Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were looking at a competition in California. We found all the gun transport info. We were told we could not transport ammo and had to purchase in Cali. I was reading the info on ammo purchases. Is it really that difficult to purchase shells in the state?! It looks harder to buy shells then to actually purchase a gun! HELP!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I believe you can bring what you intend to use while in CA. I would not waste the time or money to buy it in CA. Do not sell the ammo nor give some away to strangers.

It is not difficult to purchase ammo. It is just their BS process to gain more money to waste on their government overspending habits.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The laws are unclear about transporting ammunition into California as an out of state resident. The law does allow ranges to sell to anyone without the background check provided the ammunition is used at that range and is not transported off the property. Most gun clubs sell ammunition, and most big shoots have an ammunition vendor/trailer selling flats, such as the California State Shoot.
Purchasing ammunition from say, a Walmart here is not possible as an out of state license without having a COE - which you wouldn't have.
Which competition are you planning to attend?

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
The laws are unclear about transporting ammunition into California as an out of state resident.
I would not say that the law is unclear - it simply contains no prohibition on that activity. I have not been able to find anything in the law that addresses transportation of ammo into California by residents of other states for their own use - it is silent on this issue. If something is not prohibited, it is legal. I'm a resident of Nevada and just bring ammo with me when I come to California. It is my belief and understanding that this is perfectly legal.

The law does allow ranges to sell to anyone without the background check provided the ammunition is used at that range and is not transported off the property.
Correct.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
This is pulled directly from the laws text. Law only applies to residents of CA importing ammo. Once you have brought your ammo into CA you have to use it or take it back home with you. Cant sell or give it to a CA resident. You can also buy ammo at the club but it has to be used there, legally cant leave the property. Have fun, Livermore is a great club!!!

30314. (a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a resident of

this state shall not bring or transport into this state any

ammunition that he or she purchased or otherwise obtained

from outside of this state unless he or she first has that

ammunition delivered to a licensed ammunition vendor for

delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set

forth in Section 30312.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
So, according to the law, if you get in a shootoff and need ammo, you're gonna have to buy exactly what you need. If you buy a flat and only shoot 1 box, you could end up with 9 boxes of shells you're not allowed to give away or take off the grounds. I wonder if the bullet police are watching.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
So, according to the law, if you get in a shootoff and need ammo, you're gonna have to buy exactly what you need. If you buy a flat and only shoot 1 box, you could end up with 9 boxes of shells you're not allowed to give away or take off the grounds. I wonder if the bullet police are watching.
At some clubs you can also buy shells going through the background check. Those shells can go with you anywhere you like. If your buying just for the shoot off, get one box at a time. And yes they are watching and waiting to regulate ammo sales even more.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I’ve understood the new laws applies to residents of California. An out of state shooter can bring ammo into the state for their own use while visiting the state. Non residents cannot sell or give away ammo that they brought into the state. Sales of ammo and importing ammo in and out of California is restricted to residents of the state of California. I never plan to drive my Motorhome through California because of these dumb ass laws. State laws can only be enforced in the state they are made in. It’s easy to just avoid these states all together. I have a daughter in Northern California and would never consider visiting without flying in without any guns or ammo. I feel naked without carrying a gun that I have a CCW for that works in most states but not in California. As long as the politics are as screwed up as they are my visits are few and far between.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I live in California. I reload most of my ammo, but I also buy certain ammo online from out-of-state vendors with my FFL03 & COE and have it shipped directly to my home. I have not purchased ammo from a California vendor since the new background check law went into effect. But I can honestly say that in all my years of shooting pistols, rifles, and shotguns in California -- in competition, training, or just plinking -- no one has ever asked me where or how I got my ammo. No one has ever checked my guns or magazines, either, except for function testing my carry guns during CCW permit renewals.

·
Registered
32,293 Posts
People knew this was coming, should have purchased 3-4 truckloads of ammo before the law took effect.

·
Premium Member
19,416 Posts
What has Kim Rhode done for this. I know she shoots at least 300 targets a day. She told me so at the last NRA Convention we saw her at. She lives in California.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Kim and the NRA have a legal challenge to the ammo law in the system as we speak. They filed sometime ago and I don’t know where it’s stands right now.

·
Registered
456 Posts
As I stated earlier - Here you go - taken directly from Calguns.net:

"There is no requirement to utilize a CA DOJ licensed ammunition vendor or CA FFL dealer for a non-resident to import ammo into CA for personal use.

There is a restriction to the type of ammunition that can be legally imported into CA (no explosive, flechette, incendiary, handgun AP, or tracer) and to the type of ammunition that can be used while hunting (no lead ammo).

So, it is CA legal for non-resident of CA to bring non-prohibited ammo into CA for personal use."

Again, bring your own ammo and bring extra as you can never have too much. Take home what you don't use and enjoy your trip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts