to get hung up on bead alignment, you should be prepared to fiddle a bit with the adjustable comb and rib.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you want to shoot singles and doubles with the same comb height setting. It may or may not be possible for you. It will depend on the POI you like to shoot. If you also insist on seeing the same bead alignment, forget it.

I went with the "traditional" 35/31.5 combo because that is what everyone said I should do. It was a disaster, because I was shooting a high POI at the time (22"[email protected]). Unfortunately, if your brain insists on seeing the same bead bird relationship for every shot, the 31.5" O/U is going to shoot higher than the 34 for any POI over 9"[email protected] I replaced those barrels with a matched 35/34 combo and never looked back.

I would recommend you shoot a Perazzi a lot before you commit to buying. Then you can determine whether a "true" combo will work for you or you have to custom assemble one. The really nice thing about having your custom stock dimensions sent to Perazzi is you can also have them make your "combo" anything you want. Want an RS unsingle barrel for caps, but want it matched with 2000/10 O/U with the slightly higher rib so it shoots a tad flatter for doubles? Go for it.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a Perazzi. If I had to, I'd buy another in a heart beat. I'm just trying to caution you that standard configuration guns are not for everyone. Your shooting style might have other requirements. Since you say you can't screw up this purchase, don't. Do some due diligence first. talk to the Perazzi shooters at your club. Find out how they set their guns up for POI. Try them.

Now, if you buy the gun here you are going to get 3" chambers. The 18.7mm bore is the more desirable from a resale standpoint. If you insist on choke tubes, I'd add a #4 (.016") or even a #3 (.012) for the first shot of doubles.

My recommendation for double chokes are 3&4 if you shoot fast, 4&5 for medium and 5&6 if you are slow.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I have both Perazzi and Beretta combos i shoot both about the same scores the guns are both target breakers with little difference now shooting the Perazzi for sporting and the Beretta for trap happy with both guns. Perazzi is more money and a finer gun but Berettas will do the same for less but you will not be sorry as you will have one of the best a life time gun. Lots of good used ones around find one and have a good gunsmith check it before buying and you also get to shoot it first which is the only way I will buy a hi dollar gun. Good hunting it is the art of the deal that is enjoyable also.

·
Vendor
19,391 Posts
Buy RS model MX2000. 18.7 bore, .032 (00) top bbl, 34". If you buy a combo, get 18.7 bores, .032 top, .020 bottom. Buy New or with alterations you can live with. 18.7 bores will be similar to Wilkinson in how they feel an pattern. Devault stocks will require you to shoot "heads up". Many cannot shoot that style. Wenig stocks "New American" will allow you to shoot similarly to your 682. DeVault stocks have a learning curve.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
Seems to me you really have everything studied on the future gun. I've never seen anyone specified such details on their next gun.

I see nothing wrong on your list. You have your eyes on the most dedicated ATA gun from the best competition shotgun manufactory in the world.

There're two things on your list leaves rooms to discuss:

1) Bore size. Absolutely nothing wrong with 18.4 mm, but nowadays American trap shooters tends to like 18.7 mm or 18.8 mm bores. I have no scientific proof they are any better, but it's the trend. (American trend)

2) Custom stock. Perazzi makes over 30 different configurations in standard production stocks, your RS model came with fully adjustable comb on top of that. Unless you have unique dimensions, I see very little reason to custom made your stock.

Feel free to post your thoughts here, we have more trap experts here than any other forums you can find.

Good luck with your new gun.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts